Summit League Preseason Teleconference

Old Titan

It would be nice to have enough forwards/centers that we could consistently have 2 big men on the court at all times.  We were so weak defensively when we relied on 4 guards in the lineup.  

We lost a lot of conference games last year that we usually win including losses to Denver, Omaha, South Dakota, and IPFW.  Those are teams we should normally beat.  I think those losses were mostly attributable to a somewhat predictable offense that was not focused on post scoring and an anemic defense due to our lack of size and possibly lack of defensive focus.

Scott has said a lot of positive things about what he is seeing in practice.  I hope it translates to success on the court.

15 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Why not?

Well, I guess if we try to outscore our opponents we have a chance to win 100% of our games. :D But I think we have an even greater chance of winning games if we get better at keeping the other guys from scoring.

I know the Summit League is greatly improved, but giving up 77 ppg and 46% from the floor is terrible for a team that is not prolific at scoring themselves. Even without Jeffries providing depth as a strictly wing defender (although that would be a 'nice-to-have'), this group sounds like we have the potential to be better defensively just due to size. Not saying that effort doesn't have something to do with it, but at some point even maximum effort gives way to size/skill.

This could also be the first year in a while that we have a post player(s) that is also a serious rebounder (7 or 8 rpg). Who was the last one, DBH?

Ah...DBH.....TheEagleman used to rip that guy for playing "soft" but now I have to say that I miss him.....he wasn't that bad after all......a quick internet check shows that DBH is now playing for a professional team in the 2nd tier of the Italian League....:eagles:

1 hour ago, ManiacAlum said:

Well, I guess if we try to outscore our opponents we have a chance to win 100% of our games. :D But I think we have an even greater chance of winning games if we get better at keeping the other guys from scoring.

I know the Summit League is greatly improved, but giving up 77 ppg and 46% from the floor is terrible for a team that is not prolific at scoring themselves. Even without Jeffries providing depth as a strictly wing defender (although that would be a 'nice-to-have'), this group sounds like we have the potential to be better defensively just due to size. Not saying that effort doesn't have something to do with it, but at some point even maximum effort gives way to size/skill.

This could also be the first year in a while that we have a post player(s) that is also a serious rebounder (7 or 8 rpg). Who was the last one, DBH?

Size matters.

• Upvote 1

All I know is this:  I've been warning every preseason since the Southland days that ORU's roster did not have enough size; that even the guards were too small to defend typical D-1 perimeter players.  My fears have been pretty much borne out, particularly on the defensive end.

Now, we get a chance to see if size really DOES matter, at least in terms of defense and rebounding. :muscle: