ORU at Creighton

theeagleman5

Not much to say here....the Bluejays are ranked 10th and undefeated at 10-0...they won the Paradise Jam where we distinguished ourselves by losing big to Loyola/Chi and Montana....Creighton won the final over Ole Miss...these guys can fill the bucket having broken the 100 mark three times this season.....TheEagleman scouted them last week on FoxSports and watched the Bluejays win rather easily at Nebraska.....they will win easily tomorrow night too and I expect the home team to be 20-25 point favorites and should cover that number.....Creighton has a big road game at Arizona State early next week so perhaps they will empty their bench early....it's worth noting that they have yet to have a really close game...every victory has been by double digits except for a 7 point opening game win vs. UMKC and the 9 point victory over Mississippi.....TheEagleman will hope that Creighton subs early and often and choses not to run up the score which they surely could with our porous perimeter defense....this is a top 3 or 4 seed in the NCAA tournament come March....Creighton coasts over ORU 97-71 and we drop to 2-10.....Merry Christmas!....pass the Tylenol.......:wacko::eagles::wacko:

TheEagleman is heading up to NYC for the day and won't see the game....love teasing Creighton and the over.....could be a long night for ORU....Bluejays are rested and ready after an 8 day layoff....but GO BLUE!!!.:eagles:

ORU finished the game with 6 minute scoreless streak........ouch. 

still can't finish a game, but a valiant effort.

Positives:

• Using timeouts to break up opponent's runs and settle the team
  • Won the rebounding effort

Still don't see this team making the conference tournament though.

Not into moral victories but very proud of how we played tonight.  That 6 minute scoreless streak killed us but we still took the 10th rated team in the nation to the wire.  Final score 66-65.  Hopefully we have turned the corner and get a "W" next time out.

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Still don't see this team making the conference tournament though.

Really, Dr. C???

Making the conference tournament only requires NOT finishing dead last.  Western Illinois earned its first D-1 win today (in 8 tries), but seven of those eight games were against opponents with RPIs of worse than 225.  While we have had our issues this season, we're not in the morgue.... yet.

Sounds like a great game in which the audio was unavailable online.

Were we preempted for a Broken Arrow JV ping-pong match again or what?

Yeh, I had to follow the game on the ESPN tracker.  I do not get whatever Fox regional showed it, and there was no audio so I went to the ESPN app on my I-Pad and stared at a screen.  Am I desperate or what.  BTW, I could not get the audio on either the TuneIn app or the Athletic Department's website.  Don't know the problem but the Athletic Department or whoever is in charge of broadcasting the game even on radio or over the Net has failed miserably this year.  Way to kill the fan base.

My gosh, what a strange game!

I wasn't able to watch or listen, but after looking at the box score, several things pop out:

• I wonder how many games in the shot clock era have seen NEITHER team score a point in the final three minutes of regulation?

• ORU holds the Bluejays 25 points under their scoring average and wins the rebounding effort by 10 - that's EFFORT.  Need that EVERY GAME, not just for the marquee match-ups.

• This was not just a case of Creighton sleepwalking through the game:  they shot a decent percentage on offense, only had 10 turnovers, and kept ORU in check when on defense, totally clamping our guys down after the final media timeout (a disturbing trend with this ORU team).  Their most glaring weakness was not getting to the line, and not doing much when they got there (3-of-9).

• Nice to see Darian Harris return to Omaha and show the Bluejays coaches and fans what might have been - I've always thought he could be a premier rebounder, if he just set his mind to it (8 boards Saturday night).

• Did Emmanuel get hurt?  What about Chris Miller - four minutes?

• How does Jalen play 33 minutes and not have an assist OR a turnover?  Looks like AA was doing a lot of the heavy lifting from the point (six assists, five turnovers).

• Who was the last ORU player to be as mercurial from one game to the next as AJ?  Steven Roundtree?  "Won't the real Albert Owens please stand up, please stand up, please stand up" (sung in the voice of Eminem).

So, what do we as fans take away from this game?  A very respectable showing in a game under the national spotlight, but is it a launching point for better things down the road, or just another maddening glimpse of what this team COULD be, but isn't?

"We'll see..." (said the Zen master).

Postgame comments from Creighton coach Greg McDermott (at the beginning of the video, and again midway through) - "We found a way to win":

12 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Really, Dr. C???

Making the conference tournament only requires NOT finishing dead last.  Western Illinois earned its first D-1 win today (in 8 tries), but seven of those eight games were against opponents with RPIs of worse than 225.  While we have had our issues this season, we're not in the morgue.... yet.

I would favor Western Illinois. ORU plays down to competition, has no depth, and still doesn't have a win yet. Even during the 1993-94 season (a season that saw ORU go 6-21) ORU had 3 D1 wins at this point in the season.

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Based on Sutton post game comments....

• I wonder how many games in the shot clock era have had NEITHER team score a point in the final three minutes of the game?  ------>ORU needed someone to step up in the last few minutes and knock down a shot.....it did not happen.....they played good enough to win

• ORU holds the Bluejays 25 points under their scoring average and wins the rebounding effort by 10 - that's EFFORT.  Need that EVERY GAME, not just for the marquee match-ups. 

• This was not just a case of Creighton sleepwalking through the game:  they shot a decent percentage on offense, only had 10 turnovers, and kept ORU in check when on defense, totally clamping our guys down after the final media timeout (a disturbing trend with this ORU team).  Their most glaring weakness was not getting to the line, and not doing much when they got there (3-of-9).

• Nice to see Darian Harris return to Omaha and show the Bluejays coaches and fans what might have been - I've always thought he could be a premier rebounder, if he just set his mind to it (8 boards Saturday night). -----> Giving Darian more minutes was intentional.....their 4 plays more like a perimeter player......also likes Darian's passing on the perimeter.

• Did Emmanuel get hurt? ------> Ankle What about Chris Miller - four minutes?

• How does Jalen play 33 minutes and not have an assist OR a turnover?  Looks like AA was doing a lot of the heavy lifting from the point (six assists, five turnovers).

• Who was the last ORU player to be as mercurial from one game to the next as AJ?  Steven Roundtree?  "Won't the real Albert Owens please stand up, please stand up, please stand up" (sung in the voice of Eminem).    ---------> He said he challenged AJ after the game......he outplayed a future NBA player tonight.....need same effort every night......he's not going to get 23 and 8 every game, but they can't have him disappear.

So, what do we as fans take away from this game?  A very respectable showing in a game under the national spotlight, but is it a launching point for better things down the road, or just another maddening glimpse of what this team COULD be, but isn't?

"We'll see..." (said the Zen master).