ORU vs. Southeastern Oklahoma

ORUTerry

Sounds nice to have some bigger bodies in the middle....TheEagleman has grown tired of watching all these 6-5 and under guys we have been playing inside over the past few years which makes it hard to compete in the Summit....we were more built for the Southland.....but times have changed.....Coach Sutton seems confident that ORU can be in the top half of the league this season.....:eagles:

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

VERY pleasantly surprised by Jontray and Dezmond. Chris Miller is a beast. Emmanuel looks like a senior. And, they are all freshmen, outside of Jontray who is a sophomore.

Emmanuel will be Freshman of the Year in the league and first or second team all-conference.

Miller looked very impressive. Good hands and wasn't pushed around in the post.

Nzekwesi looked like he WILL be able to play the 3. Could move and finish in the open court not just under the hoop.

Bigs will definitely be our strength this year.  That is very encouraging.  I loved the balance of scoring and full team contribution.  Looks like this squad has some promise.  

I think this team looks a lot more mature than recent teams. They didn't look as lost out there. And they didn't stop playing in the 2nd half--they kept fighting. I agree--Chris Miller looks good. My only complaint is how dark it seemed in Mabee. I guess a lot of lights were turned off on purpose. I also want a bigger crowd!

Do we have any shot to be competitive with Baylor?..the Bears are usually pretty good..I am guessing ORU could take a pounding next Friday night...:huh:

13 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Do we have any shot to be competitive with Baylor?..the Bears are usually pretty good..I am guessing ORU could take a pounding next Friday night...:huh:

Baylor will be w/out all Big 12 preseason forward Motley.....1 game suspension.

I'm sick of getting blown out by these power 5 schools......keep it w/in 15 and i'll be happy.

Good break for ORU.....TheEagleman would gladly take a loss something like 77-64....lol.....:eagles:

Was I watching the same game?

Sorry, but I came away kinda discouraged.

Defense in the paint was HORRENDOUS.  Their #50 looked like an All-American inside, and I don't think he is.

Time and time again, ORU gave up dribble-drives all the way to the rim or the length of the baseline - WILL NO ONE DRAW A CHARGE ON A BALL-HANDLER CRUISING THROUGH THE PAINT?

Defense like that will add up to about 15 losses - minimum.

Did see a couple of things I liked, though...

Miller:  great hands and nimble feet, with a natural feel for the game.  He looked experienced and confident beyond his years.  He should be good for several points and rebounds every time he takes the floor, no matter the opponent.

Emmanual:  exact opposite of Chris - great athlete, but a lot of standing around and confusion on defense. He's a project, will be learning the college game all season.  He's going to be one of those guys who simply disappears some games.

McDaniel:  very quick, nice little shot - but can he defend D-1 guards?

Smith:  liked his movement, good length, very smooth.  Reminded me a little of Daquan.  Could be a great combo guy.  Does he have to be red-shirted?

Started to rail on some of the guys I was disappointed in, but let's give them a free pass for now.  "We'll see...", said the Zen master.

23 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Smith:  liked his movement, good length, very smooth.  Reminded me a little of Daquan.  Could be a great combo guy.  Does he have to be red-shirted?

• Anderson
  • AY
  • Jalen
  • Darian
  • Kmart
  • Jontray
  • Dez (can't be red shirted - only returning PG next season)
  • RJ

even if Sutton goes w/a three guard line up most of the time, how do you get RJ enough minutes to keep him happy?  better to red-shirt than have him stewing at the end of the bench all season.

48 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Was I watching the same game?

Sorry, but I came away kinda discouraged.

Defense in the paint was HORRENDOUS.  Their #50 looked like an All-American inside, and I don't think he is.

Time and time again, ORU gave up dribble-drives all the way to the rim or the length of the baseline - WILL NO ONE DRAW A CHARGE ON A BALL-HANDLER CRUISING THROUGH THE PAINT?

Defense like that will add up to about 15 losses - minimum.

Defense has been awful for the past 4-5 years. I didn't really see anything that was any worse than previous seasons but there were offensive improvements.

Liked seeing both Owens and Miller together on the court. Miller has soft hands and good moves. Owens also showed good moves down low. They both need to work on their defense - along with everyone else.

Emmanuel is athletic and full of potential - but rough. He can play inside or out (has a nice, smooth jump shot) and will be handy. He needs to stay on the court though and not commit silly fouls. Saw that Brandon Conley was on the bench. Hopefully Brandon didn't rub off on Emmanuel.

Picture of the student turnout & the new "Bird Cage". 

(My apologies for the sideways picture....can't figure out how to rotate it.)

IMG_3712.JPG

You guys are too focused on the SEOSU on the front of their jerseys. That is a good, big, athletic, well-coached team we played Wednesday night. They took UTEP to the wire last week.

We won't see any bigger, more athletic teams in our conference. Not to mention, they were playing to win and we were subbing/playing it like and exhibition.

Do we need work, and time to get the new guys in the same page? Certainly. But, I was extremely encouraged at what I saw.

20 wins this year. Mark it down.

20 wins?.....Voice, if ORU wins 20 then TheEagleman will have to send you a case of Dos Eqquis......and that student section photo above is an improvement from last year but still kind of sad to a guy who remembers when ORU students would completely fill four full gold sections behind the basket EVERY game and sometimes spill over into the Blue sections above....of course, that was 40+ years ago.....and ORU was 20+ wins every year and a national power....:mellow:

We played numerous player combinations and had a lot of new/freshmen on the court. That certainly hinders continuity on offense and defense. 

We put in our walk on/reserve players when we were up around 17 with 12 minutes remaining - and SEOK promptly went on a run. We lost our focus. 

Nice to see that we were working so hard to make the entry pass into the post. 

I was pleased with the talent level - but not the defensive effort. Hopefully our guys will learn from this and apply themselves on defense. 

I wasn't paying any attention to the uniforms - I just kept seeing a 6'6" post man catching the ball on the block and getting to the rim time and time again, while his backcourt mate a couple of times drove baseline uncontested, did a U-turn, then drove back along the baseline AGAIN for a reverse lay-up or a kickout pass.

It was all I could do not to run down out of the stands to straddle the baseline with one foot out of bounds to draw a charge (just like I learned in junior high), screaming "SEE???  THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT!!!  NOW, RUN THAT PLAY AGAIN!!!" :@