ORU at Iowa

theeagleman5

ORU ladies open at the Iowa Hawkeyes tonight.....do we have a shot?....:eagles:

I don't know much about Iowa, other than they went 19-14 last year and had an early season 15 point win over Western Illinois. Glancing at last year's schedule, they don't appear to be world beaters. So, yeah we've got a shot.

We've got size and we've got guards that can put the ball in the hole. I think we play them close.

96Quote

Iowa 96  ORU 76....ouch!!...:(

Obviously not a good result, especially in giving up 96 points to an Iowa team that isn't considered to be anywhere close to being on par with some of our recent non-conference road opponents from the past couple of seasons, i.e. Baylor and Tennessee from 2 seasons ago, or even OSU, or even Michigan from last season.  I followed the game action through live stats at different points and we were never in it, even at the end when we somehow managed to cut their lead to 12 with 4 minutes left in the game.  Then we went completely cold, scoring I think just 2 points the rest of the way, and none in the last 3:10.  

We gave up way too many layups and sent them to the line 38 times, where thankfully they only made 25 or we would've given up over 100 points.  For a team that prided itself on defense last season, this was bad, and it might sound good to some that we scored 76 points on the road, but when you look at the stats we weren't very efficient with our shooting.  If you take away our free throws made, we scored 59 points on 73 shots, which isn't a good efficiency percentage, and we didn't shoot well from the field (35.6%) or from three (28%).  And for a team that was supposed to get out and run, we only scored 4 fast break points.  We did win the turnover battle, by one (13-12), but we didn't really turn them over... only 6 steals.  We also allowed them to shoot 50% from the field, and we were killed on the boards 55-36.  

At least we were able to get some of our young-ins some minutes, Hillary Hurst played 16 and scored 6 points, with 3 rebounds, an assist and a block, and Rachel Skalnik played 15 and scored a couple, had 3 rebounds and an assist.  Montse Brotons also saw some time, 14 minutes, but didn't have much of a stat line except for fouls.  

I continue to be impressed by Faith Ihim, she really got the job done when she came into the game tonight, especially in the second half.  By far our best shooter tonight, 8-12 overall, scored 17 points, also had 4 rebounds, which is low for her for the 26 minutes she played, and an assist, steal and a block.  Athletic, smart, quick to the basket, quick hands, good instincts. 

Concerned that we got killed in the paint 48-18, yikes, I sure hope this is an anomaly or we're going to struggle all season.  Actually I hope that almost everything about this game is an anomaly, and that we won't struggle all season shooting the ball and playing defense.

It's all about defense, I believe we have some pretty decent offensive threats, so we have to get the D cleaned up real quick.  Unfortunately we don't have much time, we play at Northwestern this Sunday in a 1:00 game, so we'll have to suck it up and go out there and see what happens and I guess work on our D during practice next week.

We missed having Jordan Doyle on the court for us tonight, she's been our steadying force her first 2 seasons with her consistent and steady play at the point.  She's not been a high assist PG, and she's not flashy, and not a big scorer, but she's really done a nice job since early in her freshman season of not turning the ball over a lot, and in stepping up and making shots when she has an opening.  Not sure what's going on with her, an injury or whatever it is, but I hope we get her back very soon.  I saw her in a tweet put out by WBB when they were at the airport Thursday waiting to fly out to Iowa, so I know she's on the trip, hopefully like I said she'll be back very soon.

We have some other players out- Dorka Balla, who I believe is still recovering from offseason surgery; and Alexa Scott and Maria Marti, both freshmen.  I'm not sure what's going on with them exactly, although I did see Alexa in a walking boot or some kind of similar contraption in the same tweet when they were at the airport.  All three can help us when they are able to finally get out on the court and play.

Not pushing the panic button after 1 game by any means, but obviously I would've liked to have seen us shoot the ball better and play way better D.  Don't know what to expect going forward, hopefully we can start to gel and play the way that one of my buddies here on the board thinks we can play.  Go Eagles.  

• Upvote 1

Thanks for a great synopsis, BlueGold...just a superb report....perhaps you should be writing for ORUAthletics.com where the headline says...Hawkeyes EDGE Golden  Eagles 96-76.....:huh:

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Thanks for a great synopsis, BlueGold...just a superb report....perhaps you should be writing for ORUAthletics.com where the headline says...Hawkeyes EDGE Golden  Eagles 96-76.....:huh:

i saw that too......definitely not the "No Spin Zone" in WBB SID office.

Hawkeyes EDGE Golden Eagles, yup, that's what it said... all I can say is that I used to work in Sports Information (guess it's called Media Relations now) and it was true even then that we were to do our best to put a positive spin on what we put out- press releases, game notes, etc., and when talking to the media we were never supposed to be negative even if it was the truth.  Spin, spin away as they say.  

I guess what bothers me the most is when people don't use good grammar, misspell words, write choppy and even somewhat incoherent sentences, and don't promote our student-athletes as they should.  See this past week's release regarding signing day for women's basketball for examples of all of what I've mentioned.  Why would parts of the player capsules be written in past tense, the players are still at the schools and still playing basketball and other sports at the schools mentioned, and will probably each score at least one point during the upcoming season.  Makes it seem like they've already finished their high school careers.  Or take a look at Hillary Hurst's bio in this season's WBB media guide, which in my opinion is woefully underwritten (the bio, I mean).  No mention of her leading her high school team to the state championship as a senior.  No mention of her being named MVP of the state tournament for 5A girls, or for scoring 38 points in the semifinal game, or 31 points in the final, or for finishing with the fourth-most points ever scored in Oklahoma state tournament history (93 in 3 games).  No mention of her scoring over 2,000 points in her high school career.  It's almost as if the bio was written before she played or finished her senior season and then was never updated before being added to the media guide.  No excuse no matter what happened in my opinion.  And Ashley Beatty's bio has her sisters' names as Ryan, Ashley and Nichole instead of Ryan, Lakota and Nichole.  Call me anal or whatever, I nitpick when I believe it's important, when I believe that what you produce and release to "the world" is a representation of who you work for, your school, and should be professional, and shouldn't have errors or be hard to read.  And I know that our student-athletes read the game notes and releases and media guides, and I would expect that it sort of might bother them a little if information is wrong or incomplete.  

Just my two or three or four cents.  Now let's win some freakin' games!