2017 interest / offers

ORUalum

Lundy is a  6-4 PG who has a strong work ethic, is unselfish and a passion for basketball.....hummm.....sounds just like a guy ORU could use next year.....:|

25 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

I did a quick search, and according to ESPN, if this is the same TJ Washington, he signed with IUPUI out of Jenks HS....can anyone confirm this is the same person?

25 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

I did a quick search, and according to ESPN, if this is the same TJ Washington, he signed with IUPUI out of Jenks HS....can anyone confirm this is the same person?

good call......he's from Jenks

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/travis-washington

18 hours ago, ORUIllini said:

I watched TJ quite a bit as he was growing up:  my son played both with and against him over the years on the "traveling teams" (aka AAU) circuit, and TJ went against Owasso and Shake Milton several times as the starting point guard for Jenks.  He also went head-to-head with RJ Fuqua dozens (if not hundreds) of times over the years in AAU tournament play.

TJ is listed as class of 2018  - it appears he must not be eligible for immediate transfer, and will need to finish up at Coffeyville CC first. 

That may explain why he did not play at IUPUI after signing with them last year - he may not have qualified, but that's just a guess.

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

TJ is listed as class of 2018  - it appears he must not be eligible for immediate transfer, and will need to finish up at Coffeyville CC first. 

That may explain why he did not play at IUPUI after signing with them last year - he may not have qualified, but that's just a guess.

i considered putting that offer in the 2018 thread, but i figured they are not shopping for 2018 when they seem to be attempting to sign another PG this year.

OT, what's the story w/Memorial's Caleb Nero?  Is he an option to for ORU at shooting guard?

On 3/26/2017 at 1:14 PM, ORUalum said:

OT, what's the story w/Memorial's Caleb Nero?  Is he an option to for ORU at shooting guard?

No clue about Nero's availability - Caleb and RJ Fuqua were backcourt mates on the same AAU team for years as they were growing up (Caleb's dad and Richard Fuqua were their coaches).  Pretty cool to see how well they both performed at the high school level.

• 2 weeks later...

Spring signing period starts tomorrow. Any chance we're able to sign ANYBODY now? At this point, we've almost undoubtedly lost the recruits we had been working on, and have no staff to recruit anyone new. 

The timing of this could not have been worse. We're gonna be picking up guys from the AC to fill out roster spots. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a story that recaps Arkansas high school basketball for the past (2016-17) season:  http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/arkansas-basketball-2016-17-team-rankings-postseason-awards/

The author mentions Emir Ahmedic and Southwest Christian Academy:

* Independent-school No. 1: Southwest Christian Academy of Little Rock (34-3) is not a member of the Arkansas Activities Association, and thus is not allowed to compete against AAA teams, but the Lions were one of the top independent schools in the country. SCA won the National Association of Christian Athletes national title and the Lions were regularly ranked in MaxPreps’ independent-schools national Top 10. Senior Avery Benson, a transfer from Springdale Har-Ber, was the Lions leading scorer. Seniors Mladen Armus (a 6-9 power forward / center from Serbia) and Gabe Osahuobien (a 6-7 combo-forward from Toronto) were steady frontline forces for the Lions. Emir Ahmedic (Oral Roberts signee), Shakur DanielJevon BrownMiykah McIntosh, and others were also instrumental to SCA’s 10-1 record for first place in the tough Texas Christian Athletic League.

On 2/3/2017 at 8:53 AM, Old Titan said:

I remember this kid in high school - played for his dad at Glencoe, where he they won three state championships in (I think) Class A.

If anyone from around here remembers Conley Phipps playing for HIS dad at Cleveland back in the 80's (before playing collegiately at OU and Northeastern State), he's that guy.  At Glencoe, Ty was tenacious and never met a shot he didn't like, and his junior college stats seem to indicate the same.

Let's just say that at 273 shots attempted, 42 assists, and 60 turnovers in 17 games this season, I doubt he's the big point guard I wanted for Christmas. 

But, he IS tall for a perimeter guy!

• 2 weeks later...
If I read the NCAA recruiting web page correctly, the National Letter of Intent (NLOI) signing period is April 12 thru May 17. We are in a "Quiet Period" (A quiet period occurs when a coach at an NCAA institution cannot have any in-person contact with a prospective student-athlete or their parents. Coaches can’t go to see any of the athlete’s sporting events or their practices. Athletes are allowed to visit college campuses during quiet periods. Coaches can write or talk to student-athletes on the phone as well.)  from April 20 thru July 5 - with a "Dead Period" (coaches are not allowed to meet with a recruit on or off campus during this time.  They can write letters/emails or call or make visit to schools but not meet with a coach) from May 18 thru May 26.

James "Papi" Conley

1 James Conley
Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 170
Year: So.
Hometown: Derby, KS
High School: Derby
Position: G

Conley helps Hutch win its third national title

James ‘Papi’ Conley is an NJCAA national champion. 

Just over one year after falling in the title game to Salt Lake, Conley and his six sophomore teammates were crowned champions after an 84-58 romping of Eastern Florida State. 

The Blue Dragons won their third title (1988, 1994 and 2017) and Conley said it’s still settling in. 

“It was like a dream come true,” the Derby native said. “It was a true blessing that we actually went out there and did what we needed to do. We did it as a team and got the job done.” 

After watching Conley don Panther green for four years, Derby coach Brett Flory said he knew his former guard would come through at Hutchinson Community College.

“I’m very proud of him,” Flory said. “Papi has been on a mission ever since last year’s championship game loss. Their whole team was on a mission. They had one goal in mind all summer and all fall and it was really cool to see them be able to accomplish that.” 

The Derby native said preparation for this game began seconds after last year’s loss to the Bruins. 

“Right after the game, all the sophomores from last year told us that we deserve to go out and win it (this year),” Conley said. “Right after that, me, Samajae (Haynes-Jones) and Shakur (Juiston) came together and wanted to make this season the best that we could.”

Conley’s mother, Ann, witnessed the celebration of her son’s national championship victory and said her son has worked tirelessly for this moment.

“It wasn’t so much of a surprise to us as much as it was an honor,” Ann said. “We knew what he was capable of and he’s always been a part of championship teams. He doesn’t like losing and he tries his hardest on the court to help his team win.”

In playing under coach Steve Eck at Hutchinson Community College, the win struck close to home for Conley and his family.

The Blue Dragon guard is one of many family members to play for Eck, dating back to when he led Wichita South to one of the greatest stretches in City League history in the 1980s.

“We knew Coach Eck would make a better player out of him,” Ann said. “From the first time he started looking at him, we knew we wanted him to go there and be coached by one of the greatest coaches in Kansas.” 

In Conley’s sophomore season, the Blue Dragons averaged an astounding 92.6 points per game. Their March 5 win vs. Independence Community College (78-54) was the only game that they scored less than 80 points.

The former Panther averaged 9.2 points per game and started 35 of their 37 games.

“He’s a pure point guard at that level,” Flory said. “You don’t go to play for Coach Eck at Hutch unless you want to play with other great players. He could have gone a lot of places if he wanted to score points and all that, but he wanted to win and play with other great players.” 

Conley was also a part of a stifling Hutch defense, winning games by an average of 19 points.

“He’s the one that allowed us to establish our pressure defense from day one,” Flory said. “It was and has been the cornerstone of our program. We built it around him in those first four years that I was here. He took that mentality right to Hutchinson and coach Eck has won a zillion games for a reason. His guys guard.”

Conley was often the glue that was needed to fix any cracks the last two seasons.

“I just try to do whatever I can to get the job done no matter if it’s on the offensive or defensive end,” Conley said. “Whatever my team needs, I try to go out there and deliver.” 

Ann said the Derby community has been instrumental in her son’s life, helping bring out the best player during his Blue Dragon career. 

“The support was tremendous and it helped Papi know that people believed in him,” she said. “This is not the end. He still has a long ways to go and he’s got that support.”

The next home in Conley’s collegiate career has yet to be named, however, he’ll be one of many Hutch players to play at the D-II level or higher.

Haynes-Jones has signed with Wichita State and Juiston, the MVP of the NJCAA National Tournament, has offers from Kansas, UConn, Oklahoma, UNLV, Iowa State and VCU among others.

Emporia State and Coppin State have offered Conley, but the sophomore said Evansville, Nebraska-Omaha and Morehead State have all reached out to him in recent weeks. 

“They told me to keep playing hard and doing what I’m doing and they’ll keep in touch with me,” Conley said of what he’s hearing from colleges. “Hopefully they’ll call soon and I’ll get some more offers.”

• Upvote 1

Sounds like a tough kid. Look forward to see him on the floor this coming fall.