2016-17 Roster

ORU GRAD

Is the "ton of guards" a veiled reference to a certain freshman guard listed at 6'-4" and 243 pounds?

That's pretty darn hefty for a perimeter player...guessing he will either lose the weight in the next few months, or never see the floor this year.

Sixteen names on the roster - that's a lot of bodies.  Curious to see if that's how many are actually on the team around October 15th.

I am hoping that Chris Miller has his academics squared away and will be able to make significant contributions this year.

speaking of weight, Javan only +3 pounds from last season (205 to 208).

22 hours ago, ORUJason said:

I am hoping that Chris Miller has his academics squared away and will be able to make significant contributions this year.

Chris is, at best, an undersized post player. 

Unless he has developed some sort of face-up game, his main contribution will likely be just gettin' down low, bangin' guys around, grabbing rebounds, getting to the line - real "lunch bucket" kinda stuff. :muscle:

Overall, a bigger team than the last couple of years, but still no "aircraft carriers"* like a decade ago:  five guys 6'7" or over, but no one over 6'9".

Just hoping they all can play (literally AND figuratively).

*Hall of Fame coach Al McGuire's term for players 6'-10" or taller. McGuire-ism's

Do you think Chris Miller could be a Marcus Lewis type player?  If so, he could make a significant contribution to the team.  That is what I am hoping for but we won't really know until we see him play.

• 2 weeks later...
0 Aaron Young G Sr. 5-11 170 Edmond, Okla. / Memorial HS (Eastern Oklahoma State)
1 Kris Martin G So. 6-5 177 Frisco, Texas / Kimball HS
3 Jontray Harris G So. 6-3 176 Austin, Texas / Reagan HS (Hesston College)
10 Jalen Bradley G Sr. 6-1 180 Norfolk, Neb. / Norfolk HS (Northeast CC)
12 Isaac Gilliam G Jr. 6-2 190 Dripping Springs, Texas / Dripping Springs HS
13 Aaron Anderson G R-Sr. 6-3 200 Edmond, Okla. / Santa Fe HS (Central Oklahoma)
20 Spencer Sutton G Fr. 6-4 243 Tulsa, Okla. / Holland Hall HS
21 Adam Glenville G Sr. 6-4 199 O'Fallon, Mo. / O'Fallon Christian HS
23 Emmanuel Nzekwesi F Fr. 6-8 217 Trophy Club, Texas / Byron Nelson HS
25 Javan White F So. 6-9 208 Ames, Iowa / Ames HS
30 Dezmond McDaniel G Fr. 5-11 166 Kansas City, Mo. / Archbishop O'Hara HS
32 Kellen Manek F Fr. 6-7 227 Harrah, Okla. / Harrah HS
33 Darian Harris G R-Jr. 6-6 198 Springdale, Ark. / Shiloh Christian HS (Creighton)
35 R.J. Smith G Fr. 6-4 203 Olathe, Kan. / Olathe North HS
44 Albert Owens C Jr. 6-9 262 Cedar Hill, Texas / Trinity Christian HS
52 Chris Miller F Fr. 6-8 261 Tulsa, Okla. / Booker T. Washington HS  

other than the seniors it will be interesting to see how much turnover happens this year and how different this list looks a year from now.

(EDITED - I originally had a Twitter poll linked here re: "Who Will Lead ORU In Scoring This Year?", but Doc Cornelius has begun a new thread with a better poll - use link posted below and go vote!)

Wow.  That is a good question.  Who will be our leading scorer, who will be our best player, and who will be our our go-to player in crunch time when you need a bucket?  Will that best player be a guard or a forward?  Will we continue with a guard oriented lineup due to our lack of depth at forward?  There are more questions than answers right now with this team, but there is also a lot of encouraging potential.

44 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

Wow.  That is a good question.  Who will be our leading scorer, who will be our best player, and who will be our our go-to player in crunch time when you need a bucket?  Will that best player be a guard or a forward?  Will we continue with a guard oriented lineup due to our lack of depth at forward?  There are more questions than answers right now with this team, but there is also a lot of encouraging potential.

Based on previous years, I think there will be a temptation to go small with Bradley, Martin and Young on the perimeter, White at the "4" and Owens in the post. 

And offensively, this five is a pretty strong group, but on the floor at the same time last year, that particular 3-guard combo was a sieve on defense.

At some point, you have to do a little "addition by subtraction" by giving up some offense to shore up the defense on the perimeter.

The question is, which of those three veterans sits, and who takes his place as a defensive stopper - a newcomer?

Geez....TheEagleman's crystal ball is showing a 14-18 record for the 2016-17 season.....but will have to wait for the official schedule and a pre-season game or two before making an official prediction....more to come.....:wacko:

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Based on previous years, I think there will be a temptation to go small with Bradley, Martin and Young on the perimeter, White at the "4" and Owens in the post. 

And offensively, this five is a pretty strong group, but on the floor at the same time last year, that particular 3-guard combo was a sieve on defense.

At some point, you have to do a little "addition by subtraction" by giving up some offense to shore up the defense on the perimeter.

The question is, which of those three veterans sits, and who takes his place as a defensive stopper - a newcomer?

I really like this starting lineup. The White-Owens combo down low could be phenomenal next year. To your point about the porous defense of this group, exchanging Aaron Anderson for Aaron Young gives mores size and defensive strength on the perimeter. This also allows us to bring in AY off the bench, which I think is his best role. Consistent energy, defensive effort, and outstanding three point shooting make him the perfect sixth man.

Despite last years meltdown, my optimism for this squad remains high. We were on the losing end of a lot of close games. Who knows-- maybe the team will be better off with a more team-oriented offensive approach opposed to the "Get Obi the ball and hope he scores" attitude.

Manic...it's funny because I was actually thinking the exact same thing last night.....despite losing the #8 scorer in the nation, maybe ORU will actually be better off and less dependent on the senior scorer.....perhaps we will pass more and spread the rock around.....Obi was a great scorer but the games were rather boring to watch because it seemed we would just let the clock run down and get it to Obi for a shot....what this team will do in 2016-17 is anyone's guess...perhaps my 14-18 predication is far too negative a statement to make in July....TheEagleman needs to see how this team gels during pre-season practice and the pre season games before making any more statements....:eagles: