ORU at Michigan State

theeagleman5

Spartans will be at least a 25 point favorite tomorrow afternoon in the game televised live on the Big Ten Network.....I will have to DVR but it will surely be too painful to watch after TheEagleman gets home from and afternoon with Peter Pan and his friends.....Take MSU and lay the points..........Tom Izzo is ticked and has a point to prove...he actually apologized to his team this past week for the brutal early season schedule....so this one will be like sharks in bloody water.....I will consider this a win if somehow the Good Guys manage to cover the spread....but I don't see it....ORU falls, 111-63.......:n::worried::ph34r:

I don't think this will be the runaway train that Oakland was. 

Izzo may to want to work on some things and get some minutes for guys he needs to see in action.  He may treat this almost like a scrimmage, playing deliberately when he could fast break, just to run some offensive sets.  Calling timeouts even though he's up 20, just so he can do some teaching.

He knows he could probably beat this ORU team by 40 right now if he wanted to - I'm thinking he would rather get in some good practice time instead.

Izzo may to want to work on some things and get some minutes for guys he needs to see in action.  He may treat this almost like a scrimmage, playing deliberately when he could fast break, just to run some offensive sets.  Calling timeouts even though he's up 20, just so he can do some teaching.

He knows he could probably beat this ORU team by 40 right now if he wanted to - I'm thinking he would rather get in some good practice time instead

Oh what a joy it is to be an ORU basketball fan these days, when a post like this leaves you shaking your head because you know it's pretty much true.

As a mid-major (are we one of those, or are we or have we always been considered to be a low mid-major?) basketball program we've sacrificed ourselves up to the powers that be year in and year out, either out of the need for guarantees, or the old standby reason that playing this type of competition will 'toughen us up for conference play and the conference tournament,' or for whatever reasons have been given in the past.  Of course you make up your schedule in advance and can't predict what's going to happen to your roster with injuries, etc., but is it worth it?  I heard some talking head on a game broadcast a short time ago say that teams that have really tough non-conference schedules can go one of two ways- they can become tougher because of their schedule and that it can help further down the road in conference, or it can demoralize a team and from which said team might never recover.  Personally I don't like to see us getting our butts handed to us on a regular basis because we insist on playing a schedule like the one we have, but I've obviously come to accept it.  I guess the question is, will we ever see any of these games ever be competitive again, or are we doomed to losing games like this just because we're an ORU and the powers that be are who they are?  

Unfortunately we have to play with the hand we've been dealt with.  Hope the guys don't completely lose all confidence in themselves, and each other, if that hasn't happened already (and I very much hope it hasn't).

Same with the ORU women.  I look at the schedule and follow game after game and hope for the best, which really sucks, because I'd like to have the confidence to believe that we can compete in almost all of the games we have scheduled, and not just the games we have scheduled against power conference teams, and unfortunately I'm not there yet, by any means.  

Guess I could also include every other ORU sport in all of this too.  Not only do all of them, including basketball, struggle against their non-conference opponents, but other than baseball we're not winning any conference championships, regular season or by winning our conference tournaments.

I like to always think that better days are ahead for all of our sports, but recent seasons haven't borne that out.  

• Upvote 2

Baseball does not struggle against OOC teams.  Losing to Montana by 20+ is pathetic.  Montana has won one game against D-1 opponents, that being us.  I do have a real problem with where the staff is taking us.  It is not just this year.  And, we have 13 scholarships.  Why are we only playing basically 6 guys?  This staff has been here 18 years.  Who do you want us to play, Rogers State each week?

Summit vs Big 10 challenge today...

ORU opened at +22 and has been bet down to 21..........have these people not seen ORU play?   anything under 25 will be an upset

Much more encouraging first half against MSU than anything I've seen since the Ole Miss game. Not intimidated, playing smart, and taking good shots. 24-23 good guys under 4 minutes. 

Eman is a high major talent, i just hope ORU can hold on to him.  he's only going to get better.

much better rebounding today.

• Upvote 1

Not to rain on what was a decent first half, but the Spartans are playing without their best player, Myles Bridges.  Still encouraged by what I've seen, but it would be nice to get Big Al going, and make our layups when we have them!

MSU played a miserable first half. They missed plenty of open looks. If those start to fall, we're in trouble. Also wondering when stamina will become an issue. 

I second the thoughts on Eman. The kid is going to be special. 

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Sutton calls a timeout after a 8-0 run by MSU.   learning????

on another note, not sure i've ever seen a player foul out in 3 min of play........