RJ Fuqua (2017 PG)

ORUalum

High school basketball: R.J. Fuqua commits to ORU

The Booker T. Washington guard said he plans to play at Oral Roberts University, where his father, Richard Fuqua, was the school’s first basketball All-American.

“I don’t know if there’s ever been a better fit in the making for a kid to play at a certain school, with his dad playing there and him growing up in Tulsa,” Hornets head coach Joe Redmond said.

“I asked him how many ORU games he had seen in his lifetime and he said it’d probably be easier if he told me how many he had missed,” Redmond said.

:thumbs-up::100:

Richard Fuqua is one of TheEagleman's all time favorites....I was only at ORU for his senior year but I did see two games from his junior year (in the old HRC) while visiting campus and #24 was an amazing shooter...he was an even nicer guy......So glad to  hear that Richard Jr. is going to attend ORU...is this on a scholarship or walk on?....whatever, I sure hope that the kid gets some playing time and gets to wear #24....he's not near as big as his dad, right?....Dad was/is 6-4 and about 195 in his playing days.....:eagles:

I've been torn about weighing in on RJ joining the team, because as you all know (ad nauseum) I've been an outspoken critic of the diminutive nature of ORU's guards, of which RJ would represent yet another addition.

BUT, the more I think about it, the more I like this signing, for the following reasons.

1.  RJ's quite simply a great kid, and parents Richard and Gaysha Fuqua are wonderful folks.

2. He's ORU Basketball royalty - what would it say about ORU NOT to give a crown prince the chance to play?

3. He's yet another Booker T. guy, which is a great pipeline to keep going.

4. BTW connection aside, he's an Oklahoma kid, and a Tulsa kid, and frankly you can't go wrong signing homegrown talent that can play - pays all kinds of dividends in the big picture.

5. As a literal "old Titan", I gotta admit the thought of seeing "FUQUA" on the back of an ORU jersey once again on the Mabee Center floor is pretty darn cool.

So, for everyone's sake, I really hope this works out - and that RJ enjoys a healthy growth spurt over the summer! :muscle:

• Upvote 1

Anything that builds on the great tradition of ORU basketball is a positive in my mind. So welcome aboard, RJ. I just wish one of these numbers was "... he has the potential to be an all-conference player". 

:grimacing:

Class 6A state tournament: Fuqua leads Tulsa Washington past Westmoore

Scott Wright by Scott Wright Published: March 9, 2017 8:33 PM CDTUpdated: March 9, 2017 9:06 PM CDT
1 share

TULSA — Playing on the court he’ll call home the next four years, Tulsa Washington’s R.J. Fuqua came up big in clutch moments of a 56-51 win over Westmoore Thursday night in the first round of the Class 6A state tournament at the Mabee Center.

Fuqua scored 21 points and hit a pair of free throws in the final seconds to seal the victory.

At the beginning of the week, he committed to Oral Roberts, the school where his father, Richard, is regarded as one of the greatest to ever wear the jersey.

“I have to stay steady throughout the process,” the younger Fuqua said. “My teammates look up to me, so I keep a steady flow, my teammates will, too, and we’ll have confidence as a team.”

Ray & I cheered when we heard it on the news tonight.  I went to school with Richard and love their family.  This will also help with marketing the program.  GO EAGLES!!!   Congratulations to RJ, his parents, and Scott Sutton.

TheEagleman would still argue that Anthony Roberts was the best all around player ever at ORU but.....Richard Fuqua Sr. was certainly the man who put ORU on the map with his phenomenal outside shooting and was the leader of the Run and Gun nationally ranked teams of the early 70s....and yes, a really good guy....he was the man who got Mabee Center built...a first round NBA pick of the Boston Celtics who tore up his knee in the preseason and never played in Boston....so glad that his son will be playing at ORU...it's a natural....any chance he will redshirt?...:eagles:

That is a surprising win by BTW. Good job Fuqua.... I'm going to love saying that. 

4 hours ago, BlueGold said:

Wow, that's a pretty big upset!

Vote RJ for VYPE Magazine: Tulsa Area Athlete of the Month (ends March 20th)

Each month, we choose from nominees (You can email to Oklahoma@VYPE.com, post to our Facebook page or Tweet us at  @VYPEOK) and we highlight athletes who have produced in a phenomenal way for their teams during the course of the month.

The monthly polls will last 10 days and be released on the 10th of every month (Ends March 20th). The top vote-getter will be awarded the winner and be published in VYPE Tulsa Area sponsored by Barracuda Staffing.

You may vote as often as you like, however, if too many votes are recognized from one IP address, you may be put in a cooling off period. Rest-assured, you will eventually be able to vote again.

TheEagleman recalls RJ's dad pouring in 50 vs. Trinity U. In Feb 1973....might have been his final ORU game at Mabee Center....#24 hit a long bomb from about 25 feet near the scorers table in the final minute to hit an even 50...:eagles: