ORU Volleyball Beats Arkansas

ORUJason

The ORU women's volleyball team beat Arkansas in 3 straight games to take the victory at the Aerobics Center last night.  Way to go!

Nice "W" for the Lady Eagles.  Even better, it happened in front of a nice home crowd in the AC.  Congratulations to the team!  BTW, announced attendance of 1,272.  Not bad at all.

I wasn't there unfortunately, but I could tell from following the match on that Twitter thing that the crowd really made a difference.  Over a thousand people crammed everywhere around and above the court at the AC, which for sure gave us a huge home court advantage and really motivated the players, a couple even mentioned in tweets how great the atmosphere and the fans were.  

Kudos especially to the ORU Student Association and the ORU Collegiate Club for sponsoring a pep rally and ice cream social, where the players served the student body, the night before the match, and for organizing a student rally and for really getting the word out and about to promote the match.  Hopefully they'll both be involved like this for future events- men's and women's soccer, conference volleyball matches, and for men's and women's basketball.  It would be great to see better student turnout at all of our home games and matches.  I think the Golden Eagle Club also did some promoting, and ORU advertised the match on campus through chapel announcements, etc.  Very nice to see so many moving parts at ORU join together and really make this match an event.

Always good to beat anyone from a power conference, even if the Razorbacks are having a down year and are struggling to adjust to a new coaching staff.  Sweeping them in three sets is even more impressive.  

It was a great team effort all around, but I have to say, once again, that Laura Milos is a superstar, a beast, and the GOAT.  If any of you that are in Tulsa get a chance to watch her play, please do, or try to watch a broadcast of a match or all of them before she graduates next year (she's a junior, and hopefully, I pray, will come back next year and not turn pro or something crazy like that).  It's amazing that our opponents know that she's going to get the ball on the attack ALOT and she still puts it to the floor and scores as much as she does.  She's also got an excellent serve and plays pretty good defense for such a talented offensive player.  It's a beautiful thing to watch her play volleyball.

The team's had sort of an up and down season so far, they've had stretches where they've played good and then they've lost matches more than once that they coulda shoulda won.  Hopefully this win will propel them forward with confidence as they head into conference.

Here are some tweets that give a good feel for how electric it was last night:

I've seen some people that have said that we should be playing our matches in the Mabee Center.  I know we did at one time, maybe late 1990s or early 2000s?  Personally, I think that the AC gives us a much better home court advantage.  It's more intimate, the fans are right on the court, and it can get really loud, not thinking the Mabee Center would be the same.

Anyway, it was a great night of volleyball.  Go Eagles!

I watched the event on the live stream at oruathletics.com.  I think that feed was actually from Arkansas' TV feed.  Either way, it was fun to watch.