ORU at Baylor

theeagleman5

12 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Say what you will, but I miss Valpo and the rivalry. It was a game we all looked forward to. A team we could all "hate".

Other than Tulsa, what other heated rivalry do we have? What opponent do you look at on the schedule and get fired up for?

I was referring to the Drew family - I was never as big of a Homer fan as the national media.

I distinctly remember one game where he strode out to about the half court circle - during play - to protest a non-call against one of his players. 

When he got a technical, he seemed shocked.  The look on his face was something like, "What?  But, but - I'm such a nice guy!"

18 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I was referring to the Drew family - I was never as big of a Homer fan as the national media.

I distinctly remember one game where he strode out to about the half court circle - during play - to protest a non-call against one of his players. 

When he got a technical, he seemed shocked.  The look on his face was something like, "What?  But, but - I'm such a nice guy!"

I don't have an issue with a guy going to bat for his team.

In 30 years of doing HS, Juco, and ORU public address announcing, he was one of my favorites. One of the very few that would come to the scorer's table and not only converse, but actually seem to be genuinely interested in the brief conversation. He and Greg Kampe always came off as sincere and gracious. Heck, we've had ORU coaches that wouldn't even glance at us or even greet you with a friendly "Hello", as they walked by. There have been some that never have spoken a word to me in their entire time at ORU.

Barry Hinson, Voice???....:rolleyes:

So Barry was nasty behind your back?...lol.....The ORU line has now dropped to +17.....must have been that large wager placed on the Good Guys by Voice..... TheEagleman is tempted to make a small wager on Baylor...maybe that will send some luck ORU's way.....other lines tonight show TU a 12 pt favorite at home vs. Jacksonville St. and IPFW is a 15 pt dog at Arkansas.....WIU is an 18.5 pt dog at Kansas State and SDSU is an 11.5 point dog at California....IUPUI is a 1.5 pt dog at Eastern Kentucky....so call your bookies......:-P

I know, I know - everybody who knows Homer says nothing but nice things about him.

Perhaps my opinion is also clouded by the constant rumors about Homer and Scott bending the rules quite a bit when it came to recruiting and signing foreign players.

I know there were a couple of ORU assistant coaches at the time who used to smile and shake their heads when that was discussed - a case of sour grapes?

It's only cheating, if you get caught.

And, my larger point stands. I miss the Valpo rivalry. It was always a big game. Good crowds, loads of excitement. And, they actually had fans that we could get into it with on the interwebs. Not much fun in IPFW, WIU, Denver, etc...when they don't even have one fan to get into it with on a message board.

Back to Baylor...If I could get ORU +17 points, I'd jump on it. Single digit margin. I could even see us pulling one out. Our Texas boys will come to play and their main big man is out.

Geez, Voice...now you have me thinking....take ORU +17, huh???....:eagles:

4 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Geez, Voice...now you have me thinking....take ORU +17, huh???....:eagles:

We beat Wichita State in the closed exhibition game...

9 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

We beat Wichita State in the closed exhibition game...

.....and looked very pedestrian versus Southeast Oklahoma State

1 minute ago, ORUalum said:

.....and looked very pedestrian versus Southeast Oklahoma State

The same SEOSU team that gave UTEP all they wanted.

I'm telling you guys, SEOSU is a good/well coached squad. They'd be middle of the pack Summit League. And, we were cruising against them, until we emptied the bench.

Plus, several of our top players are from Texas and will be fired up for this one. Baylor...not so much.

Eagles, much closer than the experts think. Take it to the bank.

why would Sutton put his 3 smallest guards on the court at the same time against a long, athletic Baylor team?  of course Baylor immediately goes on a run.

No doubt this team is talented. They appear to be calmer than past teams. Perhaps a product of the new members of the coaching staff. Other observations: Chris Miller is going to be a beast. Albert Owens should have gotten stronger. 

:oru-logo:

they did not get blown out in the first half......definite progress.  they are missing KMart knocking down shots.  Albert has to shoot for a better percentage if they hope to hang around in the second half.

EMan and Big Chris are going to be players.  Sutton upgraded his talent.....he has to find a dynamic point guard.