Christ Chapel Facelift?

vcboy2000

I was driving down S. Lewis Ave. pass the ol alma mater and noticed a crane placing nice sky blue windows in place of what I thought were previously gold windows. I don't have a picture but can anyone confirm?

27 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Along the same lines, how is the new track stadium progressing?

Thanks Alum, I can't wait for this place to come online.  We have always done well in T&F and I think this facility will really raise the ceiling on our potential in that sport.  What a recruiting tool and how cool will it be to now have a home schedule and host our own relays!  BTW it is nice to see the continuing upgrades to our campus.

• Upvote 1

Agree that it's always nice to see improvements being made on campus, or 'new and shiny things' like this new track, and also new tennis courts supposedly with bleachers, or at least stands for spectators.  The days of our track and tennis athletes having to practice off campus, and the days of our tennis teams having to host 'home' matches at LaFortune Park or at TU are almost over.

Also like the fact that these new facilities should definitely enhance recruiting for both track and tennis, and the ability for us to host high school track meets, and who knows, maybe even high school tennis events, will be an added bonus.  I don't know how much, if any, of a bump we get from hosting the basketball (and occasionally the baseball) high school state tournaments at the Mabee Center and JLJ, but obviously it gives us a chance to directly show off those facilities, even though they're older and have started to show their age somewhat, and to have our coaches potentially be 'in the house' to scout and evaluate talent.

And speaking of showing their age, it'll be interesting to see, if I'm still alive in the next few years however many it might be, how administration might have to face the realities of having to either upgrade or replace some of our existing athletic facilities that were built a long time ago.  Even the AC, and how to handle where our volleyball team plays.  I know that during the glory days of the program, a few years after I left from working at ORU, the team was playing some if not all of their home matches at the Mabee Center.  Wonder if that might become a possibility again?  I do like the intimacy of volleyball playing in the AC, it gets really loud, especially when you pack 500 or so people in the space around and above the court.

Just kinda wish that there had been more open space on or around campus for the track, so that it could've been built more on its own and not squeezed in between Lake Evelyn and the practice facility and JLJ.  Unfortunately open space has been an issue since I was in school in the mid-to-late 80's, and probably before then.

I admire coaches like the Dials and Bev Dawson (women's tennis) and Mark Milner (men's tennis) and Sheera Sirola (volleyball) that have been able to recruit to either non-existent facilities (track and tennis) or to a home court in a building like the AC, and have a decent amount of success.  Of course there are other things about ORU, or just ORU itself, that draw in recruits, but to think about what they've been able to do in bringing in good athletes and players with what they've had to work with- and this goes for some of our other coaches as well, we should feel blessed to have who we have leading our programs, in many respects.

the track and tennis courts are coming along fine.  they took out intramural volleyball court and the soccer field. and part of the hill. there ill be bleachers and restrooms built for the complex. Baseball has a new infield.  Let the dr tell its beautiful.  I believe it will attract many more quality players to ORU in the future.  I have been at ORU off and on since 1986 I have seen many improvements and also some trying times. There is an excitement here that I have not felt before.  More building plans are coming.   It is a time of growth.  You will seen many good things to come.  GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.

• Upvote 1

Haven't seen the track facility, but the chapel looks incredible. I really had no idea just how bad it looked until the ugly gold windows came off. Looks like a brand new building. Exciting time for ORU! 

On 1/8/2017 at 6:23 PM, BlueGold said:

And speaking of showing their age, it'll be interesting to see, if I'm still alive in the next few years however many it might be, how administration might have to face the realities of having to either upgrade or replace some of our existing athletic facilities that were built a long time ago.  Even the AC, and how to handle where our volleyball team plays.  I know that during the glory days of the program, a few years after I left from working at ORU, the team was playing some if not all of their home matches at the Mabee Center.  Wonder if that might become a possibility again?  I do like the intimacy of volleyball playing in the AC, it gets really loud, especially when you pack 500 or so people in the space around and above the court.

i think they could build a "relatively" cheap volleyball facility.....a structure smaller, but similar to the indoor facility w/ a court and 750-1000 in bleacher seating.  of course it would help with fund raising if they were routinely getting to the NCAA like they used to. 

the track will be a great addition for ORU......it's just great to see ORU growing and building again!

A volleyball facility like you mention could have a wide variety of uses but might be cost prohibitive for a school of ORUs size.