ORU at Baylor

theeagleman5

11 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Oh yeah....I had that one in the loss column until Harris drilled the 3 with about 25 seconds left....then thankfully Baylor just dribbled out the clock to secure the win.....oh, did anyone notice that TU lost at home to Jacksonville State by 11???....LOL....the Golden Hurricane faithful must really be whining about that.....could be a long year for Tulsa.....Mayors Cup game 2 weeks from tonight and TheEagleman is feeling good about four in a row.....:eagles:

A TU fan (and one who literally despises ORU and everything it stands for) was complaining on their message board about there being an ORU ticket flyer in the TU season ticket packet, encouraging Golden Hurlicane fans to buy tickets to the Mayor's Cup in the Mabee Center.

Pretty bold move - wonder if ORU paid for that insert, or if it's a trade-out agreement for each year between the two schools, depending on where the game is played?  At any rate, I've never heard of such a promotion, particularly between two inter-city rivals.

6 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

A TU fan (and one who literally despises ORU and everything it stands for) was complaining on their message board about there being an ORU ticket flyer in the TU season ticket packet, encouraging Golden Hurlicane fans to buy tickets to the Mayor's Cup in the Mabee Center.

Pretty bold move - wonder if ORU paid for that insert, or if it's a trade-out agreement for each year between the two schools, depending on where the game is played?  At any rate, I've never heard of such a promotion, particularly between two inter-city rivals.

Makes sense. Neither school can fill their building. Might as well.

That said, with their performance this weekend and a likely drubbing coming up against WSU, there may not be many TU fans at the Mabee Center in two weeks. I had a suspicion that they were going to have a down year, I may have underestimated how bad it was going to be. If they don't get it together in the next two weeks, it could be a historically bad year at 11th & Harvard.

2 hours ago, oruvoice said:

Makes sense. Neither school can fill their building. Might as well.

That said, with their performance this weekend and a likely drubbing coming up against WSU, there may not be many TU fans at the Mabee Center in two weeks. I had a suspicion that they were going to have a down year, I may have underestimated how bad it was going to be. If they don't get it together in the next two weeks, it could be a historically bad year at 11th & Harvard.

I didn't even know they played this weekend - had to look up their schedule this morning.

Since we're in a conference now and that game means so very little in the grand scheme of things, they are not even on my radar...except when Joe Castiglione and Judy McLeod gifted them probably the most undeserving NCAA at-large bid EVER last season.

OT...I understand what you're saying about the TU game not being AS important.

However, if we can lay a BEATDOWN on them for the 4-peat, I will enjoy that very much!

After doing a little digging...Jacksonville State (who beat TU by 11 on Friday), was 8-23 last year and got drubbed (26 points) on Sunday by Missouri State. WOW!

7 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

After doing a little digging...Jacksonville State (who beat TU by 11 on Friday), was 8-23 last year and got drubbed (26 points) on Sunday by Missouri State. WOW!

Is that bad? :smiling-face-open-mouth-tight-closed-eyes:

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

OT...I understand what you're saying about the TU game not being AS important.

However, if we can lay a BEATDOWN on them for the 4-peat, I will enjoy that very much!

Not sure ORU can lay a beatdown on anyone right now, even a team as currently dysfunctional as TU appears to be.

The Mayor's Cup may again prove to be the high point - for EITHER team - in an otherwise lackluster season.

3 hours ago, oruvoice said:

Let's play a few more games before we start saying this is going to be a lackluster season...

Let's see some improved defense in the paint, and better judgement with the ball from the perimeter, before I say otherwise.

18 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Let's see some improved defense in the paint, and better judgement with the ball from the perimeter, before I say otherwise.

LOTS of new faces. Need time to gel. The pieces are there. Sample size is too small to make a judgment, yet.

Let's talk in two weeks, after the Paradise Jam tourney and the TU game.

I still say we go 7-7 or better in the non-conference, win 20 games, and compete for the league title.

I'm not big on comparative scores, but I think it bears (no pun intended) mentioning that Baylor absolutely destroyed No. 4 Oregon 66-49 this afternoon in Waco, as part of ESPN's Tip-Off Marathon. :-o

Baylor did have Motley back for this game. Still, Oregon is being picked by some as a Final Four team

Baylor is legit. Maybe the best or second best team we'll face all year.

I'm telling you, we have the pieces to be pretty darn good. If Kris and Javan get healthy, we could be scary good...

Baylor is clearly a Top 20 team based on their wins over ORU and Oregon....in fact, they dismantled the Ducks in the 2nd half.....sure glad that PF Motley was suspended for our game...ORU might have lost by 30......:geek: