Matt Whatley

74Titan

I heard that Matt Whatley was injured in some manner, this past weekend. Any update on his status? He's a good player; more importantly, he treats his mother right. I was at the watch luncheon last year and saw how respectful Matt was towards his mother (and dad too). That impressed me more than his skills on the field. Anyway, an update would be appreciated. Thank you.

Thought I heard Hax on the broadcast say it's a groin strain.  I think he said mild groin strain.  Thankfully, I've never had one of those- I would think any strain of the groin wouldn't be pleasant in any way shape or form. :wacko:

From what else was said or implied, it sounds like Matt could miss some time.  Hax talked about other players stepping up and all, including Brent Williams, who'll be catching while Matt's out, and Hax also had Coach Folmar on after a couple of the games and Coach mentioned that some other guys will need to step up, so it sounds like Matt might be out of action for some multiple number of games.  Hope he can come back soon, he's definitely one of our best offensively and defensively.

It's crazy how things happen.  Matt was on first and got hurt going to third on a base hit by Noah Cummings, and from what Hax said he would have made it to third easily, but that's the way Matt plays, full out on every pitch and play.  Again, hope it's mild and he can come back soon.

Thank you, BlueGold, for the update. Catchers are a tough "breed" of players, for sure. Hopefully, rest and treatment (whirlpool?) will help the healing process. The team will need Matt in tournament play, if not before on a limited basis.

Who has heard whether Matt will play tomorrow (Tuesday) night, against OSU? If not tomorrow, will he play in the Summit League Tournament?

Whatley is catching today for ORU....he has 3 hits so far.....:muscle:

Thank you, theeagleman5. It's good to have Matt back, going into the Summit League Tournament and, hopefully, beyond.

Unfortunately, Matt recovered from a two-week leg injury to be able to play yesterday, but was hit on the hand while attempting to catch a foul tip - and did not play today.  According to Geoff's comments during the broadcast, Matt's status for the tourney next week is questionable.  And, without Matt behind the plate, ORU's chances of winning the tourney are also questionable.  Bad timing for a rash of injuries to a superb player.

While I agree Whatley will be missed in the lineup, his absence did not result in 17 hits surrendered and 4 errors charged in today's season-ending loss in Omaha.

if ORU pitches and plays defense up to their standards this week, they should have no problem advancing, even without Whatley.

But, if they pitch and field like they did today and Thursday, not even Whatley's bat in the lineup may be enough for a championship.