Lyon College

Old Titan

ORU falls at home today - by 19 points - to Lyon College, an NAIA school in Arkansas. 

It was the ORU women's first loss to a non-D1 school in 20 years. 

They currently stand at 2-8, with a 7-game losing streak.

Next stop:  4th-ranked Baylor on Thursday in Waco.

Thoughts?

A 19 point loss to an NAIA opponent is more than concerning. Haven't kept up with the women's team at all this year, but the recap says we only have 9 players? Can anyone explain that? 

only have seen parts of a hand full of games and the entire okstate game online, but my impression was that wins might be in short supply.

the good:

• won the only non-conference game that matters - Tulsa

the bad: (pretty much everything else)

• they still don't value the ball -- year 3 --- when does this issue get fixed?
  • so many possessions without even a shot getting put up
  • don't seem to run offense -- lots of quick/poor looks when they do get a shot off
  • post rarely gets fed
  • no matter the 3 pt shooting %, it seems any player, at any time, can fire off a three
  • defense, at best, effective for maybe a half -- when it's figured out -- it's all layups and wide open 3's

Mayberry - a volume shooter -  very inefficient

Ihim - undersized, but best in the post - does not seem to get the ball enough

Beard - game looked raw/( or rusty after injury), but very talented; appeared to have the most upside -- was not seeing enough court time -- transferring out at semester

again have not followed all the games; and don't see what goes on in practice --- but a definite large step backwards from last season

hope they figure it out come conference time.....if not, it will be a struggle to get to 10 wins.

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

...the recap says we only have 9 players? Can anyone explain that? 

If that's true, it's indeed alarming:  women's basketball gets 15 scholarships, as opposed to 13 for the men.

I went to the game, along with a lot of loud children. :)  It was painful.  Lyon was shooting well, but we looked so bad.  Lots of turnovers, poor shots.

I thought we would be good this year, but we sure haven't looked it so far.  I hadn't heard about Beard transferring, that is a shame.  Just like with Chris, I don't understand the timing - at least finish out the year.   We have 11 on the roster, but Lakota Beatty is not eligible until next year and Jordan Gilbert is injured.  I guess that leaves 9.  No seniors except the transfer from Belmont who doesn't play a lot.  I see Jayden Oliver is also off of the roster.  Did she leave?

Just seems like we've lost our "mental" mojo. Dribbling the ball off our feet, with little defensive pressure. Missed lay-ups. Shot fakes, then errant passes, when wide open.

I think the grind of the schedule has really taken its' toll. Only 3 homes games, with 9 road games (against really strong competition). Our women's schedule makes the men's schedule look like a cake walk. Even if we were playing well, there weren't a lot of wins on that schedule to begin with.

I think the pieces are there, to be pretty good. But to me, watching yesterday's game, it looked to me like a team that is "mentally" out of sorts.

That said, I think we'll get it figured out by conference play. However, we still have Baylor and Kansas on the road, then our first two conference games on the road. So, out of our first 14 games of the season, 11 of them are road games. Just brutal...even if we were clicking on all cylinders.

it's more than a tough schedule.  some of this goes to coaching philosophy. this team can not run the high risk/reward trapping defense.

they need to take it back to basics...run a man or a zone, concentrate on solid defense and rebounding and emphasize ball movement and inside out on offense.  for goodness sake, limit the number of turnovers.

start Mayberry over Doyle....your starting PG has 9 assists and 22 turnovers in 10 games...shooting FTs at a 52% clip and 3's at 29%

put Martianez (or Bryce) on the post and get her the ball....enough of Martianez firing up 3's......1/3 of her field goal attempts are from 3 and she is shooting 4-21 (19%).  all her attempts should be 15 ft and in.  ORU has post players of 6'5" and 6'3" and they combine for 6 pts against a much smaller NAIA team.

we are still seeing echos of losing whole recruiting classes....no balance among classes with a team of freshmen and sophomores.  i'd use these scholoarships that have opened to find a couple JUCO's that can contribute next year (ala Toy Jackson and Ty Manuel)