ORU at Western Illinois

theeagleman5

As TheEagleman has gradually eased into old age he has learned to admit when he is wrong....and I was apparently wrong on Western Illinois.....at this point they are not the Summit League "doormat"....and if we lose to them tomorrow night ORU inherits that status....the Leathernecks has shown improvement from an awful start with recent wins at Milwaukee and IPFW and then on Wednesday night they won at home vs. SDSU....so they are 2-1 in Summit play and a win tomorrow puts them at a lofty 3-1......but I still find it hard to believe that WIU (5-9 overall) is THAT good....problem is that 4-12 ORU appears to be THAT bad.....we just can't seem to play well on the road unless the opposition is in the Top 25....ORU has yet to crack the W column on the road and with the Leathernecks playing their best basketball of the season it wouldn't seem likely that the Good Guys can find a way to win up in Macomb.....but our backs are really against the wall....we can't afford to drop to 0-3 and hope to turn this thing around....a win tomorrow could really jump start ORU with 7 of the next 9 games at the friendly (albeit empty) confines of Mabee Center.....this is really a dilemma....seems no way we should win but it's imperative that we do so.....ORU just hasn't shown the heart and talent to pull out a close game on enemy hardwood....our PG play has been substandard and our perimeter defense non existent.....but TheEagleman has never gone with the logical choice and I won't here....ORU needs to find a way to scratch out a win and I believe that we will....I will give our guys one more chance and say that after a week of rest and practice the team pulls out a close 80-77 victory to salvage the season....maybe Coach Sutton will even fire up the troops by drawing a technical like Jay Wright of Nova did the other night at Butler....whatever it takes.....ORU needs a victory and we will bring one home and start a four game home stand with some positive vibes.....GO BLUE!!!   :eagles:

I like the optimism Eagleman!  If we play well as a team like we did vs UALR, Richmond, and Michigan State, we are certainly capable of beating Western Illinois.  The question is whether or not this team can play good team-oriented basketball with ball movement and solid perimeter defense on a consistent basis.  They should be well rested and well practiced (with hopefully several recent practices under their belt), so let's see if this coaching staff has made an impact since their last game.

Who wouldn't pay $20 to see Coach Scott Sutton go ballistic on the bench and draw a T...or even a pair of T's and get ejected.....maybe that's the spark this ORU team needs....of course, a legit ball distributor at PG wouldn't hurt either.....:|

• Upvote 1

I'll make my prediction at the first media timeout...4-5 minutes of play at the start of the game will be all I need to determine W or L...

i sure hope to see a lot of fight and intensity...with a week off to prepare and the possibility of going 0-3 in conference play...ORU better bring it, and bring it from the tip!

Pretty entertaining first half. I'm watching the WIU video feed ($5.95 day pass). Close all the way and ORU is down 34-33. Both teams shooting exactly 40%. Martin hit a couple 3s, Albert got going after another slow start, and I like our chances in the second half. 

Western is good, ORU stinks....down 10, no chance to come back from that on the road...

really good use of TO's by the Western coach.  the few times ORU has strung together a 5 or 6 pt run he immediately called a TO and ended it.

Still on pace for one of if not THE worst ORU season of all time. We still need to win 4 more D1 Games to match the 1993-94 season win total.

• Upvote 1

ORU gets dominated in the final 8 min.  WIU was the superior team on the floor and on the sidelines.

if i'm Dr Wilson, i'm telling Mike Carter to start getting a list of names together.  unless things dramatically improve between now and the end of the season, a change is needed.

It is a recurrent problem going back for at least a couple years whereby we fall apart or give the game away at the end of most games.  Secondly, I do not understand how we continually fail to guard against the "3" point shot?

Pathetic....in the last few years we have gone from top 3 to doormat of the Summit League....very embarrassing....and very sad....what's next?...Sam McCants in the ORU Hall of Fame??....oh yeah.....:unsure:

I caught Valpo playing Oakland in a nationally televised conference matchup last night. Meanwhile, ORU is getting thumped by WIU in a Summit Tourney play-in game. I'd say it's time for a change, but nothing will happen.

This is Coach Sutton's what, 18th year at the helm?  I can see having "down" years but as Dr C has pointed out, unless something dramatic happens, we are on course to have THE WORST season in possibly the history of the University.

37 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

It is a recurrent problem going back for at least a couple years whereby we fall apart or give the game away at the end of most games.

No

Point

Guard.

7 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

No

Point

Guard.

Have we successfully recruited a PG since Bluitt?

1 minute ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Have we successfully recruited a PG since Bluitt?

Oh, sure:  Adam Liberty and Rod Pearson were both aces in my book. Big, tough, ran the offense, didn't look to score but could when needed.

But I think it speaks volumes that ORU's best point guard since those guys has been former manager/walk-on David Mason from down the road in Jenks. He dropped 10 dimes in a game once - that kind of production seems  incomprehensible right now.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to draw a correlation between ORU's malaise the last few seasons and the lack of talent at point guard during that same period.