Johnson Stadium Artificial Turf

Old Titan

just infield or outfield also?

please, please, please don't put that hideous bird on the turf.....go with the ORU w/flame.

• Upvote 2

From what I understand, it is infield only - along with the area behind the plate and near the dugouts. 

Coach Folmar talked about this project at the Diamond dinner.  The team and coaches spend a lot of time working on the field, and it always looks great.  The stadium could be used more with artificial turf.  I heard that the homecoming concert really tore up the field.

Speaking of the Diamond dinner, it was FABULOUS!!  

• Dallas Keuchel was super and signed autographs for everyone.
  • The new venue (the Glenpool convention center) worked out wonderfully.   
  • We made more money than in the past.  
  • Big crowd around 450.  
  • Great auctioneer that kept everyone entertained.

It couldn't have been better!!!

• Upvote 2

I read an article yesterday that said some teams who have gone to the artificial turf infield have significantly cut down their errors because the bounce is so predictable.  Also much less maintenance is needed, many fewer rainouts occur, and ORU could host more high school tournaments which could only help with recruiting.  In addition, the author of the article looks very much like a young Chuck Norris.

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/stadium-arena/synthetic-turf-offers-baseball-teams-options.html

Is it UT that has the notoriously long infield turf? I seem to remember it being pretty hard to get the ball out of the infield at Texas.

Worth noting that ORU does not have a non-coaching member of the ground crew, meaning the infield currently receives no maintenance at all during road trips.