John Brown U. at ORU

theeagleman5

PTL for John Brown....maybe we can cancel UALR and Richmond games pencil in Johns Hopkins and John Carroll.....where is Haskell and Tabor when we need them?....obviously this will be a win for the Good Guys...if it isn't, TheEagleman may cancel Christmas in his house.....just kidding.....we need a confidence booster and John Brown fits the bill...ORU rolls 97-67 and then gets ready for four big OOC games prior to Christmas.....Missouri State, Creighton, Little Rock and Richmond.....we need to win 2 of those 4.....I still think this ORU team has talent as evidenced by how we played at Baylor, Ole Miss and Michigan State....it's time for  players AND coaches to step up.....the season really doesn't start until the Summit League games begin but it's time to get some wins on the slate.....TheEagleman still believes....GO BLUE!!!...:eagles:

After watching the ORU ladies beat up on Tenn-Martin....the ORU men are up at halftime over JBU, 49-30....nine players in the scoring column led by Eman and Anderson with 7 each....GO BLUE!!!....:eagles:

It's only John Brown but the guys seem to  be talking more on the defensive end.

They definitely look a lot more focused. And K-Mart is on fire, hitting 3s. A.A. appears to be hurting again.

ORU rolls as expected, 95-63......Five guys in double figures....KMart led with 17...Bradley 15...Owens 14.....Golden Eagles shoot  62% from the field and win the game without making a free throw...wonder if that has ever happened in ORU history?....we are now 2-8 with Missouri State next up on the road.....:eagles:

Years ago, I pleaded for ORU to schedule more (any!) of these non D-1 home games during the "guarantee game" gauntlet, if for no other reason than to re-establish some positive mojo.  My wish has been granted, though of course it's just a coincidence, because "no one in Athletics reads the message board".  I'm sure this 'scheduled win' was simply the result of someone making a donation to the Golden Eagle Club, and earmarking it for a non D-1 home game, because THAT'S the way things really get accomplished. :-D

Ball movement was actually pretty good in this game, with the exception of one starter, in whose hands the offensive flow typically dies.  This roster actually has better technique passing the ball than some previous ORU teams, but that's a pretty low bar to hurdle: some recent ORU teams were flat-out miserable passers.

All Dez McDaniel needs is more minutes - and you can guess from where I think those minutes should come.

Still giving up too many wide-open 3's - John Brown just couldn't hit them on a regular basis.

For the second home game in a row, saw some disturbingly-bad body language.  One starter rolling his eyes & turning his back on another who was trying to say something to him during a break in the action.  A starter swinging his fist in frustration for not getting the ball, while his teammate was draining a wide-open three (!)

Not good:  sure, it's not required for every successful team to be a band of brothers, but when a team is 2-8 and getting blown out a lot, you start to wonder if chemistry is a factor.

Rough week ahead - very curious how the Missouri State game will go.

LOL - Eagleman is right:  I post a half dozen antagonistic opinions, specifically designed to provoke a response, and I get bupkis.

Which begs the age-old question:  if a tree falls on a bear taking a **** in the woods, is the Pope Catholic? :-P

OT....two great posts above...I have been busy on this Monday morning in the office or I would have posted a comment earlier....your comments on body language are very disturbing and the fact that nobody says a word on the board is almost like everyone in the know agrees....we have stunk it up on the court this season and you say the guys are looking sideways at each other on the court....this isn't even practice....it's in a game........that's not good combined with the coaches' seeming lack of interest on the sidelines that others have commented on.....sounds like this has become a dysfunctional situation with ORU mens' basketball and it has me worried when a guy like OT who is close to the program voices this concern.....we don't have much senior leadership on this squad or at least the young guys aren't listening....TheEagleman is not watching these games in person or close to the program so I can't really say....but I would be interested to hear what guys like Terry, Voice and a few others have to say.....all of this does not bode well for the upcoming Summit League season.....this could end up being an historically bad year for ORU basketball...it's mid December and we have 0 D-1 wins....very very bad......it makes me sick......:puke:

TheEagleman was also contemplating our scheduling over the weekend....I totally get it that we have to get 3 maybe 4 "guarantee games" to fill the athletic coffers but no reason why we can't be getting some home/road games vs. beatable low-mid majors who are within driving distance of Tulsa....we need to play some games that we can win especially at home...not sure why other area mid major wouldn't want to play home/home series' with us.....schools like Ark-Pine Bluff, Central Arkansas, North Texas, SE Missouri St, McNeese St,  New Mexico St, Texas St, and all those Southland, Missouri Valley and Sun Belt teams.....it just seems like most of them would be in the same boat as ORU...UALR, Oakland and Richmond are good examples...I like those games........OT is right....we are getting beat down before the Summit League schedule even starts....2-8 has to weigh on these guys and it seems to me that we have the talent to be better...you can't play competitive basketball with Baylor, Ole Miss and Michigan State and not  have some talent.....but I think we need to schedule better.....heck, it's not like we are packing fans in anyway....but let's play some teams where we can get W's......:!:

I am still debating the schedule thing, but what has me troubled is that we hung with Baylor, Ole Miss and Michigan State and got blown out by Montana?  Staying with those P5 teams means we do have talent.  Getting destroyed by a bad low mid major like Montana is hard to take.  Also, what OT posted is sad if true.  He is a lot closer to the program than I am, so I differ to him.

I agree with you OT.  Schedule every low level Christian college in the tri-state area and fill the roster with 5-7 wins. We need it. I am tired of getting killed by money games on the road.  Its a long season and confidence matters.  I loved the way they played against JBU.  Until we get back to being a competitive program, I say dump the big name games.  

I understand the confidence argument, but you should only schedule a limited number of non D-1 games.  It is great to get these wins over the JBU's of the world, but at the end of the day they only mask a very deep problem.  We are a D-1 program and should be able to compete against fellow mid-majors.  Again, no offense but the program has been headed towards the current train wreck well before this year.  There is a serious issue that needs to be addressed, and not just by scheduling a group of stiffs.

Well said, ORU82....+1.....just a few years ago ORU won 27 games and was the last at large team out when in came to the Joe Lunardi NCAA tournament bracket....that was only 5 years ago....yes, we had a really good player in  DoMo but it wasn't like he went to the NBA and lit it up....we had a good bunch of guys who played well as a team....the last few seasons it seems like there isn't the cohesion on the court...no sharp passing and no passionate defense....we have gone from a top 3 Summit League team to a bottom 3 Summit League team.....changes need to be made....TheEagleman is hoping that these 2 new assistants will improve our recruiting over the next few years because the previous guys weren't getting it done.....either that we are not coaching them up after they get there....TheEagleman always thought that Scott Sutton put good fundamental teams on the court...but that has not been the case over the past few seasons and even he seems frustrated by it in his post game comments.....not sure what the answer is.....where's the passion???....:unsure:

ORU has nothing to be ashamed of scheduling easy games in November and December.

There's a TON of Power Five teams that "schedule wins" in the fall semester, especially the basement dwellers, because they know they're going to take their lumps in conference play. 

Of course, they can all afford to buy home games, which ORU can't, but I see absolutely no shame right now in scheduling as many Sisters Of The Poor as possible.

ORUIsbig nailed it:  fans want to see WINS - especially when you're getting throttled on the road every few nights

We are behind the 8 ball at ORU because we have no revenue generating sports in the Summit like many of our competitors.....Denver has hockey and soccer where they were in the NCAA Final Four for both sports this year....TheEagleman watched NDSU and SDSU play in the FCS playoffs on Saturday in front of 30.000+ in Fargo and those team routinely play to crowds like that which generates tons of cash...both those teams also play to sellout basketball crowds of 7-8,000+ most every game....it's hard to compete financially with that.....it sure looks impossible for us to compete favorably in the Summit any longer on our austere athletic budget........any thoughts?......:!:

I guess the question becomes what is the definition of an "easy win".  There are D-1 schools that can be scheduled.  JBU is not one of those schools.  The next question then becomes at what point do you wean off of that type of scheduling?  Even casual fans know when you are feasting on a steady diet of stiffs no one has heard of and will not bother to go see that type of game.  Finally, if the answer is to schedule a bunch of stiffs from now on, then the program as a whole still has serious problems and all you are doing is putting a band aide on a bleeding artery.   BTW, just read your post Eagleman.  As of a year or two ago our basketball budget was at the top end of the Summit, maybe behind Denver.  

Couple more thoughts on the $$$ issues.  Soccer at any college/university is a losing proposition when it comes to generating revenue.  Hockey gives football a close run for being a very expensive sport.  Finally, playing FCS football is also a heavily subsidized venture.  You come close to having the expenses of most FBS schools without the corresponding revenue.  The TV contracts most FBS leagues have helps to generate some serious $$$ for their member schools.

Well...as RR once said about 16-17 years ago....IS THIS WHAT I AM GETTING FOR MY $$$????....If we are spending more than most Summit schools then it's not being spent wisely....just guessing that most of those funds are going to salaries for Scott and Sean....but I have no clue.....as a 20 year employee with almost 300 wins, Scott Sutton deserves a good paycheck...:hcsutton2:.not sure about Sean, though....I can't comment.......are we spending as much on recruiting???...:geek: