Daquan is transferring...

ORUalum

....wow, a huge blow.  just my opinion, but he was misused playing so much in the post.

with his length, he could be a defensive disruptor as a guard.  his future as a player is not on the blocks, but as a long athletic guard.

if the twitter comments to the tweet above are to be believed, it sounds like he is headed to Tulsa...

1 hour ago, darrenj said:

Has that ever happened before?

Yep, most famously Dana Lewis, a talented power forward in the Karl Malone mold, who was spirited out of an ORU dormitory in the dead of night back in the late '60's by an assistant coach on the TU staff, and went on to enjoy a very nice career for the Golden Hurricane.

The thought of TU poaching ORU athletes - in ANY sport - has been a major concern for the ORU athletic department for decades.  I would be willing to bet that every effort might be made to prevent Jeffries from ever playing for TU, or at least making it very difficult, if for no reason other than principle.

Hate to see another talented player - a projected starter - leave the ORU program, for TU or anywhere else.  This is a VERY disturbing trend over the past few seasons.  Wonder what the entire story is in this case, and particularly if this is a knee-jerk reaction to either Brown or Mason leaving.

If I read the article correctly, a possible reason for the transfer is because we went 14-17?  Seriously????  If so, what a team player.

Well, if that is the reason, he's going to be sadly disappointed with Haith and the trajectory of the TU program over the next few years.

Heck, I'll be shocked if Haith is still the TU coach in 3 years.

according to Sutton he never gave a reason...LINK

“Three weeks ago, he came to us and expressed his desire to transfer,” Sutton said. “We thought the world of DaQuan, and we told him to concentrate on finals and talk to his family. We said, ‘If this is something you want to do, then we’ll wish you the best of luck.'"

“After finals he said he felt like it was best for him to move on,” Sutton said. “He wouldn’t give us a specific reason, though.”

“I hate that (Jeffries) is leaving, but I wish him the best,” Sutton said. “But it’s not surprising; nothing surprises me anymore. (Players transferring) is becoming an epidemic and it’s a problem. Coaches all across the country are scratching their heads.”

Attempts by the World to contact Jeffries on Wednesday were unsuccessful.

Good riddance.....if not committed to the program then....good bye!.....he can sit on the bench next season at Mabee Center and watch TU get beat by ORU...AGAIN!...:eagles:

If I am ORU I would place restrictions on his release including no TU or Summit League teams.

Someone close to the program said they heard he was going to a school in the Metroplex, so who knows.

Bottom line:  you don't want ANYONE in your starting line-up (or even in your locker room) who's not committed to your program.  That's at least cancer, and at worse suicide.

Hate to lose a talented player, but sounds like it's all for the best in the big picture.

I have to believe that the coaches would place restrictions to a transfer to any area school.

I'm pretty sure that TU has filled all of its open (nine - !!) scholarships.

If he does end up at TU it might be to reunite with his old high school teammate Curran Scott who announced his transfer a few weeks ago. 

Incredibly disappointed to lose Daquan. He's a player with a tremendous basketball IQ. You rarely saw him make a silly "freshman mistake" or an unexplainable error. He consistently played smart, fundamental basketball. He's also a guy who could get onto SportsCenter's Top 10 a few times over the next few years.

I know players transferring is an epidemic across the country, but, generally, guys move down to a school where they can get more playtime, or up to a school that better fits their abilities. However, ORU consistently loses players that are legitimate contributors to lateral moves. Is it an issue with the coaching? The school? The athletic department as a whole?

Already a really tough off-season for us.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...