Historic Defensive Slump

Old Titan

WANTED:  Point guard for aspiring Division 1 basketball team.  The ideal candidate will be at least 6'2" tall and weigh approximately 200 lbs.  High basketball IQ required.  Must be strong, quick, tough and coachable, proficient at running a D-1 offense, sharing the ball and playing lock-down defense.  Natural-born leader preferred, regardless of age or previous experience.  High school football background a definite plus.  Outside shooting touch and/or extreme athleticism a bonus, but NOT required.  Interested candidates may apply to ORU Basketball, 7777 S. Lewis Ave., Tulsa, OK 74137.

56 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

WANTED:  Point guard for aspiring Division 1 basketball team.  The ideal candidate will be at least 6'2" tall and weigh approximately 200 lbs.  High basketball IQ required.  Must be strong, quick, tough and coachable, proficient at running a D-1 offense, sharing the ball and playing lock-down defense.  Natural-born leader preferred, regardless of age or previous experience.  High school football background a definite plus.  Outside shooting touch and/or extreme athleticism a bonus, but NOT required.  Interested candidates may apply to ORU Basketball, 7777 S. Lewis Ave., Tulsa, OK 74137.

Connors St has a 6'-2" point guard averaging 12 pts and 8 assists per game with 5 games of D-1 experience  :thinking:

9 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Connors St has a 6'-2" point guard averaging 12 pts and 8 assists per game with 5 games of D-1 experience  :thinking:

LOL - not strong, not tough, not coachable. 

Questionable IQ, considering his choices re: playing time during his college career.

Next...?

Is Tre Evans a possible fix? How about trying JonTray Harris at point guard? He seems to be a good ball handler. 

Stats for KJ Malveau at Hill Junior College

GP GS Min AVG FG-FGA PCT 3FG-3FGA PCT FT-FTA PCT OFF DEF TOT AVG PF DQ A A/G TO TO/G A/TO STL STL/G PTS AVG
17 17 396 23.3 43-100 43.0 12-36 33.3 38-48 79.2 4 42 46 2.7 29 - 77 4.5 28 1.6 2.8 26 1.5 136 8.0

8 PPG
4.5 Assists per game
2.8 Turnover to assist ratio
43% FG
33% 3FG
23.3 Minutes per game

42 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Is Tre Evans a possible fix? How about trying JonTray Harris at point guard? He seems to be a good ball handler. 

Anyone know how realistic Evans coming to ORU is? If he's that much of a stud, there have to be bigger suitors pursuing him....

thru 1/15/17        

Stat                  NCAA     Summit

• FG %                       190            5
  • FG % defense           308            9
  • Rebound margin        285            9
  • Scoring defense        322             8
  • Scoring offense         178             6
  • Scoring margin          295             9
  • 3 pt FG defense         339            8
  • 3 pt FG %                   96            6
  • Turnover margin         182             5

3 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

thru 1/15/17        

Stat                  NCAA     Summit

• FG %                       190            5
  • FG % defense           308            9
  • Rebound margin        285            9
  • Scoring defense        322             8
  • Scoring offense         178             6
  • Scoring margin          295             9
  • 3 pt FG defense         339            8
  • 3 pt FG %                   96            6
  • Turnover margin         182             5

Are there even that many D1 teams? That is horrible.

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

LOL - not strong, not tough, not coachable. 

Questionable IQ, considering his choices re: playing time during his college career.

Next...?

Begs the question, who has a more questionable IQ, the young freshman or a 20+ year coaching staff? We're still playing the same cast characters that were getting minutes ahead of CC last year...  maybe he knew what he was doing? 

Hope we're not asking the same questions about McDaniel next year. 

2 hours ago, ORUIllini said:

Anyone know how realistic Evans coming to ORU is? If he's that much of a stud, there have to be bigger suitors pursuing him....

My gut is we only get him if proximity to his family is most important and Tulsa gets out of the game. This year's team certainly isn't a motivator. 

6 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Evans is being recruited by every blueblood program in the country. 

Next....

10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Evans is being recruited by every blueblood program in the country. 

Next....

I doubt we have a chance to land Evans but what other programs are recruiting him?

2 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I doubt we have a chance to land Evans but what other programs are recruiting him?

i agree Evans is a long shot.  i'm guessing he and his dad will have him stay at JUCO another year if his offers don't improve.  i don't see him settling for a Middle Tennessee or ORU.

OT may be thinking of Norman North's McDonald's All American Trae Young --- who is being recruited by every blue blood in the country and is yet to choose a school.

37 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

i agree Evans is a long shot.  i'm guessing he and his dad will have him stay at JUCO another year if his offers don't improve.  i don't see him settling for a Middle Tennessee or ORU.

OT may be thinking of Norman North's McDonald's All American Trae Young --- who is being recruited by every blue blood in the country and is yet to choose a school.

"You are correct, suh!!"

Honestly, not the first time I've confused those two.

Tre Evans has already stiffed two different D-1 programs:  OSU in the summer of 2015 on a verbal commitment when it became obvious Travis Ford was a dead man walking, and Old Dominion in March on a letter-of-intent from November, 2015.  ODU gave him a release, but with the stipulation that he could not play immediately for The University Of Tulsa, of all programs (Tampering? Daquan Jeffries?).

And all that on the heels of playing at THREE different high schools:  Edmond Santa Fe as a sophomore, Putnam West as a junior, and Edmond North his senior season.

He carries considerable baggage in the form of his father Terry Evans, former head coach at OCU and a couple of high schools in the Oklahoma City area.

All the moving around, particularly when it comes to Tre's college destination, makes you wonder if the elder Evans is using Tre to job hunt. 

And unlike HWSNBN's dad (who spent a year literally twiddling his thumbs in his wedding suit on the ORU bench), Terry Evans might not be satisfied with a simple assistant coach's gig at ORU.

He might want the whole enchilada...