ORU at Oakland

Old Titan

Seeing the "Orena" court brings back a lot of memories.

Moses Ehambe, Chris Rouse and Robert Jarvis each had monster games in that gym, and of course who can forget Greg Kampe's infamous inbound "flop play" that cost ORU a conference title there?

6 hours ago, Old Titan said:
Moses Ehambe, Chris Rouse and Robert Jarvis each had monster games in that gym, and of course who can forget Greg Kampe's infamous inbound "flop play" that cost ORU a conference title there?

OT, I believe that flop play* didn't prevent ORU from the conference title, but it did keep us from being the first team in Mid-Con/Summit history to make it through conference play with only one loss.

Mighty Valpo never accomplished that feat, but ironically some questionable calls down the stretch in our game at Valparaiso that season led to Caleb Green fouling out and ORU losing in overtime. And thus, combined with the flop play, prevented ORU from having the only undefeated season in conference history.

Another connection between these two teams: Oakland (2010, 2011) and ORU (2012) would later combine to have three straight one-loss conference seasons, after it not happening before or since.

*That play should have never been allowed. I think it was Yemi who had the putback for the potential game winner as time appeared to expire. Even so, with the 0.3 or 0.4 that was left, probably could have had the entire team just sit on the bench and watch Oakland try to complete a full court pass and shot to win the game instead of leaving poor Shawn King to run directly into a foul 90 feet from the basket.

1 hour ago, ManiacAlum said:

Another connection between these two teams: Oakland (2010, 2011) and ORU (2012) would later combine to have three straight one-loss conference seasons, after it not happening before or since.

IPFW probably has a shot this year. 

ORU is +15.5 tonight......ouch!....Oakland is good but they have padded their record against mostly stiff teams...call me crazy but TheEagleman thinks ORU will be competitive tonight.....I kind of like ORU plus those points especially if I tease it with the 154 over/under number.....I like the over.....let's call it Oakland 88  ORU 76....:eagles:

15 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

IPFW probably has a shot this year. 

They definitely do. And I was more impressed with their win over Indiana after seeing the Hoosiers beat UNC last night.

Pretty impressive officiating crew tonight....one night, Indiana vs. North Carolina,

the next night ORU vs. Oakland!

At least 2/3, I didn't catch the third officials name...Steratore and Wiemer for sure 

Wow! How athletic is this Oakland team! Or, how unathletic is ORU?

looks like Oakland will put up 50 in the 1srt half.....

50-31 Oakland at the half.........ORU w/11 turnovers

ORU is as bad as I have ever seen them. This team is currently 'transitioning back to D1 from NAIA' bad. Sad!

Coach Kampe's comments at half up 50-31

"we go 11 deep....ORU goes 6 deep, they're rebuilding....we just wore them out...

1 minute ago, ORUalum said:

50-31 Oakland at the half.........ORU w/11 turnovers

ORU is currently as bad as I have ever seen them. This team is currently 'transitioning back to D1 from NAIA' bad. Sad!

Doubt our guards would be that competitive in NAIA.

Bradley should not be playing at the D1 level.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

Coach Kampe's comments at half up 50-31

"we go 11 deep....ORU goes 6 deep, they're rebuilding....we just wore them out...

Kampe is being polite

• Upvote 1

Hoping that this is a gut check for Scott. I really hope he can find a way to get over this strange, stubborn loyalty to Bradley. He has to look at the teams on the court and realize how far he's let the program fall. 

I've seen better team defense and communication during pickup games at the AC:

-Darian Harris returns to the lineup on an Oakland inbounds dead ball, asking who his man is...turns out it was the wide-open guy under the basket.

-Three ORU defenders converge on a driving Stevie Clark leading to a layup.

-First Oakland play after halftime is an alleyoop.

Predictions for Sutton's post game excuses:

1. This team just isn't buying in (Need to commit to defense).
  2. We have guys who are playing selfish. 
  3. We have to get healthy. 
  4. Losing Haxton was a bigger loss than I thought it was.