Sioux Falls 2016

Old Titan

Evaluation misses???...you mean you didn't like Singleton, Jackson, Crawford, Harris, Vance, Word, Webber, Lee, Byford, Kaufman, Lliteras.....etc........:P

5 hours ago, NebraskaJack said:

I was kind of curious about something though. When you guys left for the Southland I figured you would be gone for good. From the outside looking in, it made a lot of sense to me for you to be in that conference. The warm weather schools for baseball and enhanced recruiting in Texas where students could play in front of family and friends seemed to be a win/win. As for basketball you could argue the Summit may be stronger but both leagues are one bid so it really is a wash anyway. From your guys perspective, why didn't it work?

I alluded to the answer in my previous post, but I'll be clearer.  While the Southland was better for us geographically - and for baseball - it became very obvious that FCS football was the ONLY sport that mattered within the conference.  Basketball was an afterthought, with most schools hovering around 300 RPI and no intention of improving.  The Summit League is a much better fit for our basketball program, as the goal is to turn the league into a multi-bid conference.  That may have seemed like an unreachable goal in previous years, but with our conference RPI of 11 (better than perennial multi-bid Missouri Valley and Mountain West conferences), we are not far away.  And overall, the fan base of Summit schools (especially the Dakotas) is much more energized than what we experienced in the Southland.  

Along with the lack of focus on basketball, the geographic advantage we were hoping for when we entered the league was also drastically reduced with the 2013 additions of Houston Baptist, New Orleans, and Incarnate Word in San Antonio. These are all 8-10 hour bus rides, just like trips to the Dakotas. At the same time, Southern Utah left the Summit, which was a terrible member geographically (not to mention, they were consistently a 300+ RPI basketball program) for the conference. The Dakota schools have been great additions to the Summit. Hopefully, we'll be able to match their success soon.

As was stated previously, we quickly learned that the Southland was not and really had no intention of becoming a "basketball" conference.  Secondly, the financial commitment to better the conference was clearly not there as opposed to the Summit where the facilities across the board are much better and the commitment to make the league as a whole better is clearly there.  I see the Summit becoming a multi-bid league in a few years.  And, as much as I would love to see the tournament back in Tulsa, I can understand why it is where it is.  This year's tournament was excellent and was fun to watch from a distance on TV.  Now we need those who get bids to any post-season tourneys to make as deep a run as possible.  I see this league across the board doing nothing but getting stronger in the years to come.  Finally, know that we will be rooting for all the Summit League teams to go far.  Good Luck!

Yes, we need Summit League teams to make deep runs in the NCAA Tournament! It benefits all of us.

TheEagleman has just 3 words to say......LET's GO JACKS!!!!....:jackrabbit:

• Upvote 1

One item about making a "run" in the Big Dance, for every appearance either that team or their league gets paid some serious $$$!  A few years ago Ohio made it to the Sweet Sixteen.  For the 1st round (64) they had a $1,000,000 payday.  The second round I think was the same.  The third round (16) yielded a $1,500,000 payday.  Of course that money is paid out over time, but the more teams and farther they go means either a lot of $$$ for the team and/or their conference.  Not to mention the free advertising the league receives every time the announcers on national TV mention that so and so team plays in The Summit League.  IMHO we as a league are still reaping benefits from Saul Phillips and his NDSU Bison run a couple years ago.  

Very respectable 12-Seed for SDSU, considering they were not the regular season champion.

The Horizon League, which Valpo and Oakland joined to move "up" in the basketball world, only garnered a 14-Seed for their tournament champion Green Bay.

Though they would never probably agree to it, would be a perfect time to pursue a Horizon-Summit Challenge series - the two leagues are virtually mirror images at the moment.

Good luck to IPFW who gets San Diego State in the NIT and Omaha who gets Duquesne in the CBI!

• 2 months later...

Just in case there's ANYONE out there who still thinks the Summit League tournament (while the Dakota schools are still in it) is ever leaving Sioux Falls...

Here's hoping that some day soon the primary focus of ORU Basketball switches to these three games in March, and not just beating local non-conference schools in December every now and then...

Any argument that the Summit should move the tournament from Sioux Falls is, in my opinion, ridiculous. Ranking 8th in average tournament attendance is phenomenal, and brings in huge revenues for the league, I'm sure. While it may not be the most "fair" site to hold the annual tournament, it's not moving anytime soon, and we have to get used to it. We're outplayed every March, and it's not because of where the games are played. It's because our teams are simply not as good as what the Dakotas are putting on the floor.

Hoping and praying we can again be competitive in the league we once dominated.

I see the attendance figures as a positive.  I like what I see and believe where I think this League is headed.  I can see the Summit becoming a multi-bid league and at the upper end of the mid-majors.

In my opinion, one critical reason ORU always seems on their heels in March (even with their most talented teams) is that they're facing teams for the third time with few if any wrinkles in their style of play:  always man defense, a sprinkling of zone and full-court pressure with absolutely no commitment, rudimentary offensive sets predicated on over-matching the opponent physically (few "sets" designed around finesse or misdirection).

Bottom line:  it simply doesn't take long to prepare for ORU in March - just watch the tapes from earlier in the year, then go work on your own wrinkles to attack what you know you're bound to see...

• 4 weeks later...

We haven't seen the product on the floor yet, but if early indications are accurate, the Jacks under their new coach should be very competitive for a run in the Summit tourney again next year.  I really enjoy having ORU back in the Summit League. Wish we could get to your level in baseball and enjoy the competition in men's and women's basketball.. 

Would ORU fans like to see UMKC back in the conference?  I am guessing the WAC will fall apart in the next year or so and UMKC may be looking for a home.  I have mixed feelings as I don't think they are willing to put in the effort to strengthen there program and thereby strengthen the league.  They show up on our schedule every year however.

On 7/3/2016 at 9:04 PM, rabbit74 said:

We haven't seen the product on the floor yet, but if early indications are accurate, the Jacks under their new coach should be very competitive for a run in the Summit tourney again next year.

Classic Dakota passive-aggression:  going onto a rival's fan forum in the first week of July to "innocently" tout their own program, under the guise of conference expansion.

Fill me in, people:  did ANYONE here request a mid-summer update of the 2016-2017 SDSU men's basketball team?

Yeah - me neither.

News flash:  every school in the league has guys playing pick-up games right now.  They all look really talented.  The new guys all look better than advertised.  The prospects for this year are sunny. 

Blah, blah, blah...  |(

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Classic Dakota passive-aggression:  going onto a rival's fan forum in the first week of July to "innocently" tout their own program, under the guise of conference expansion.

Fill me in, people:  did ANYONE here request a mid-summer update of the 2016-2017 SDSU men's basketball team?

Yeah - me neither.

News flash:  every school in the league has guys playing pick-up games right now.  They all look really talented.  The new guys all look better than advertised.  The prospects for this year are sunny. 

Blah, blah, blah...  |(

Thanks OT, love it....can't wait to get the season started!

...and it would be even more enjoyable if we could actually beat those guys next season.....GO BLUE!....:eagles:

• Upvote 1