Congratualation ORU & Adair

ORU GRAD

Golden Eagles Cruise Through UT Martin 82-53

Golden Eagles are on a three-game winning streak!

Oh,  by the  way, our newest recruit just scored 50

KeniLippe drops 50 on Vinita. It’s chill chill! IM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!AAZEZQUF_bigger.jpgPWP Elite@PWPELITE_girls 12h12 hours ago

Congratulations Adair & @KeniLippe on their Adair tournament win. KJ scores 50 on Vinita. PWP Elite@PWPELITE_girls 12h12 hours ago

Congratulations Adair & @KeniLippe on their Adair tournament win. KJ scores 50 on Vinita. @ORUWBB

Yawn, another win, and another one by more than 20 points.  I could get very used to this.  My poor heart can't take it when the games are close.

Encouraged by our play so far this season, especially recently, but of course we still have a long way to go.  I remember thinking, after we gave up 96 points at Iowa in the season opener, that we better get a clue defensively going forward or we were gonna be in big trouble the rest of this season, and they went out the next game against a pretty good Northwestern team, who has one of the top 5 players in the Big Ten, and held them to 64 points.  Since then we've allowed 68, 54 (in double overtime), 65, 35 (to USAO, so it really doesn't mean a whole lot), 56, 67 (at OU), 56 and 53, so much better and much more in line with what we try to do defensively, and by doing so, to be competitive and give us realistic chances to win games.  Being strong defensively has been our modus operandi going back to last season, when it was more a philosophy based on need because we had a short bench for most of the season, but this season, I believe, we are more dangerous offensively and have more legitimate scoring options, thanks to the continuing maturation of some of our younger players, like Maria Martianez and now most recently, Ashley Beatty, and the addition of Lakota Beatty, so playing strong defense will obviously give us the chance to beat teams by 20+ much more regularly.  Maria's been really good this season so far, and Ashley's been really good of late, and Lakota's really been invaluable, with her on-the-court abilities and her leadership.

I like the makeup of this group, they seem tougher physically, mentally and emotionally.  They never seem to give up, and at least in the last couple of games they've shown that they have a killer instinct.  When they had the chance to go for the throat and put Missouri State (who beat undefeated Arkansas today btw) and UT Martin away, they did, and they didn't wilt on the road at OU when the game was tight late in the 4th quarter.  I'm proud of them for that, and for beginning to truly live up to the potential that some of us felt they had when we looked at how we might do this season.

Three straight wins and 5 out of 6, a 6-4 record and a good chance to go to 7-4 with a non-Division 1 opponent coming up next.  Though after that, games at Arizona State (who beat #15 Kentucky on the road today) and at Arkansas before starting conference play, so still a long way to go, so we'll see.

Would love to at least get Jordan Doyle back at some point this season, and having Dorka Balla be able to play at some point wouldn't be bad either, but I'm not sure what their statuses are.

And what can you say about Keni Jo Lippe, one of our three signees for next season, I would say that nothing impresses me any more about Keni Jo, she's proven that she's an elite talent, but scoring 50, well, I'd say that's pretty diggity darn good.  Way to go Keni, although I will say that if she doesn't go out and average 50 points a game for the rest of the season I'll be very disappointed.

Go Eagles!

• 3 weeks later...

Keni Jo and the Lady Warriors play in the Tournament of Champions starting tomorrow and running through Friday at the Mabee Center.  Adair, 6-0 and ranked #1 in Oklahoma Class 3A, opens the tournament against Owasso, ranked #8 in Class 6A, tomorrow night at 7pm.  

Adair and Keni Jo last played in the TOC in 2014.  She was a sophomore then and was named to the All-Tournament Team after averaging a double-double, but unfortunately the Lady Warriors only went 1-2 and finished seventh.

The TOC is in its 52nd year, it's considered the premier in-season basketball tournament in the state of Oklahoma, and it's a real honor to be invited.  Eight girls teams and eight boys teams from Classes 6A to A are in the field, and it's pretty cool that teams from different classes play against each other throughout.  It's also cool that it's set up where the winners keep advancing to the championship game and not as some kind of round-robin.

Here's some links to the tournament previews on OKPreps, which also include the brackets:

2016 TOC Girls Preview

2016 TOC Boys Preview

Adair's team breakdown from the preview:  

Adair (6-0) Ranked #1 In Class 3A

Adair returns to the Tournament Of Champions for the second time in three years. The Lady Warriors went 1-2 during their last trip in 2014, winning the seventh place game over Sterling. Keni Jo Lippe, a sophomore at the time, was named to the All Tourney team after averaging a double-double. Lippe, now a senior and ORU signee, will look to show out on her future home floor.

Under Players to Watch in the preview:

Keni Jo Lippe – Guard – Adair
Lippe has already played well in this tournament and will look to do so again. The ORU signee was outstanding in a tournament game earlier this season. The future Golden Eagle scored 50 points in a win. If she puts up numbers like that this week, it’ll be a can’t miss attraction.

OKPreps plans on streaming all 24 games of the tournament, so check it out, especially Adair's games, if you can't make it out to the Mabee.

#33 with 33 tonight, it was the first time I've actually seen her play and I was really impressed, she hit 2 long threes, drove the lane repeatedly for layups and easy baskets, and passed off to her teammates when she was doubled, like all good players she makes her team better when she's on the court.  

With the win, Adair moves on to play Class 4A #1-ranked Fort Gibson on Thursday at 5:30p in the semifinals.

Great job (so far) by Keni Jo and the Lady Warriors.

A nice feather in Keni Jo's cap, but unfortunately, Adair lost to Fort Gibson in the game referenced above, yesterday afternoon, and is currently playing in the 3rd place game against Tulsa East Central.  Adair leads 36-29 at the half, Keni Jo has 17 points and a bunch of assists and rebounds so far, hopefully she and the Lady Warriors can hang on and take third.

East Central came back and won the 3rd place game over Keni Jo and Adair, she wasn't as involved offensively as she should've been in the second half partly due to being doubled and trapped a lot more but also, for some strange reason, Adair got away from her on the offensive end, she didn't have the ball in her hands in positions to drive and score as much as she did in the first half.  Scored 24 points, but ultimately it was a disappointing tournament for Adair, going 1-2 and finishing 4th, but personally Keni Jo did well, averaging 25 ppg and becoming the tournament's all-time leading girls scorer, and also being named to the All-Tournament Team.