Sioux Falls 2016

Old Titan

TheEagleman may need a whole 6-pack while watching this opening round game late Saturday night......could get ugly?....then again.....ya never know.....:blink:

Obi is always hot. What we need is someone, nay 2-3 people, to get hot.  Cant have Owens with 2pts. Cant have K-Mart not hitting shots. Cant have Brandon in foul trouble.  I don't see any we will see anything different than we have seen.  The team that could win this thing is the team that we had in November.  But I don't see it resurfacing. 

20 hours ago, lakesbison said:

come tourney time, if a great player gets on a heater, all bets are off... so let er Fly Obi!!

AY, Obi, Jeffries, Conley, Owens

shorten the bench; 30+ minutes for all w/Obi 35+ minutes

1 game playoff ---- like to see what that lineup could do.

I like that lineup if they bring it and Conley can actually make it 35 minutes without fouling out.

So a pair of 1 point games last night in the Summit Semis....NDSU rallies from way back in the 2nd half to edge #1 seed IPFW, 69-68....and SDSU barely holds on to oust Denver 54-53.....so it's the Bison vs. the Jacks in tonights' final....TheEagleman will be watching....should be some good basketball.....:blink:

Wild semi-final games Monday night:  after trailing by double-digits for the entire game against No. 1 seed IPFW, the 5th-seeded Bizon of NDSU mount a furious 2nd half comeback to nip the Dons and return to the finals.

And, if that wasn't enough, No. 2 seed SDSU gets outscored something like 28-4 to open the second half against No. 6 Denver, seeing a 10-point lead turn into a 14-point deficit, only to have this sequence in the waning seconds:

1.  With the game TIED, Denver has a lay-up blocked and then inexplicably SHOVES SDSU ON PURPOSE FROM BEHIND in transition with 2 seconds left!

2.  Jake Bittle misses the first FT, but makes the second for a 1-point Jackrabbit lead, then SDSU FOULS DENVER ON THE INBOUND PASS with 0.6 left!

3.  With a chance to tie it with one free throw, and win it with both free throws, Denver MISSES THE FRONT END OF THE 1-AND-1! 

Game over.  Heartbreaking loss for the Pioneers, leading to this class act form the Denver Nuggets:

So much for my prediction of "chalk to the finals" - it's No. 2 vs. No. 5, in a rematch from last year.

Werner vs. Baum should be interesting - "must see TV" tonight...

Say what you will, but the LOCATION of the conference tournament is a VERY BIG DEAL. Look at the final game participants and winners, since the tourney moved to the frozen tundra. It is not a coincidence.

Having the tourney in Tulsa for 4 years was HUGE. Both our men's and women's programs claimed 3 titles during the 4 year span. Then, look at the results before and after. I'm afraid if we don't step things up a couple of notches, you can just rename the Summit League the Dakota League.

Frustrating.

I am sure the non-Dakota schools are frustrated with the Dakota dominance in the tournament.  However, until another financially viable alternative location surfaces, it is hard to justify moving it anywhere else.

If you recall, Tulsa was the best attended/most financially productive venue that the conference had ever seen...at that time.

But, the dynamic has changed. The numbers (attendance & dollars) that South Dakota is putting up simply can't be matched, by us or anyone else. I fear it will be there as long as the Dakota's are in the conference.

Maybe we should move to the WAC....we might be competitive there.....Chicago State, Grand Canyon, Utah Valley.....etc......:P

I can see why you guys would be frustrated with location. What I would say in defense is that this is the third time the men's team has made the dance, we won the regular season title the other two years and finished second this year. As for the women I believe they were regular season champs each year they have made it until this year when they finished second so it's not like we are coming out of nowhere to win the title. I think NDSU was regular season champs each year they have went so the same applies to them. As soon as we get there with a fifth place conference finish I will put more credence into an unfair advantage....just my two cents. By the way, it's great to have you back in the conference. Part of where we are now was having to raise our game to your level.

1 hour ago, NebraskaJack said:

I can see why you guys would be frustrated with location. What I would say in defense is that this is the third time the men's team has made the dance, we won the regular season title the other two years and finished second this year. As for the women I believe they were regular season champs each year they have made it until this year when they finished second so it's not like we are coming out of nowhere to win the title. I think NDSU was regular season champs each year they have went so the same applies to them. As soon as we get there with a fifth place conference finish I will put more credence into an unfair advantage....just my two cents. By the way, it's great to have you back in the conference. Part of where we are now was having to raise our game to your level.

Well said, Jack - and an excellent post.  In fact, I can't remember a more balanced, thoughtful, and courteous post from a Summit "rival" in a LONG time.  You are VERY welcome here - and I hope to hear more from you in the future!

Now it's up to us to raise our game to YOUR level - and we will.  That's what a good conference affiliation does, which is why we returned to the Summit.

It sucks, but it just doesn't make sense to move the tournament from Sioux Falls. In a perfect world, a rotating tournament site would be ideal, but the revenue the league is bringing in up there far outweighs the, "it's unfair" argument. Maybe one day ORU can put enough meat in the seats to make Tulsa a viable option again..

Wishful thinking. 

Yeah....the tournament will stay in Sioux Falls and deservedly so....that crowd last night for the final was loud and made the game exciting on TV....all that Blue and yellow was impressive on the HDTV screen...we were so close to eliminating the Jacks in round 1... but congrats to them for winning it all and going to the Big Dance SDSU won that game fairly convincingly down the stretch.......at 26-7, I would expect about a 13 or 14 seed for the Jacks....and IPFW will head to the NIT as regular season champs.....as for ORU...back to Tulsa to lick our wounds for next season....hopefully a much better one....:eagles:

14 hours ago, NebraskaJack said:

This ^^^^

The best team in the regular season almost always wins the Summit League tournament.  South Dakota State's only upsets over the years in Sioux Falls seem to be over ORU!

It was the same way when the tournament was in Tulsa:  ORU happened to have the best teams at the UMAC all four years.

The question is whether having the tournament so close to Brookings is a decided RECRUITING advantage for SDSU:  if you were a parent of a high school kid in the Dakotas, Nebraska, Minnesota, etc. wouldn't you love to see your boy or girl go to school at a place that's:

1.  Near home (relatively speaking)

2.  Currently very competitive

3.  Plays it's postseason tournament in the same neighborhood every year

That's something that ORU can't compete with on the recruiting trail; neither can Denver, IPFW, IUPUI, etc.

But, as for winning up there, I don't see the atmosphere as being too overly hostile, IF your team brings the goods.  And it could be worse:  in many low-major leagues, the tournaments are held on the home floor of the No. 1 seed, complete with season ticket holders all around, student sections, the home band, etc. 

Now, THAT would truly suck...

I was kind of curious about something though. When you guys left for the Southland I figured you would be gone for good. From the outside looking in, it made a lot of sense to me for you to be in that conference. The warm weather schools for baseball and enhanced recruiting in Texas where students could play in front of family and friends seemed to be a win/win. As for basketball you could argue the Summit may be stronger but both leagues are one bid so it really is a wash anyway. From your guys perspective, why didn't it work?

it does not hurt having the tournament in their backyard, but having the best coach and the best collection of talent is SDSU's biggest advantage.

the best player in the tournament was a freshman (Daum) and he and his coach do not appear to be going anywhere.......SDSU will continue to dominate.

it is largely about the jimmies and joes.  way too many evaluation misses by ORU in recent years.

• Upvote 1