Is it time for a coaching change?

wakeflip1

It's time we stop avoiding the topic? Let's discuss.

What's his contract?

What would be the pros/cons associated with a change?

Who would be a good alternative?

Some of the insiders will be too biased to discuss this objectively. 

I see only upside with a change.

Thoughts?

Not sure if it's time to start talking about this, but since I'm watching OU vs. Wisconsin, I'm seeing Chris Crutchfield on the OU bench and thinking.....huh, maybe a potential candidate....

Still too early for this. Last season was our first losing season since 2000-2001, and we're only 7 games into this season. As bad as it may look now, let's give it some more time before we call it a lost cause. I still think we could be a good team with Anderson and White back in the lineup. 

Even if this season continues on a downward spiral, I don't think 2 subpar seasons are enough to move on after 17 seasons of great basketball. 

It's probably a little early but still healthy to talk about. Crutch is always in the back of my mind. Think he would be great. 

The reasons for departure, beyond a couple of bad seasons, I think have to include the mediocre seasons we've had since our last tournament experience (sans 2012??).  I think more than anything fans want Scott to be more than just frustrated all the time. We want him to inspire us. To make us believe that greatness is around the corner. Sadly I just don't think that's in his personality type. 

Man, what a question!

Do you mean, should Scott Sutton resign? Not gonna happen for years, as long as he thinks he can turn things around.

Do you mean, should Mike Carter fire Scott Sutton?  Not gonna happen for years, for at least half a dozen reasons ranging from contractual to personal. 

Do you mean, should Billy Wilson fire Scott Sutton?  Not gonna happen for years, for at least half of Carter's reasons.

So, to those who might be longing for a coaching change at ORU any time soon, I would simply have to say, "Don't hold your breath".

And pray for the next recruiting class!

Coach Sutton is a good man and a solid coach who had done ORU proud for 20 years.....he had a rough time last season and  at the start of this one....we have a lot of young players and a lot of injuries....lost the 8th leading scorer in the nation to graduation and lost two good players who would be starting right now because they were impatient and moved on......TheEagleman thinks we should be patient and let this season play out.....:hcsutton::eagles:

8 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Man, what a question!

Do you mean, should Scott Sutton resign? Not gonna happen for years, as long as he thinks he can turn things around.

Do you mean, should Mike Carter fire Scott Sutton?  Not gonna happen for years, for at least half a dozen reasons ranging from contractual to personal. 

Do you mean, should Billy Wilson fire Scott Sutton?  Not gonna happen for years, for at least half of Carter's reasons.

So, to those who might be longing for a coaching change at ORU any time soon, I would simply have to say, "Don't hold your breath".

And pray for the next recruiting class!

That's fair and no doubt accurate but that shouldn't stop the diehards, especially those who post here, from wondering if it's time (not to say you were insinuating we shouldn't).

It's unrealistic, especially in a one-bid, ultra competitive conference like the Summit, to expect us to go to the tournament every year but we should be better than we have been. The 2011-12 season feels like a long, long time ago. If you spend 20 years anywhere, there's bound to be some complacency that sets in. You become an expert in your own limitations. 

While I think it's fair to speculate whether the competitive fire burns as brightly these days for this coaching staff (and, frankly, for the Golden Eagles chain of command as a whole, plus the fan base), I'm firmly convinced that Scott could win significantly more games with even just a marginal uptick in talent. 

For what every reason, the cupboard is simply too bare right now.

Just gotta figure out what it would take to sign, develop and retain "mo betta" basketball players.

• Upvote 2

While I think it's fair to speculate whether the competitive fire burns as brightly these days for this coaching staff (and, frankly, for the Golden Eagles chain of command as a whole, plus the fan base), I'm firmly convinced that Scott could win significantly more games with even just a marginal uptick in talent. For what every reason, the cupboard is simply too bare right now. Just gotta figure out what it would take to sign, develop and retain "mo betta" basketball players.

Simple question and a simple answer. Start recruiting taller talented players who will accept ORU standards and guidelines. I believe we are doing that in the last year or two. However, our inventory was bare. We have some very talented players that we have been able to find the past two years. The real issue is what OT said. "Does the competitive fire burn?" Remember, we have a new coaching staff, new young players, and the chemistry may not be there yet. That does not even consider the fact that we have one individual of quality talent that is not on the floor due to injury. With any organization, the leadership still starts at the top. We will all have to deal with this question, and time will tell. I can tell you that I thought we had enough talent to win 20 games. Well, so much for my analysis. Not too many years ago we won 27 games.

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Just gotta figure out what it would take to sign, develop and retain "mo betta" basketball players.

I think we are on the right track with the previous two classes. Gotta upgrade the level of talent.

Plus, Coach Perry and Stricker just got here. All it takes is landing one or two guys...

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Retain - Owens, Martin, Eman, White

Develop - McDaniel, Miller and Smith

Signees - Morgan, Malveaux, and Ahmedic

Decide if they can help you win games going forward - Manek, D. Harris, J. Harris

Spring signings -- depending on what you decide with the previous 3 -- a priority should be another JUCO PG -- preferably a PG with some height ---- is it blasphemous to say re-recruit Chris Crawford at Connors St  (13 pts, 7 assists per game; shooting 41% overall and 33% from 3)????????

Perhaps a more realistic question might be, "With Scott Sutton at the helm, what's it gonna take to rekindle the fire with ORU basketball?"

(in no particular order...)

Winning more games?

Better recruiting?

Changes in the assistant coaching staff?

More teaching and less exaspiration?

More zone?

More pressing?

Easier non-conference schedule to pad the record and build confidence?

More promotions?

More advertising?

More public appearances by staff and players?

Closing the LRC and the Student Union and requiring students to attend? ("Bring Back The '70's!")

A drastic renovation of the Mabee Center, or an altogether new (and smaller) building?

More donations to the Golden Eagle Club? (I literally chuckled writing that, but there's at least one troll lurking here who apparently feels that's the answer to all our problems).

Take your pick...

• Upvote 1