Athletics Luncheon: a reminder

titansforever

Just a reminder.....The Alumni office's annual Athletics luncheon is on Thursday, October 27, 12 noon, Fenimore Room in the Hammer Center. Mike Carter, Scott Sutton, and Misti Cussen will be presenting. Online registration is live; go to http://attend.com/ALOCT16 and sign up. Cost is $10/person. Door prizes: 2 sets of (2) tickets to an upcoming men's game.

Numbers are low right now. Please come if you can!

I attended the ORU Alumni Luncheon today. There was a decent crowd to hear Mike Carter and Scott & Misti. Here is a recap from the notes I took. 

Mike Carter discussed scholastic achievement of ORU's student-athletes.  Now avg 3.2 gpa. In the future, NCAA will assign money based on GPA, graduation rates and APR. 

Oral wanted a strong athletics program. President Wilson/Mike helped institute a new athletic vision that focuses on the Whole Person. 

Misti Cussen

Excited about season. Injuries hit last year. Better this year. 2 preseason 2nd team all conference players. Faith & Mayberry. Maria (Spain) and 2 sisters. Those are the projected starters. Good size off the bench. 2 players about 30 days out (nicked up). SDSU is ranked #1 mid major. SD won the WNIT. Not completely healthy. Good chemistry. Good young staff - 3 played for ORU. 

Will try to score quickly. Uptempo offense - shooting 3's. Some pressure D. 

Obtained Spanish players thru contacts about 3 years ago. Three players thru that pipeline so far. 

Change in Saturday game times. 12:30 for women and 3:00 for men. 

Scott Sutton

Scheduling has changed. Big schools will not travel. We have 3 good schools on the home schedule this year. Richmond, AR-Little Rock and Tulsa. 

Last year was disappointing. We started 8-2 but it ended badly. Bit of a mystery. Chemistry was not great. Conference was tough; high RPI. Lost early in conference. Lost confidence.

But had highest GPA in conference. 

Expect Owens to really step up this year. Will graduate in 2-1/2 years. Harris in 3 years.  After losing Obi - not a lot of expectations from outsiders. This team is going to surprise people. Emmanuel will start from day one. White may sit out this year. Coming back from major knee surgery. Hopefully he can play. 

Team will be balanced. No superstar  - like in the past. (Green/Tutt, Ehambe, Morrison, Emegano)

Two new coaches. Have brought new perspective. 

Have had players nicked up in first few weeks of practice. Five players on the sideline.  May red shirt a couple of players. 

Owens is a leader - along with seniors (three guards)

Have two verbal commitments (recruits) - and hope to possibly get a third for early signing period. 

• Upvote 1

thanks ORUTerry for the recap.

interesting about Darian Harris.  i wonder if he will stay for his senior season or go the graduate transfer route.  i hope he stays......i still think with some confidence he can be a valuable piece off the bench as a 3 pt threat.

Oral wanted a strong athletics program. President Wilson/Mike helped institute a new athletic vision that focuses on the Whole Person. 

not sure what to make of this......i hope they are still committed to fielding teams that can win league championships.

Javan may sit the year out? A couple may redshirt?

I hate to focus on the negative, but to me those are concerning possibilities to the start of the season.

I was/am? looking forward to a big year for Javan!

Thanks for the report, Terry but TheEagleman also focused in on the Javan White comment....was counting on him being a starter....if he is out for an extended period that's a major problem....:(

Ditto on White - his presence/absence will definitely by felt.

Just once these days I would like to see the projected starting five from August actually survive till March.

On 10/27/2016 at 3:40 PM, ORUalum said:

interesting about Darian Harris.  i wonder if he will stay for his senior season or go the graduate transfer route.  i hope he stays......i still think with some confidence he can be a valuable piece off the bench as a 3 pt threat.

If I'm not mistaken, Darian graduated last May, so he's already made his decision to stay with the team - and must be pursuing a graduate degree.

I was also at the Luncheon and upsetting that White may be redshirting. I hope not. Coach Sutton seemed to say we would surprise some teams, so that was encouraging. Coach seemed more upset about last year and why we started off at 8-2 and then went downhill. I also noted the spark or twinkle in his eyes as he spoke of the new coaches on board. He seemed to relay that they have brought a new attitude and ideas to the table. I liked what I heard from that. I really believe he is not ready to reveal how good his team may be this year. I hope they are more focused on the goal than last year. Possible Height coming in the fall recruiting as I learned from one of our board contributors at the luncheon. Trust he is correct. We seem to have a possible 2 out of  3 for the fall recruiting. Maybe all three.