2016-2017 Schedule

Old Titan

2 hours ago, ORUalum said:

i'd bet 2 non-D1 home games.....Sutton needs W's

2013-14 -- Cameron and Dallas Baptist

2014-15 -- Haskell and Tabor

2015-16 -- Tabor and John Brown

I'm all for playing games like these, for all the reasons I've harped on before. :y:

If we get DBU back on the schedule, pound them into submission so that maybe some of that carries over to baseball.

ORU's 2016-17 #SummitMBB schedule:

• Dec. 28 - @ Denver
  • Dec. 31 - @ IPFW
  • Jan. 7 - @ W. Illinois
  • Jan. 12 - S. Dakota St.
  • Jan. 14 - IUPUI
  • Jan. 18 - S. Dakota
  • Jan. 21 - Omaha
  • Jan. 25 - @ N. Dakota St.
  • Jan. 28 IPFW
  • Jan. 31 Denver
  • Feb. 4 @ SDSU
  • Feb. 8 W. Ill.
  • Feb. 11 @ IUPUI
  • Feb. 16 @ Omaha
  • Feb. 18 @ S. Dakota
  • Feb. 22 N. Dakota St.

Not a very favorable schedule. First three league games are on the road; last year we played 4 out of six games on the road. Three of our last four games (4 of 6) are also on the road. Similar to last year....

When the going gets tough....the tough get going......:P

5 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Not a very favorable schedule. First three league games are on the road; last year we played 4 out of six games on the road. Three of our last four games (4 of 6) are also on the road. Similar to last year....

Not quite as bad as last year, but, yes - still tough. 

At least the last week of the regular season is a lot easier:  rather than the double-roadie to end last year, ORU has just one game - and it's at home - in the 2 weeks leading up to the tournament in Sioux Falls. 

Those extra days could really pay dividends for tired legs, weary minds, and nagging injuries....

if i'm reading this right, the game at Creighton is actually the 4th game of the paradise jam.  so i assume there is no chance of a return game next year.

this is a good read explaining the exempt tournaments and why schedules can vary from 29-31 games.....LINK

Timing

Division I Manual bylaw 17.3.5.1.1(b) requires that all of an event's games take place in a 14-day span. As usual, there are exceptions. This season, the Creighton Bluejays will host the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles in a non-bracketed game for the Paradise Jam on December 17th, long after the event's final on November 21st. For comparison's sake, the Ole Miss Rebels welcome the Montana Grizzlies to Oxford for the pair's fourth game in the event on November 24th.

• 5 weeks later...

I know we pretty much know most of the schedule, but we gotta be close to an official announcement, right?

I'm just curious of the last few games....will it be anyone good, or non D-1 games?

Spoiler

:eagles:

Maybe Haskell and College of the Ozarks?.....:lol::eagles:

WSU - closed scrimmage Oct 29

The Shockers host a closed door scrimmage against Oral Roberts on Saturday, Oct. 29, followed by their first public exhibition on Saturday, Nov. 5 against Augusta (Ga.) University. The regular season begins Friday, Nov. 11 when South Carolina State comes to town.

http://www.goshockers.com/news/2016/8/18/mens-basketball-shockers-finalize-2016-17-non-con-schedule.aspx

Wish we played Wichita this year. Doubt they finish in the top 2 in the MVC.

Did anyone see the clip of Coach Marshall going Ape$%#&T last week in a WSU exhibition game up in Canada vs. McGill U. ???....he went after the officials because he said they were "cheating" and got tossed....then had to be held back by his players.....so the University suspended him for the final game of the tournament and he apologized.....lol....:P

On 8/18/2016 at 2:30 PM, ORUalum said:

WSU - closed scrimmage Oct 29

Nice find - those closed scrimmages aren't usually publicized ahead of time.

As for when the final schedule will be announced, it's anybody's guess.  Last year is was on August 28th, and it gets later and later every season.

Still firmly believe there is a direct correlation between that fact and historically-low attendance recently for ORU men's basketball:  really hard to go all summer trying to sell season ticket packages when customers can't tell who ORU is playing, on what dates, and at what times.

Can't expect people to just blindly buy a pig in a poke! :doh:

2nd game of the Michigan swing  --- MSU on Dec 3

According to scheduling agreements obtained by MLive, the Spartans will play guarantee games against Mississippi Valley State (Nov. 18), Oral Roberts (Dec. 3), Youngstown State (Dec. 7) and Tennessee Tech (Dec. 10).

For the four guarantee games, Michigan State will pay between $85,000-$95,000 apiece to Tennessee Tech, Oral Roberts, Mississippi Valley State and Youngstown State, according to the contracts.

Oral Roberts finished 14-17 a year ago, its first losing season since 2001 under head coach Scott Sutton, the son of Hall of Fame coach Eddie Sutton. MSU and ORU have never met.

On 8/22/2016 at 1:01 PM, ORUalum said:

2nd game of the Michigan swing  --- MSU on Dec 3

Geez, December is going to be just brutal - hope there's not too much of a hangover headed into conference play in January. :doh: