ORU vs. Tulsa

Old Titan

All in all I'm glad that game is over. It has really lost its luster. Add to that, losing to that Tulsa team is borderline embarrassing. Here's to hoping for some good news about Anderson. 

I am one of the new converts to the "Size Matters" gospel. I was one of the complainers here about 6-7 years ago who wanted more offensive production from our backcourt. Now, I take back anything I ever said about someone like Rod Pearson (for example). 

Our shooters, including Bradley, are getting (or being given) wide-open looks, but I was exhausted from watching them just try to get separation. And its not even like they were even getting pressure from TU's backcourt. Their guys were just there in the way, being...you know, regular sized guards.  

More disconcerting was giving up 79 points and 59(!) rebounds to a TU team that at times in the 2nd half almost looked like they were actively trying not to score or get to loose balls.

Speaking of 6-7 years ago, I remember TU bringing in a team with a sparkling 15-3 record and two future NBA players to the Mabee Center in 2010. ORU's squad of seven mostly freshmen, sophomores and walk-on's had that game in hand before finally running out of gas in the last few minutes. That team would have won last night going away. Something has changed.

• Upvote 1

Not sure what it is, but something has changed.  This is not just about losing to TU on Monday, it is about how this year is unfolding in general along with last year and probably before that.  Our program is tanking and I am not sure that is going to change anytime soon.  I do think we have talent, especially our "bigs", but as a whole I do not see improvement.  Last year if you removed Obi, we were a disaster.  This year, I don't have a warm/fuzzy feeling we can get any better.  Again, I think we have some talented kids, I just don't see that talent being developed.  I love our U and want to see it excel in everything it/we undertake.  Go Golden Eagles!

8 hours ago, ManiacAlum said:

I am one of the new converts to the "Size Matters" gospel. I was one of the complainers here about 6-7 years ago who wanted more offensive production from our backcourt. Now, I take back anything I ever said about someone like Rod Pearson (for example). 

Our shooters, including Bradley, are getting (or being given) wide-open looks, but I was exhausted from watching them just try to get separation. And its not even like they were even getting pressure from TU's backcourt. Their guys were just there in the way, being...you know, regular sized guards.  

More disconcerting was giving up 79 points and 59(!) rebounds to a TU team that at times in the 2nd half almost looked like they were actively trying not to score or get to loose balls.

Speaking of 6-7 years ago, I remember TU bringing in a team with a sparkling 15-3 record and two future NBA players to the Mabee Center in 2010. ORU's squad of seven mostly freshmen, sophomores and walk-on's had that game in hand before finally running out of gas in the last few minutes. That team would have won last night going away. Something has changed.

Loved me some Roderick Pearson - incredibly underrated.  Along with Adam Liberty, Earl McClellan, Arnold Dugger.  My kind of players - tough on both ends of the floor, high basketball IQ, didn't try to do too much, didn't just look to score every time they had the ball, simply managed the game.  Still hoping Anderson can become that kind of player in his final year.

Give me a taller, physical point guard every day of the week - and twice on Sunday!  :muscle:  :y:

TheEagleman was at ORU for Arnold Duggers' two seasons on the team..he came in with Coach Hale from Southern Idaho Jr. College......Arnold was a seriously good PG at 6-3 about 200 pounds....smart guy and a really nice kid ...he knew how to control the game and the tempo......he also had really nice touch from 15-18 feet with his jumper....hit a buzzer beater at MSG in the 1975 NIT opening round to upset Memphis 97-95.....one of my all time favorite moments in ORU basketball history......:eagles:

There's a chance that a nucleus made up of ... 

• Albert Owens (5)
  • Emmanuel Nzekwesi (4)
  • Jamichael Morgan (3) 
  • Kris Martin (2)

... could help make up a compelling team next year. 

Morgan is a 3 star Rivals recruit that probably made his decision, in part, because Eman is on the team. Sutton has a moment in time to capitalize on Nzekwesi being on this team and needs to build around him... fast. I don't want to dwell on it but it would be great to have DaQuan on this team. And to that point Sutton better work hard to make sure the vultures don't continue to tamper with the talent at ORU. 

The big question is, who plays PG? KJ Malveau will come in with some experience but it's hard to count on a newcomer for that position. 

I feel pretty good about our bigs at the moment (assuming maturation continues). Chris Miller (6-8), Kellen Manek (6-7) and of course Javan White (6-10) should give us some stability. Who knows what we have with Emir Ahemedic (6-8) but his numbers look good right now. He's averaging 19 pts and grabbing 11 boards per game. I also like what I've seen from Jontray early on and I hope we get to see him have chance to prove himself ... especially if we continue to have zealous shooting.  

Not a lot of hope for this season but looking to the future, maybe we have something? 

How about this lineup for this year.  

Center - Albert Owens, Forward - Emmanuel Nzekwesi, Forward - rotate both Javan White and Chris Miller, Point Guard - Aaron Anderson, Shooting Guard - Kris Martin.  Rotate Darian Harris and Jontray Harris at either Guard position, then Bradley or Young.  You would have a 6'9" Junior Center (Owens), 6'8" Freshmen Forward (Nzekwesi), either a 6'8" Freshman (Miller) or 6'10" Sophomore Forward (White), a 6'3" R-Sr. Point Guard (Anderson) and a 6'6" Sophomore Shooting Guard (Martin) with either a 6'6" R-Jr. (D. Harris) or a 6'4" R-So. (J. Harris) coming off the bench as Guards.  As for AY and Bradley they would merely be role players.  Will we lose with this lineup, probably.  But if we are improving game-by-game, I can live with that. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

How about this lineup for this year.  

Center - Albert Owens, Forward - Emmanuel Nzekwesi, Forward - rotate both Javan White and Chris Miller, Point Guard - Aaron Anderson, Shooting Guard - Kris Martin.  Rotate Darian Harris and Jontray Harris at either Guard position, then Bradley or Young.  You would have a 6'9" Junior Center (Owens), 6'8" Freshmen Forward (Nzekwesi), either a 6'8" Freshman (Miller) or 6'10" Sophomore Forward (White), a 6'3" R-Sr. Point Guard (Anderson) and a 6'6" Sophomore Shooting Guard (Martin) with either a 6'6" R-Jr. (D. Harris) or a 6'4" R-So. (J. Harris) coming off the bench as Guards.  As for AY and Bradley they would merely be role players.  Will we lose with this lineup, probably.  But if we are improving game-by-game, I can live with that. 

Agreed. I think the team needs to invest in the longterm and this type of lineup would be exactly that. It's clear to me that this offense should be going through Nzekwesi, Owens and Martin (in that order). I would look at AY and Bradley as great mentors and role players. Both seem to have high character. 

I was looking back at the box score of Chris Riouse's 10-for-17-from-3 game at Oakland back in 2006, and here was your starting line-up that night in a FORTY POINT WIN:

C - Mickey Michalec (6'11")

F - Caleb Green (6'8")

F - Larry Owens (6'7")

G - Yemi Oguneye (6'9")

G - Jonathan Bluitt (5'9")

(Ken Tutt was hurt that game, and checked in at about 6'1") 

And off the bench you had:  Moses Ehambe (6'5"), Marchello Vealy (6'7"), Matt Gastel (6'11"), Andrew Meloy (6'5"), Eric Fowlkes (6'4"), Chris Riouse (6'2"), and Schuyler Thomas (6'9")

Jimminy Christmas - WHERE HAS ALL THE HEIGHT GONE??

http://www.goldengrizzlies.com/sports/m-baskbl/Box-Scores/2005-06/ou0624.htm

good write up on the game (although not sure what "Coaching Optimism" means and why it got a "B" grade......it's time for coaching reality)

credit to Ben Johnson for acknowledging the Oracle reporter was the only journalist in the room to put Sutton on the spot with a tough question in what has been a disastrous start of the season.