Chi Chi Gonzalez call up?

ORUalum

Alex is back on the bump for the Rangers tonight, as Texas tries to avoid a 3-game sweep in the Twin Cities:

Chi Chi Gonzalez gets the call up and the start for today's game vs. the Twins. Game Preview: http://t.co/8ISGzPIzQD pic.twitter.com/Awrcx95L6i

— Texas Rangers (@Rangers)

August 13, 2015

Here's hoping they can give him some run support for a change, but that may be asking too much:   the Rangers scored just 3 times in the first two games of this series... :doh:

12:10 start today. After a tough 2nd inning Chi Chi settled down and got some run support. Rangers up 5-4 in the 5th. Twins haven't had a hit since the 2nd.

• 1 month later...

So the Rangers are proven right by not going into sell mode. Hammels has turned out to be a key part of the turn around as the Rangers find themselves in first place in the AL West  with a 2 game lead. 

Chi Chi has been part of the story too. He pitched 5.1 on 9/13 and got the win against the A's. He pitched a scoreless 9th inning 9/19 in 10-1 thumping of the Mariners. Last night he pitched 2 scoreless after a very shaky start by Martin Perez to set up a great come back win. 

So the Rangers got their cake and get to eat it by getting Hammels and holding on to Chi Chi. 

OT I understand your "that's why they are the Rangers" comments but I think things have changed in Arlington. 2 World Series appearances and they have the look of a contender again. Bannister was a great hire, Hammels is under contract, and Darvish should be back next year.  

Edited by Otis 83
  • Upvote 1

The Hamels trade will likely turn out to be a good one for Texas because he's in his prime and has 3 yrs left on his deal at very reasonable prices for a staff ace...and yeah, he has been a huge part of their thrust into playoff contention....from the Phillies standpoint, it's far too early to judge this trade but so far a couple of the young pitchers have come up and pitched decently in the majors and the OF Williams has had a wonderful 2nd half of the season at AA Reading....he has hit some monster HRs.....the Phillies had to move Hamels because they will again lose 90+ games next season and won't contend until 2018 or beyond.....:unsure:

Didn't I say it would be another case of the "Rangers-being-the-Rangers" IF they included proven young pitchers like Gonzalez in a trade just for Hamels?

They didn't. So, well-played by them.

Now, let's just see how a 32-year-old Hamels bears up under the Texas sun next season when he's trotting out there every fourth game as the ace.

Only then can the bona fides of this trade be truly measured.

Edited by Old Titan
  • Upvote 1

The Ranger's resurgence is directly attributable to playing in the worst division in baseball. Or at least they are now "meeting expectations" for a team with a $150 million payroll.

I think the Rangers got a good deal in that they didn't get fleeced by giving away too much in the way of prospects that would have had an immediate impact (Gallo, Gonzalez, etc.) Also good for Alex and the Rangers to be able to keep him in the system.

Hamels has been solid, but not necessarily top-shelf ace quality with an ERA of 3.73... By comparison, Blue Jays rental David Price is 8-1 with 9 quality starts and an ERA of 1.95. I guess though that's why Hamels can be acquired at a discount and Price will be demanding $30 million per next year

Rangers still should be in sell mode as their best player is 36 years old....It happens fast. The Tigers were a David Ortiz HR from going back to the WS in 2013, now set to finish last in the Central.

They can always do it in two years, except with 5 less top prospects in their farm to develop or deal later. But the playoffs should be wide open this year, especially with Toronto losing Tulowitzki to (another) injury.

Hopefully the Rangers can pull it off this year or next, but I still think they have too many issues with their pitching and other areas to address...

Edited by ManiacAlum

TheEagleman has only seen Hamels pitch one game with Texas.....but I have watched the guy pitch for 9+ seasons with the Phillies....the man is good.... is he as good as David Price?....probably not...Price is a 1.... Hamels is a 1A at this point......but Cole was a very good buy at $22.5 million per year which I think goes up to $25 million in the final year or two of the deal....so he is signed thru age 35. The guy is a total pro...rarely has a start of less than 6-7 innings and is an innings eater of 200+ each season because he never gets hurt....no arm problems at all....that's rare for a pitcher who will go into his 11th season....and he always keeps his team in the game....he didn't pile up a ton of wins with the Phillies over the past few years because they rarely got him any run support.....don't forget that Cole Hamels is a former World Series MVP....the man shows up in the big games....in the playoffs, TheEagleman has no problem giving the ball to Cole Hamels when a series is on the line....I hope the Rangers make it to the World Series..B)

• Upvote 1

I agree, Eagleman. Dude has been pretty money over the years, including the World Series.

OT,

My point was referring to your sentiment that the Rangers are inept in general which seemed to be implied by the "Rangers being the Rangers" not specifically to this trade. Perhaps that was too nuanced of me. Or I erroneously assumed something that you weren't implying. If that's the case  I beg your forgiveness. 

• 2 weeks later...

OT,

My point was referring to your sentiment that the Rangers are inept in general which seemed to be implied by the "Rangers being the Rangers" not specifically to this trade. Perhaps that was too nuanced of me. Or I erroneously assumed something that you weren't implying. If that's the case  I beg your forgiveness. 

No question the Rangers in the second half of this season have been a different ball club than before the All-Star break.

Really like their manager - he seems genuinely tough, and it appears to have rubbed off on his players.

The freaky thing is that ALL FOUR of my favorite MLB teams over the years are in the playoffs:  Cubs, Rangers, Royals and Astros.

And, if you're wondering how I ever settled on that typically rag-tag assortment of franchises, I would have to say it's two-fold:  geography, and always pulling for the underdog.

Which no doubt is the inevitable result of being an ORU fan since early childhood...

Glad that Gonzalez made the playoff roster and will experience post season as a rookie. I think the MLB playoffs are the 2nd best (after the NCAA basketball tournament) sporting event.

We follow the Royals & Cardinals (Doc), but there are several teams that I like in the playoffs. Hated to see the Pirates lose last night, but I also like the Cubs. Wish they could have played the Mets or Dodgers.

The Rangers turn to Cole Hamels in the elimination gave at Toronto....they will be in good hands...Hamels is a cool cucumber.....now just get him some runs!...Go Texas!!!...:lol:

Edited by theeagleman5

"National Reaction: Chi Chi Gonzalez's 'mistake' gives Blue Jays life in ALDS."

That's a bit over-the-top considering the Rangers were already down 2-0 and only managed one run the rest of the game. And one of the Blue Jays runs was scored due to the Rangers intentionally putting on Encarnacion followed by Texas starter Martin Perez walking two batters. 

The Blue Jays have three guys with 40 HRs, and led the MLB in just about every statistical batting category. if you're gonna walk an injured Tulowitzki, then you're gonna be walking a bunch of people in various situations. That's asking a lot of a young, converted long reliever to get out of two bases loaded jams in the same inning.

So trying to pitch around Tulo was correct IMO, but I think the problem came when Chi Chi got the count to 3-2 and then went after him. Should have conceded the at-bat when it was 3-0 or 3-1.

But Evan Grant of the DMN thinks Michael Young should have been the 2011 AL MVP, so maybe he's right....

Anyway, what I really didn't understand was David Price pitching 3 innings of relief in Game 4?

I like Hamels and the Rangers in Game 5 if they can get some help from the middle of the order. Rangers have gotten nothing from Fielder.

Edited by ManiacAlum

Didn't Chi Chi come up small in the NCAA Tournament vs. Dallas Baptist a few years ago?.....:ph34r:

after going up 2 games on the Blue Jays, this outcome was not unexpected.  it ain't easy being a Ranger fan.:angry::angry: