Redshirting guidelines; speculation.

74Titan

Coach Sutton stated that Spencer Sutton, R.J. Smith, and Kellen Manek will be redshirted for this season. To my knowledge, a decision on Javan White has not been made. To date, Javan has missed 5 games. Here's my question: If Javan is redshirted he, of course, gets another year. I get that. By NCAA guidelines, how many games could Javan play this year and still be granted another full season (a la Rod Pearson)? Finally, how long will Coach Sutton go before making a decision on Javan for this season? Personally, the team needs Javan's skill set and basketball mindset this season, however long that is for the young man. In the long run, though, Javan's health is of more importance. 

Anyone who knows the answer on the NCAA guidelines, please respond. Thank you for your time.

Found this on a compliance website, from 2015:

NCAA Division I – An athlete must not have participated in more than three contests or 30 percent of their season schedule (whichever is greater) and not after the halfway point of the season (based on the number of contests rather than a particular date).

In other words, Javan can't come back toward the end of the season and still get a medical hardship for this year, even if from that point he plays in under 30% of the games scheduled. 

He needs to get well soon and start playing by around the first of the year, or else they just need to sit him for the entire season and save him a year of eligibilty.

Even if he is healthy, with our propensity for playing small, would we see a line-up with 2 guards, Emmanuel at the small forward, along with Javan at the PF, and Albert or Chris at center?

• Upvote 1

Thank you, Old Titan, for the informative response. There was something about 30% that I remembered from a few years ago with Jorden Kaufman. As much as Javan's skills (both physical and mental) are needed he's already missed or will miss several games at the minimum, including the TU game. Without knowing what's it's like to redshirt it might help Javan in the long run to be at full strength for his sake, as well as the team's.

oruvoice:

With a healthy Javan at PF, Albert at the 5, and Emmanuel at the SF, Coach Sutton might be inclined to go with two guards, a situation he hasn't had the luxury of for years.

Yes, and it is obviously not working.  I would go with Miller, Big E and AJ.  We have nothing to lose after the embarrassments that were Loyola and Montana.  Lowest point this program has been in years if not decades.  We are headed in the wrong direction.  I put that on the coaches.

2 hours ago, ORU82 said:

I would go with Miller, Big E and AJ.

With Miller averaging a foul every 3.9 minutes, this lineup will get us through the first half...maybe. 

Good point, but our 3 guard lineup got us run out of the gym against a middle of the road Loyola and a terrible Montana.  Both of these loses were low points for our program, but the Montana loss has to be one of the lowest points in the past couple decades.  Something has to change and that is on the staff.

• Upvote 2

In a rare moment of rational thinking....TheEagleman would just say....let's not panic.....yeah, those last two games in the Paradise Jam were  a disgrace....our young guys just never seemed to recover mentally from blowing the Ole Miss game in the final minute....we should have won that one.....we have played well in pre-season vs. Wichita State...held our own vs. 20th ranked Baylor and should have beaten Mississippi....so we have talent....but we need to get some heart and TheEagleman is hopeful we will see it vs. TU on Monday night in the Mayors Cup Game....If ORU comes up small vs. our hated rivals then you guys can rake the coaching staff over the coals....but let's give them this week to recover and regroup....EXPECT A MIRACLE!....GO BLUE!!!....:eagles:

• Upvote 1

Well, we aren't alone. Saw that SDSU fell to 1-5 tonight and their only win is against a non D1 opponent.