2016-2017 Roster

Old Titan

I think this topic has been touched on in a couple of other threads, but we probably need to consolidate further conversation this summer to just one spot.

As mentioned elsewhere, I heard a rumor that "a couple of guys were leaving the team".  No idea who they are.

Here's an interesting note:

Congrats to Darian, who I hear is a straight-A student.  Could he be immediately eligible at another D-1 now, or does transferring from Creighton as a freshman preclude him from that loophole?  Even if that's the case, might he consider a non-D1 school now that offers more playing time, since he is basically a free agent with one year of eligibility left?

I think you have to assume Darian is leaving. I doubt he lands at a D-1 school, but who knows. I could even see a guy like him passing on his final year of eligibility. Very smart guy who probably has plenty of opportunities after graduation. Very few could graduate cum laude in three years, all while being a division one athlete. Very impressive achievement.

Yes....that is an impressive achievement....but personally, TheEagleman would have preferred an average of 18 points and 8 boards......:P

• Upvote 1

I hope Darian sticks around.  I still believe that he can develop into a sniper off the bench that helps win games.

Here is the updated roster for next year:

1. Owens

2. White

3. Nzekwesi

4. Miller

5. Bradley

6. Martin

7. Anderson

8. Young

9. Jefferies

10. Harris

11. Manek - signed in the Fall

12. Smith - signed in the Fall

13. McDaniel - signed in the Spring

14. Jontray Harris (verbal)

15. Sutton - assume this not a scholarship player

This is one possible scholarship over the limit. If Obi is granted another year, that would be two scholarships over the limit.

I ran into Obi in the post office Monday.  He said he's hiring an agent. 

That single act would make him ineligible in the eyes of the NCAA, so it appears he's not interested in an appeal for a 6th year, or he already knows he can't get one.

Either way, it appears his college career is officially over.

There are pictures of McDaniel (?) saying that he has signed a letter of intent - with Sean Sutton . I assume that since this event has not been reported by the athletic department, McDaniel must have some sort of eligibility issue(s).

If I'm not mistaken, it's an NCAA violation for a school's coach to be in one of those signing day photos; supposed to be limited to family, friends, high school coach, etc., but no one from the school signing the kid... :doh:

Sorry - I didn't mean he was in the photo for the signing. And I'm not even sure if the kid in the Twitter photo was McDaniel. I edited my post.

ORUTerry:

With Jeffries gone, as well as (apparently) Harris and Emegano, how would a revised roster look like now? might there be one open spot for a juco, transfer, or late freshman signee?

Revised Roster for 2016-17

1. Owens

2. White

3. Nzekwesi

4. Miller

5. Bradley

6. Martin

7. Anderson

8. Young

9. Harris

10. Manek - signed in the Fall

11. Smith - signed in the Fall

12. McDaniel - signed in the Spring

13. Jontray Harris (verbal)

14. Sutton - assume this not a scholarship player

Losing Jefferies means we lost a bit of size - which is never a good thing.

If anyone else leaves, that would open up a spot. Of course, the McDaniel and Harris scholarships are not totally confirmed yet.

ORU Adds Two More During Spring Signing Period

This press release just made me realize something:  Media Relations in the ORU Athletic Department has yet to announce anything about Spencer Sutton "signing" with ORU.  The only mention has been an article in the Tulsa World of the ceremony at Holland Hall.

And this press release only makes reference to "four newcomers, three of them freshmen" signing this year.

Which, I would assume, are:  Manek, Smith, McDaniel, and Harris.

More evidence that Sutton will not be on athletic aid, I suppose - he's basically a "preferred walk-on", eh Bad Blood? ]:)

• 1 month later...

When will the schedule for 16/17 be released?

Does anyone know how close we are to this info?

I believe there is already a 2016-2017 schedule thread in the main forum, but we are a ways away from a schedule release. ORU is consistently one of the Division 1 schools to release their schedule. Some of the more informed posters have already begun piecing together some of our schedule from what has been released from other schools. We should have an official schedule around mid-august, maybe earlier if we're lucky.