Daquan is transferring...

ORUalum

• 4 weeks later...

Jeffries went JUCO because Sutton blocked him for a year of transferring to any D-1 school

How can a coach block a player from going to another D1 school?  The player would simply have to sit out a year at the D1 school he transfers to, right?

5 hours ago, OKSPORTSFAN04 said:

Jeffries went JUCO because Sutton blocked him for a year of transferring to any D-1 school

I doubt he blocked all 351 schools.  I would have no problem if he blocked schools in the region. You can't let a player essentially start much of the year and then parlay those minutes to benefit a direct competitor.

After a year of JuCo he can go anywhere he wants......TU included.

Sorry, not buying it - can't recall Scott Sutton "blocking" a player from transferring anywhere before, much less everywhere.  Not even sure how that could be done.

I wonder if "OKSPORTSFAN04" is confused about the new "run-off rule", where a player can be granted a release by his previous school to play immediately after transferring, IF that player does not figure into his previous school's plans for the future. 

Darian Harris is a great example of that loophole:  Creighton recruited over him, gave him a release, and he was eligible to play immediately at ORU.  Obviously that's not the case with Daquan; he would have likely started for Scott Sutton this year, so ORU is not going to grant him a release to play right away for someone else.  He should have to sit out a year at his new school, just like any other transfer who was not "run off".

This smacks of a first-time poster with an agenda just trying to do some damage control re: why DJ couldn't go D-1.

I'm still wondering if was an academic issue - ORU undergrad credits have never been easy to transfer to other schools, even with passing grades.

Yeah....excellent point....that Holy Spirit in the Now course and 20th Century Evangelism class never transfers well to other institutions of higher learning......:rolleyes:

The new run-off rule that OT mentioned sounds like a good rule for a fairly common occurrence and the results of that rule benefit both the student and the institution.  I suspect Daquan may have had to go juco because something he thought was going to work out didn't.  Just a guess on my part.  

Yeah he had to sit out a year because of the transfer, or either go JUCO or D-2... and as far as 1st time poster, yes i am. just speaking with some people close to the situation... either way, it seems like a good mutual move. Jeffries was more of wing than a post... ORU should still be strong though with Martin and White eating up those minutes next year 

On 7/18/2016 at 4:04 PM, OKSPORTSFAN04 said:

Yeah he had to sit out a year because of the transfer, or either go JUCO or D-2... and as far as 1st time poster, yes i am. just speaking with some people close to the situation... either way, it seems like a good mutual move. Jeffries was more of wing than a post... ORU should still be strong though with Martin and White eating up those minutes next year 

Wondering if you are close to the situation, and can explain why he was not willing to  sit out one year at a D-1 school, then have three years of eligibility left after that?

Or, if that was not an option because he could not qualify (academically or otherwise) to enroll at another D-1 school?

Geez.....Tre, we hardly knew Ye.....honestly, not much of a loss....best wishes to the lad....:mellow:

5 minutes ago, titansforever said:

I saw that Tre' Vance is also transferring.

Yeah, it appeared they had given up on him by Christmas break last year - might be an all-time record for juco transfers losing favor.

Vance wasn't very good. You have to wonder if the coaches are desperate or just see themselves as miracle workers with some of these kids. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle. It doesn't seem like we're going to see a Marcus Lewis, Kevin Ford or Shawn Glover transfer walking through the doors anytime soon. 

It's only July and already this 2016-17 season is sounding depressing......can we win 12 games?......YIKES!!!....:o

No offense to the young man, but he never figured in my lineup calculations for this year.

5 hours ago, WingMaaaan said:

Vance wasn't very good. You have to wonder if the coaches are desperate or just see themselves as miracle workers with some of these kids. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle. It doesn't seem like we're going to see a Marcus Lewis, Kevin Ford or Shawn Glover transfer walking through the doors anytime soon. 

I'm not so sure about that - the kid who could never get eligible with Weber State is a physical specimen and could become a player.

You just never know about these low-profile transfers:  for every Tre Vance or Reggie Guyton, there's a Michael Craion or an Adam Liberty.

Just gotta wait and see...

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...