Summit Coaches on the Hot Seat

ORUIsbig

On 8/25/2016 at 0:21 PM, oruvoice said:

I think the whole "recruit Christian athletes" is terribly flawed.

I can give numerous examples of athletes converted, due to their time at ORU.

It's akin to saying, only saved people can be allowed to attend your church...

This ^^^^

Look, it would be nice to sign McDonald's All-Americans and National Merit Scholars as well, but it's hard to do - at ANY school  

Ya just gotta sign the best kids you can, then ya gotta coach 'em up, and then ya gotta teach 'em up, and in ORU's case, ya gotta preach 'em up.  

It's a tall order, any way you slice it...

I would hope you don't have to be converted in order to have a good experience at ORU.   I would think ORU could be a place where an athlete could have a great experience if they were willing to live in a God centered moral environment.    NonChristians work in Christian environments.  Why can't nonchristian athletes play for teams with christian standards of conduct?  I feel like ORUBB does a good job of that balance.  

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

What a difference 5 months makes - LOL

I really do owe an apology to the blogger who predicted ORU would be a cellar-dweller this season.  It may have been dumb luck on his part, but I'm willing to eat my crow when I have to.

As for the rest of the opinions expressed in this thread, the current situation does make you wonder anew:  IS Scott perfectly safe? HAS he not earned the right to be forgiven back-to-back losing seasons? DOES Billy Wilson have a tolerance point, and what is it?  WOULD Mike Carter, at this stage in his career, even hint at any ultimatum of some sort?

Just wonder what the landscape will look like in ANOTHER five months?

Interesting questions OT.  My guess is that based not only upon 2 straight years of losing seasons, but also a couple of years prior to that of very mediocre seasons, Mike Carter has a private end of the season conference with Scott Sutton and probably states that things either get better next year or your gone.  Why?  Because a third straight losing season along with 2 very mediocre seasons prior thereto will not cut it at the D-I level.  Especially when you are heading into your 19th season as the HC.  In other words, it will be a private discussion but the message needs to be sent.

Let me start by saying this: I am about as big a fan as Scott has on this board. However, we've fallen FAR below mediocre. We are currently in sole possession of last place in a weak Summit League. Last year was a serious blow, and now this year we're looking at single digit wins and possibly being left out of the tournament. He's making more money than most (all?) of the coaches in our conference. At this point, if there is any ambition or pride within our program, I would hope a discussion is had at the end of the season. If we're going to keep paying the money, there had better be results. 

That being said, I doubt either Mike Carter or Billy Wilson will have a discussion with Scott. Unfortunately, his seat is as cool and comfortable as any in the country. 

You have to have someone who believes that this program can be great. That's why OR was such a important component to ORU's success. And while RR was manipulative, irresponsible and selfish, he also really believed that this program could be a "Gonzaga" type program. Who believes that anymore? Billy Wilson still posts on social media about his beloved Kentucky Wildcats and seems more interested in turning ORU into a missions school than anything else. And Mike Carter.... he seems tired and content with the state of things.  

Apologies for the overly optimistic post. :neutral: