ORU at Baylor

theeagleman5

Which has a better chance of happening?......ORU beating Baylor on Friday night or Trump beating Hillary in today's election?.....:unsure:

Jonathan Motley (6'10" player) will not play as he is serving a one game suspension. Evidently Baylor is not playing any exhibition game - so we represent their first game this season. The Bears are talented and are picked to finish third in the Big 12 - which is a very strong basketball league. 

This is a major test for a young ORU squad. 

went to the Baylor game a few years ago.......Albert was sitting behind the ORU bench that evening as a recruit.

ORU had no answer for Drew's 1-3-1 zone.

let's hope Sutton and crew have worked on it.

it would be nice not to get blown off the court.

18 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Jonathan Motley (6'10" player) will not play as he is serving a one game suspension...

I wonder what this guy did to actually get suspended at Baylor.

• Upvote 1

Baylor lost several good players from last years' NCAA squad that got upset by Yale in the first round....they may still be good but not THAT good.....However, TheEagleman would still expect that the Bears will be at least a 14-15 point favorite and I would probably be inclined to lay those points......8)

2 hours ago, ORUalum said:

went to the Baylor game a few years ago.......Albert was sitting behind the ORU bench that evening as a recruit.

ORU had no answer for Drew's 1-3-1 zone.

let's hope Sutton and crew have worked on it.

it would be nice not to get blown off the court.

With all due respect, I'm trying to recall EVER seeing an ORU team with a good answer to a 1-3-1 zone in the Sutton era.

When you don't run something yourself in games or practice, it's hard to respond to.  No familiarity...

Baylor toyed with ORU for a media timeout or two then went to the 1-3-1. 

the game was over......it was like they had never seen the defense before.   there was absolute panic in their eyes.

like i said, let's hope this Sutton team is better prepared.

On 11/8/2016 at 9:24 AM, theeagleman5 said:

Which has a better chance of happening?......ORU beating Baylor on Friday night or Trump beating Hillary in today's election?.....:unsure:

Umm - I think we know the answer to that one!

I love that slogan for 2016-17 ORU basketball ....and yes, 82....a real shocker on Tuesday night in the Presidential election....so will there be another shocker in Waco on Friday night?....TheEagleman isn't so bullish on that one....I still don't have a feel for this team and have not seen us play....I like what I hear about our big guys but am concerned about the backcourt and our shaky defense....If we don't tighten up inside, Baylor will smoke us early and often.....TheEagleman is hopeful that ORU can hang around in the first half and keep it interesting in the 2nd half for a while....but I just can't see us keeping up with a talented team like Baylor for 40 minutes even with one of their top players on suspension...I will check tomorrow to see the Vegas Line but expecting it to be around 15-16....looking for big efforts from Albert and Chris Miller maybe close to 20 points each.....anybody know if AY is gonna be available?....let's call it Baylor 84  ORU 68.....:eagles:

KenPom.com gives us a 5% chance of winning with a projected score of 80-62.

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

KenPom.com gives us a 5% chance of winning with a projected score of 80-62.

I think I would have to take Baylor and the "over" on that line...

The early line has ORU + 18.5.....that's tough......TheEagleman is tempted to take ORU but I honestly have no feel for this team yet.....I will likely sit this one out.....B)

Hello- I'm one of the chief basketball writers on sicem365.com (a Baylor site).  Would be glad to answer any Baylor questions if you have any.  Motley is suspended a game for playing in the Drew League during the summer (Pro/Am league).  You are allowed to do this as a college player but only if you live within a certain radius of the league and Motley was outside the mile limit. 

I watch AAU basketball in the DFW area and got to see Emmanuel Nzekwesi play.  He was dominant the game I watched him.  I was pretty surprised that he didn't have a lot of high major offers.  I think ORU got a steal in him.  Your size could be an issue for Baylor with Motley out. 

Would you all say your top 3 players are Owens, Bradley and Martin?  Look forward to the game tomorrow night. 

Hard to say what our top 3 is right now, with so many new faces. But, from what I saw at our first exhibition game and the returners from last year, my top 3 would be Nzekwesi, Owens, & Martin (if healthy).

Thanks for stopping by. We have many fond memories of the Drew family (Homer, Scott, & Bryce) at ORU, from Valpo's time in our league. They brought some really good teams into the Mabee Center, including the Sweet 16 team with Bryce, but NEVER escaped Tulsa with a victory over ORU. A streak we constantly reminded Valpo fans of. Good times!!

19 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Hard to say what our top 3 is right now, with so many new faces. But, from what I saw at our first exhibition game and the returners from last year, my top 3 would be Nzekwesi, Owens, & Martin (if healthy).

Thanks for stopping by. We have many fond memories of the Drew family (Homer, Scott, & Bryce) at ORU, from Valpo's time in our league. They brought some really good teams into the Mabee Center, including the Sweet 16 team with Bryce, but NEVER escaped Tulsa with a victory over ORU. A streak we constantly reminded Valpo fans of. Good times!!

"fond"?

You have a much more diplomatic memory than I...

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

Not suprised on Nzekwesi.  He has big time potential.  Reminded me of Jonathan Holmes (Texas forward who was all big12) when I saw him in high school.  Martin playing tonight?  Baylor should be at full strength except for Motley.  The strength of this Baylor team is guard play (I think).  They have a PG transfer from Miami that they are really high on (Lecomte) and a very athletic (but raw) redshirt freshman (Mitchell) that many think is a future NBA player.  And 3 others that played a lot last year (Freeman, Lindsey, McClure) that they like.  

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

"fond"?

You have a much more diplomatic memory than I...

Say what you will, but I miss Valpo and the rivalry. It was a game we all looked forward to. A team we could all "hate".

Other than Tulsa, what other heated rivalry do we have? What opponent do you look at on the schedule and get fired up for?