ORU vs. Richmond

ORUTerry

The Spiders come to the Mabee Center on Friday to test ORU. Richmond is 6 and 5 on the year - winning by 20 (75 to 55) on Tuesday at James Madison.

Richmond shoots 44.8% from the field, 32.5% from the 3-pt arc and 68.2% from the free throw line - while averaging 71.6 points per game. They are being outrebounded by 3 per game. 

Their top seven players are:

Cline (6'9") - 18.0 ppg, 49.3% FG% and 7.3 rebs - he also leads the team with 54 assists (4.9 per game)

Jones (6'0") - 17.4 ppg, 45.3% FG%, 40.7% 3-pt% and 3.6 assists per game

Fore (6'0") - 10.5 ppg, 49.5% FG%, 33.3% 3-pt%, 4.4 rebs and 23 steals

Wood (6'8") - 6.7 ppg, 39.1% FG%, 3.1 rebs

Buckingham (6'4") - 6.5 ppg, 39.7% FG%, 5.5 reb

Johnson (6'3") - 6.2 ppg, 47.9% FG%, 42.3% 3-pt%, 3.7 rebs

Sherod (6'4") - 4.2 ppg, 36.4% FG%, 3.1 rebs

I hope someone in Athletics reminds the person doing the invocation Friday to lift up this young man from the Spiders - pretty scary what he went through this past week; sounds like he's very fortunate it wasn't worse when it happened:

• Upvote 1

This game will tell s A LOT about how this season might turn out.

Another win and some more confidence heading into league play and I still think this team can be a force by the conference tourney...

Voice still has us going to the Sweet 16....:-D.......but let's just take it one game at a time....this afternoon we have Richmond coming to town...not sure why the Spiders are flying halfway across the country on the day before Christmas Eve but I guess this is a game that we will return next year at their place.....TheEagleman watched Richmond earlier this season vs. Maryland and they are not bad......still, ORU is home for the holidays and hard to believe that the Spiders are very thrilled about making this trip...they just want to get home and hit the egg nog....start up the bus to the airport midway thru the 2nd half as the Good Guys roll to an 84-74 victory at Mabee Center before a sparce turnout of ORU fans.....maybe in the spirit of the Christmas, the ORU Athletic Dept should let the homeless in for free plus give then a couple hot dogs, a soda and bag of chips....seems like the right thing to do.....so lets get this victory and move on to the Summit League schedule next week.....GO BLUE!!!.....:eagles:

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

...not sure why the Spiders are flying halfway across the country on the day before Christmas Eve but I guess this is a game that we will return next year at their place.....

one of the articles i read stated that they have three or four Texas kids on their roster.  they have unsuccessfully tried to get a game in Texas the last two years.  this is the closest they could get and those guys can go straight home as soon as the game is over. 

i'm guessing it was also two teams in need of a game to round out their schedules. if i remember right, it was one of the last games we found out about.

since we discussed uniforms in the other thread, i like the jersey announcement in the gameday tweet....

Richmond Spiders have a diehard fan base.....those people in Southern VA. love them some Spider football and basketball.....this will be a scrappy game but one ORU should and needs to win.....hoping "Good Albert" shows up today and we get some solid efforts from KMart, Eman, Bradley, etc....no doubt we will be wearing the Gold unis today....GO GOLD!!!......:eagles:

Excited for this game. We don't often get well-matched mid major matchups like this outside of conference. I'm hoping against hope that our last two outings are an indication of what's to come and not just an anomaly to break up a miserable season. ORob walks away with a W in another solid defensive outing, 65-58.

ORU is +2.5 right now.....TheEagleman loves the home dog....over/under is 143.5....thinking I may tease ORU and the over which gives me ORU +8.5 and 137.5 is the number....still debating that but will definitely place a small wager on the home team with the points....I still think ORU wins a hard fought game......:hcsutton2::stuck-out-tongue-winking::eagles:

I think I can see OT sitting behind the ORU bench stuffing a couple hot dogs down his gullet.....not much D being played by ORU here....but KMart looking good just hit a long 3 ball....30-30 with 6:30 left in the first half.....:eagles:

They have gotten the ball in the post behind our zone at least 3 times :unamused:

Cline (#10) is a good player. Plays with high energy and intelligence. Having trouble matching up with him down low.  

34-34 at the 3:50 media time out....Bradley with 10....KMart with 9....TheEagleman is leaving the office in a few minutes to head home for the holiday weekend....GO GOLD!!!:eagles:

By the way...I have ORU +8.5 teased with the Over at 137.5......game is pretty high scoring so far.....40-38 ORU with 2 minutes left in the 1st half....:geek:

Halftime...ORU 42 Richmond 41....Bradley has 13 to lead the good guys.....this one could go down to the final minute......two evenly matched teams...we have a few of our guys on the bench with 2 fouls and playing small....need to get our bigs in there in the 2nd half......:eagles:

5 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

ORU playing too many minutes w/4 guards on the floor.......WHY????

I think because all our bigs have been pretty foul prone.