Haywood Hill & Steve Bontrager

Old Titan

While out and about this week, I ran into a couple of ORU Hall of Famers who are really in need of your prayers for healing. 

Haywood Hill and Steve Bontrager are both fighting their own personal battles right now, and I don't feel like it would be betraying any confidences to let you all know.

Please keep Steve and Haywood in your thoughts and prayers - they are both simply great dudes.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Update on this post from six months ago:  pleased to report that Steve Bontrager has been in remission the past few months and is providing color commentary on the TV broadcasts this season. 

Sadly, the news regarding Haywood Hill is much more dire, as I'm told that he has been admitted to hospice care this week. No other details are available at this time.

As we recognize our many great former ORU athletes this Hall Of Fame weekend, please continue to lift up these "True Blue" Titans and their families at this time.

Prayers going up for Haywood Hill....TheEagleman came in contact with him a few times in the early 70s....a really nice guy....sorry to hear that he is struggling....he can't be much more than 65 years old...one of the best ORU players of the late 60's and early 70's....;(

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this was mentioned or not on the TV broadcast Tuesday night, but Steve Bontrager suffered a mild heart attack Saturday night and is now recuperating at home. Mickey Michalec filled in for him on the ESPN3 broadcast.

Luckily, Steve was in a public place when it happened, but he said he was unconscious for several minutes while help was summoned.  No details yet on expected recovery time.

On a related note, Steve was stunned when he received a text last night (just 30 minutes before tip-off with Denver) from Scott Sutton, who had just found out and wanted to check on him.

"How many coaches in America would do that?" Bontrager texted me rhetorically. "Unreal!"

That's a side many of us know about Scott, but seldom get to see publicly, particularly this season.  Behind the frustrated and weary coach with the losing record, is a really great guy. 

Which makes the current situation on the floor that much more painful.

Anyway, back on topic:  Steve said he would really appreciate everyone's prayers.  As he put it, "the more the better - helped b4!" in his victory over cancer.

Coach Sutton is exactly that kind of guy....he emails TheEagleman a couple times per month asking about my wife's health and is still praying for her.....Scott Sutton is a good man....he will get this thing turned around......:eagles::hcsutton2:

• Upvote 1