Sioux Falls 2016

Old Titan

Don't look now (actually, you should go look, because I don't have time to list the details), but it appears ORU could very well meet South Dakota State in the first round of the tournament in a 2-vs-7 match-up, if all the favored teams win out this final week.

All things considered, it there's no way of avoiding the Jacks in either the first- or second-round, I guess I'd rather see them in the first game than in the semi's, but that's sort of like choosing between Scylla and Charybdis, isn't it? 

Or, in modern parlance, Hillary and Donald.  Difficult to foresee either scenario as a formula for success... ;-)

• Upvote 1

Win at Omaha on Thursday night and we won't have to worry about facing SDSU in round 1.....but yeah, I would rather see the Jacks sooner rather than later.....and while the Eagleman is not on the Trump bandwagon (Rubio is my man)....I will take the Donald every day of the week and twice on Sunday rather than Hillary......:blink:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Win at Omaha on Thursday night and we won't have to worry about facing SDSU in round 1.....but yeah, I would rather see the Jacks sooner rather than later.....and while the Eagleman is not on the Trump bandwagon (Rubio is my man)....I will take the Donald every day of the week and twice on Sunday rather than Hillary......:blink:

Let's not get too political - it was just wishful thinking for a third option of some sort; for both the voters and the basketball team.

There's an additional possibility that ORU could finish in a tie for 7th/8th with South Dakota, if ORU drops two on the road and the Yotes somehow win their final two at IUPUI and Western Illinois, respectively. 

In that event, ORU loses the tiebreaker due to USD's regular season sweep. and would face the #1 Seed (likely IPFW) in the first round.

Either way as a #7 or #8, you're playing on Saturday, which is a good thing if you can somehow pull off the upset.

Your scenario above is not totally out of the question.....ORU can surely lose two this week and SD could win both.....IPFW is a good team that has beaten us twice this year but TheEagleman would surely rather face them in round one than SDSU.....let's face it....if ORU comes to play and Conley, Owens and Obi all play like they are capable.....we can beat anybody in the Summit....of course, that's a big IF.....ORU could also lose to anybody in the field.....hard to predict anything in this tournament but at this point...let's see how the seedings play out come Saturday night.....we could still finish 6th, 7th or 8th....and the Top 3 seeds are still up for grabs.....:eagles:

19 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Your scenario above is not totally out of the question.....ORU can surely lose two this week and SD could win both.....IPFW is a good team that has beaten us twice this year but TheEagleman would surely rather face them in round one than SDSU.....let's face it....if ORU comes to play and Conley, Owens and Obi all play like they are capable.....we can beat anybody in the Summit....of course, that's a big IF.....ORU could also lose to anybody in the field.....hard to predict anything in this tournament but at this point...let's see how the seedings play out come Saturday night.....we could still finish 6th, 7th or 8th....and the Top 3 seeds are still up for grabs.....:eagles:

Omaha is pretty much a cinch for third, and IUPUI and NDSU are virtual locks for 4th or 5th, where the only difference is what color uniform they wear in their first round match-up.

IPFW holds the tiebreaker with SDSU for the #1 Seed, by virtue of their sweep of Omaha.  They would have to lose twice this week to fall completely out of first, and they finish the year with the same two road games as South Dakota:  at Western Illinois and IUPUI.  Unlikely they would lose both...

this discussion of 6th, 7th, or 8th is depressing.

the only encouraging thing is that they have been playing a bit better.  good enough to make noise in Sioux Falls? who knows?

I haven't heard much about the seeding scenarios, which is understandable given the disappointment of comparing 6-8.

But, I think it is as easy as this:

ORU wins - earns #6 seed and plays Omaha

ORU loses and USD loses - earns #7 seed and plays SDSU

ORU loses and USD wins - earns #8 seed and plays IPFW

Can anyone confirm or dispute this???

13 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I haven't heard much about the seeding scenarios, which is understandable given the disappointment of comparing 6-8.

But, I think it is as easy as this:

ORU wins - earns #6 seed and plays Omaha

ORU loses and USD loses - earns #7 seed and plays SDSU

ORU loses and USD wins - earns #8 seed and plays IPFW

Can anyone confirm or dispute this???

Yep, that's right.  ORU would tie for 6th with Denver if both win on Saturday, but ORU would get the 6th seed by virtue of splitting with SDSU, who swept DU.

How interesting that the XDSU's have never ended up on the same side of the bracket since they've been in the league.

South Dakota losing by 24 in 2nd half to Western Illinois. Maybe a tank job by the 'Yotes so they avoid SDSU? I know things seem bleak, but maybe the old adage of how tough it is to beat a team three times in a year will apply for ORU next week....

Ironically, while most of us consider this year to be a big disappointment and much worse than last year, our RPI has actually improved from 155 to 146.  But, while our RPI improved marginally, our conference improved A LOT, with an AVERAGE upward move of +57!  In fact, only defending champ NDSU has a worse RPI this year than last.  Here's a comparison of 2015 season ending RPI vs. current RPI. 

IPFW  215 to 64   +151

SDSU 85 to 40     +45

Omaha 299 to 133    +166

IUPUI 258 to 192    +66

NDSU   94 to 137   (43)

Denver  234 to 205   +29

ORU   155 to 146    +9

USD    211 to 188   +23

WIU  328 to 258   +70

This should be the best Summit League tourney EVER - with upsets possible in ANY game.

• Upvote 1

Excellent research, TrueBlue.....TheEagleman agrees that this is the most open Summit League Tournament ever..... IPFW and SDSU should be clearly favored to meet in the title game but it would not be shocking to see any one of 3 or 4 other teams in the finals.....sadly, one of those teams will not be our beloved ORU Golden Eagles....this is just not our year.....but we have a young squad and next season should be brighter.....:eagles:

To be honest, even if we bring our best game, we may have to beat the refs as well vs. SDSU in South Dakota.  That is asking a lot.  Normally I am full of optimism, but upsetting the Jackrabbits will require a full team effort.  I believe this team is capable, but only if they will play like they did against Tulsa earlier in the year and bring it on the defensive end.  However, giving up 102 to Omaha 3 days ago doesn't give me a lot of hope that we will bring the full effort it requires.  I would love to be proven wrong!

• Upvote 1

The best way ORU wins this game is an offensive explosion - a defensive grinder would result in too many fouls, too many free throws for the Jacks, too many excuses for ego refs like Lamont Simpson or Frank Spencer to get on TV.

If Kris Martin, Jalen Bradley, or Aaron Young could somehow manage a Marchello-Vealy-at-Kansas kind of performance, then ORU might just be able to out-score 'em...

For all the talk of parity in the league this year, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see this tournament go "chalk" all the way to the finals, until SDSU "upsets" No. 1 Seed IPFW. 

"Styles make fights", as they say in boxing, and I just didn't notice any of the underdogs putting together anything special down the stretch of the regular season, or bringing any particular strengths to the table to exploit any weakness of their first-round opponents. 

Only exception might be NDSU vs. IUPUI in the 4-vs-5 game,, but they're supposed to be toss-ups, right?

I will have 8 guys cheering like crazy for ORU in some pimp seats !!   

come tourney time, if a great player gets on a heater, all bets are off... so let er Fly Obi!!

I went to ndsu at sdsu last week,  sdsu has a great post player in daum.  let their guards chuck 3's up (but not tellinghuasen) if you rebound well & play physical they get a lil scared.

NDSU should beat IUPUI...  IPFW & Omaha should win as well.    make sure you hit BWW's first to get tanked b4 giving denny Sanford anymore money (plus BWW is owned by NDSU grad haha)  cya there!

Yes. I'm sure there will be a large contingent of ORU fans flocking to Buffalo Wild Wings, to get tanked before the game. :blink:

37 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Yes. I'm sure there will be a large contingent of ORU fans flocking to Buffalo Wild Wings, to get tanked before the game. :blink:

Save me a seat - I'll buy a round. :party: