ORU at OU

theeagleman5

You are correct Dr. C, and we are already well into this season so I just hope the Staff looks to what we have and perhaps figure a different approach utilizing what we do have through out the remainder of this season.  Hopefully Perry can bring in what we need to turn things around.  At the end of the day, we need guys who play fundamentally sound and as a group and not look for just one player who is a "superstar".  I would rather see 5 guys on the floor playing fundament basketball than 1 so called gun or hot hand.  By the way, I have said it before and I will say it again, I think we have some talent already, I am just not sure we are getting the most out of them.  Quit placing all your hope on AA or Bradley or Young and develop the others as well.

I agree with ORUTerry.  Our post players held their own against Michigan State the entire game but appeared completely outmatched vs. OU.  If you put pressure on Chris and Albert in the form of a double team, unfortunately they do not appear to have the ability to find the open player who should be cutting to the basket for a quick pass and an easy basket or hitting an open 3 on the perimeter.

You have to make the opponent pay for double teaming your big man or they will simply keep doing it and a turnover is likely to result.  Either our forwards need to improve their ball handling or they must improve their court vision and passing.  Caleb Green was so good at finding Larry Owens in that type of situation that eventually teams would decide not to double team him, give him his 20-25 points per game, and try to beat us by keeping the other players in check.

I understand that we don't have Caleb on the team right now, but the point is, this can be coached, emphasized, and executed successfully if you have big men with decent talent and a basketball IQ.  I am still trying to determine exactly what the level of our current talent is and I am hoping for much more consistency.

Just to continue the discussion regarding ORU's point guard play, I LOVE this Tweet from Doug Gottlieb:

It is so true, and here's why:  transitioning from offense to defense, a point guard needs to be getting back to stop the fast break, not leaving the back end vulnerable by ball-hawking long rebounds.  And transitioning from defense to offense, the point guard needs to be moving down the court to receive the outlet pass from his bigs, to push the break or set up the half court offense.

It's all about basketball IQ - that's why some SMART basketball players can change positions to point guard and be really good at it right off the bat (James Hardin, or Paul Pressey, or LeBron James), while some guys who have been point guards all their lives due to being small may NEVER excel there, because they don't use their heads.

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

Russell Westbrook? 

I knew this one was coming, because there's an exception to every rule.  

Couple of things:  we're talking about "small" guards (RW is 6'4", and plays taller).

Russ is such a physical freak that he can recover quickly in transition, though there are those who would argue he leaves the Thunder vulnerable to run outs when he crashes the offensive glass. 

Which kinda proves my point... :D

It was too obvious. I had to. But the point I was trying to make is that it's not necessarily the PG's job to get back. SOMEONE has to get back, but if your point guard can rebound (Russell Westbrook), designate someone else to get back.

I assume you'd agree and were mostly just making a point about a particular starting guard. In this instance I'd agree with you. If you're under 6', there are very few occasions for you to crash the boards.