Hall of Fame!

titansforever

Upon further review...that mugshot photo may not be same guy as our Sammy...the police reports lists him at 5'5"...so unless Sam shrunk by 10 inches over the last 40 years that's not him....we will find out tomorrow when he shows up to be inducted....honestly, I am hoping that Sam has become a successful businessman or something.....somebody take lots of photos....:eagles:

Good ol' Sudden Sam....back on the Mabee Center court for the first time since ORU blew an 8 point lead with under 3 minutes to play vs. Kansas in the Midwest Regional Final of the 1974 NCAA Championship....93-90....TheEagleman is still stinging from that loss 43 years later.....oh well, I need to get over it....Sam probably has....what did he have to say?...any words at all?....by the way, that's not the guy in the mugshot I saw on line...He looks pretty good in that suit and tie....:smile:

• 2 years later...

theeagleman5 - first off, the very first ORU/TU basketball game was played at the Fairgrounds Pavilion,  not the Tulsa Civic Center - I have an audio tape of that game - 85-84 TU winning in the final seconds with Sudden Sam heaving a Hail Mary shot from about 40 feet in the final 4 seconds - remembering that Willie Biles could have sealed the victory just by sinking one of two FT, but he missed both .... as for Sam getting into the ORU Hall of Fame, I am very happy for him!  Yes, and even though he played but one year, that one year was super, as Coach Trickey would say...he lead the team in scoring and was voted MVP for the NCAA Tournament ... but if you wanted to vote the team in, then you would have to include players such as Eddie Woods, Al Boswell, Greg McDougald, Duane Fox, Willis Collins and Anthony Roberts - those that played and made significant effort in the run to the Final Four ... as for character in the equation for determining HOF entry, I do agree that it should be a consideration - however, in Sam's case, the length of time it took to get him in there gave those making the decision plenty of time to investigate the 'honor code violations,' whatever they may be, and determine whether they are forgivable, making the assumption that he is a much more mature and "whole" man than he was back in the day - regardless of what we think, he is in there and I am proud to have been a part of that era of ORU basketball, even before the Mabee Center when the 3,000 seat Titan Fieldhouse was home, with the likes of Richard Fuqua, Sam McCamey, Larry Baker, Eldon Lawyer, Slim Montgomery and many other good players...

Yeah...i stand corrected on the site of that first ORU-TU game...i couldnt get a ticket...hard to come by...it was a tough loss for ORU...😞