ORU at Arkansas

ORUalum

Lakota Beatty can LIGHT IT UP!  She is 9-11 and 5-6 from 3 for 23 points at the end of the 3rd.  We are leading by 12.  Hope we can hang on.  We have not shot one FT.

ORU has really cooled off in the 4th, luckily the Hogs are not making up much ground.....2+ left and ORU holding on to a 9 pt lead

ORU women are for real! So excited for the team and coaches!!

3rd straight Mayor's Cup. Beat top 15 OU team. Now, beat the hated Piglets!

This has the makings of a VERY special year! And, don't look now....but, this is a young team!!!!!

Just finished watching the replay on that espn3 thingy... thanks to that espn3 thingy for having the option available to watch a replay, and at any time.

We came out right from the start with a plan, and it was all about us.  Take care of our own business on both ends and we'd have success, and that's what happened.  We played fundamentally sound, especially in the first half when we boxed out well for rebounds, played solid defense, and took care of the ball (only 4 turnovers).  And our shooting really carried us, especially in the 2nd quarter when we shot 61.1% overall and 5-6 (83.3%) from 3-point.  We won the 2nd quarter 27-13 and that was pretty much the difference in the game.  Second half was less sound, but we weathered the Razorback storm, if you want to call it that, in the 3rd quarter when they tried to make a run, and were able to answer back and tie that quarter 19-all.  The 4th quarter was a lot of misses and a few too many turnovers by both teams, but we only lost it 10-8 and were able to get outta town with a nice margin and a big win over a power conference school.

Lakota was outstanding all game, 23 points, 9-12 FG, 5-6 3-pt, in 29 minutes, all off the bench.  The game seemed to turn in our favor whenever she came in, and was in the game.  She was definitely feeling it shooting-wise, and the rest of the team really seemed to feed off of how she was playing and shooting the ball.  The announcers, who I was impressed by because they weren't total Arkansas homers, complimented our team quite a few times on how they play off of each other and work so well with other, and how there seems to be a strong amount of cohesion amongst the players.  They were also impressed with our size inside with Maria and Montse, and mentioned how much of a match up problem Maria is to players that have to guard her and play against her, and also about how much skill they thought she has.  She had a really nice game today too, with 15 points (7-13 FG), 6 boards, 2 assists and 2 steals.  I was impressed once again with how versatile she is at 6-3, at how she can handle the ball like a guard but also post up and also shoot over people from 15-18 feet in.  She even hit a three today when her defender didn't come out to check her, but I was most impressed with her ability to drive from the free throw line through the lane to the basket with such ease and skill, and to finish her shots.  

Nine players got into the game and 8 scored.

We just looked like a team that came in with a purpose and a plan and we executed the plan with a purpose, the key going forward will be consistency, can we continue to play at this level consistently?  The good teams can, and I believe we are a good team, so I'm cautiously optimistic that we can carry our winning level of play and our style throughout the rest of the season.

I listened to Arkansas coach Jimmy Dykes's post game press conference and the first thing that he said was that they knew that ORU was a good team and that they (Arkansas) would be challenged, and he continued to highlight that we were a good team throughout, and was complimentary to our players, and he didn't make excuses about their having a short bench or anything, he said that sometimes as a team you don't do enough to beat a good team and they didn't.  Nice to hear that they respected us before we played them and maybe even more after we did.  It's certainly refreshing, compared to the arrogance that their fans (and Oklahoma's) have on their forums.  They think that if they're Arkansas or OU that all they have to do is show up and they're entitled to win, or something.  I've been lurking on their boards for a long time, mainly to keep up with who they're recruiting and the other interesting facts about women's hoops that they throw out there every once in a while, and it's been sweet to see the angst in their posts after our wins over both of them.  Ah, sweet victory (times 2)!

On to conference.  Go Eagles!

ORU 70  Arkansas 60....MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!.....:clap::eagles::clap:....oh, Arkansas is 10-2....ORU handed them just their 2nd loss of the season....very impressive performance by our ladies!...:geek:

Lakota is a star, and she's the general when she's on the floor. A true leader. We are so blessed to have her. And...she is part of a fantastic team, one of the best we've ever had. I also think we have outstanding coaches who make good plans and never say die, whatever the score. I love this team!