Chi Chi Gonzalez call up?

ORUalum

Geez...are you kidding me???....If the Rangers can get Hamels for a few prospects including Gonzalez....that's a no brainer.....you gotta get the Ace.....Gonzalez looks good so far but it's only 4 starts.....Hamels is a true #1 and a stud and only 31 with no history of arm trouble.....he's been getting no run support the past few years in Philly....in fact, he leads all of MLB over the past 5 years in fewest wins when he gives up 3 runs or less.....also, Hamels is locked in for 3 more seasons at a relatively cheap price when you compare him to Verlander, Scherzer, Kershaw and other aces around the league....but the Phillies are going no where and need to deal him for young talent....we are rebuilding....Chi Chi would be the PERFECT new ace for our staff....and the Rangers have a shot to make the playoffs with Cole Hamels......make the deal!!!.....TheEagleman votes YES!..... :nerd:

that's what the hosts said as well Eagleman.  they thought the only untouchable prospect in the system was Joey Gallo.  Gonzalez only projects to a middle of the rotation arm.  there are only so many true aces.  it will cost the Rangers multiple high level prospects like Gonzalez to land Hamels.

That would be a bad trade for Texas. You can't lose several promising pitchers for years to come for one stud who could blow out his arm next week. It depends on exactly what they have to give up. Think about the regret the Mets had for going all in with Johan Santana.

This sounds just like the sort of trade the Rangers typically make - which is why they are the Rangers.

So a guy with five MLB starts (four as of 7:43 pm Tuesday) and an 13/11 K/BB Ratio is a proven commodity? More so than a 113-game winner who's finished in the top 10 of Cy Young voting four times, apparently.

Second thing - if we're going to compare a potential Chi Chi trade let's try to do so responsibly. Of the four prospects the Mets gave up for Johan Santana only one (Carlos Gomez) went on to become a productive Major Leaguer and even he was labeled a bust for several years before sort of figuring it out, and not even in Minnesota.

The Mets got three really good years out of Santana before his troubles and could have gotten more if not for some (possibly self-inflicted) overuse issues.

They almost certainly were able to recoup what they paid him for the three seasons his missed due to injury. And most importantly, NYM's recent struggles are almost entirely due to the Wilpon family's involvement in the Madoff scandal.

None of that has anything to do with Chi Chi but man, if you're going to cite history to back up an opinion, you've got to at least try to remember your historical example accurately.

I wasn't referring to the prospects, but the general concept of putting all your eggs in one basket.  The Mets paid $137.5 million for a 6 year contract at $22.9 million per year.  I don't think there is any way the Mets felt they got anything near their money's worth with that trade for Johan Santana.

Cole Hamels contract is a 7 year $159 million dollar contract and he will be guaranteed $23.5 million per year through 2018.  His lifetime ERA is 3.26 which is pretty good, but his combined record over the last 3 years is 22-28.  Maybe that is an indicator of the problems that the Phillies have with providing run support.

If they make that deal, they go all in.  Cole Hamels could continue to produce at a high level, but he also may fall off a cliff like Justin Verlander, who is currently guaranteed $28 million a year but who had an ERA last year of 4.54 and this year of 6.17.  He also has only pitched in 2 games this year.

The Rangers just need to remember how happy they were to get rid of that albatross of a contract they signed with Alex Rodriguez ($25 million/year for 10 years) and not make the same mistake with Cole Hamels.  The time to make the Cole Hamels trade is when you don't already have some very promising young pitchers and you have to pay that kind of $ to get quality pitching.

So a guy with five MLB starts (four as of 7:43 pm Tuesday) and an 13/11 K/BB Ratio is a proven commodity? More so than a 113-game winner who's finished in the top 10 of Cy Young voting four times, apparently.

Yes.

Never.  Trade.  Young.  MLB.  Arms.

While you're at it, I think Greg Maddux and Roger Clemens are available right now.  They have a bunch of Cy Young awards, too.

Yes.

Never.  Trade.  Young.  MLB.  Arms.

While you're at it, I think Greg Maddux and Roger Clemens are available right now.  They have a bunch of Cy Young awards, too.

Great examples, boss. Let's compare a 32-year-old dude coming off of a career season to a couple of 50-year-old guys who haven't pitched in eight years. Yep, apples to apples.

Look, the success rate of young pitchers, even guys who have early MLB success, is a long way from 100%. Every trade is a calculated risk. It's hardly an indefensible, franchise-crippling move if Texas includes Chi Chi in a deal for Hamels.

Again I will say: Alex is striking out less than three batters per 9 innings and has a FIP twice his ERA. In five starts. He is hardly a proven commodity.

By the way, why do we really care where Alex pitches? The only thing that should matter to us is that he succeeds, regardless of which uniform he is wearing.

Last but not least, it can be argued that Philadelphia, a non-contender that can afford to let guys find their footing in the Majors and has a track record of cultivating elite pitching talent (like Cole Hamels!) is a better spot for Alex anyway.

Sorry....it's a great trade for Texas as long as you don't have to give up Gallo....Chi Chi is a 3rd starter at best....hey, TheEagleman would love to have another ORU guy in our system but Gonzalez isn't a stud like Hamels.....Cole is the REAL DEAL....I only want to see him dealt because we are going nowhere for the next two seasons at least and we need young talent to get better....Hamels is a great guy and teammate....and healthy....and he deserves to be on a contender.....any pitcher could break down but Hamels shows no signs of that...he's an innings eater and rarely gives up more than 2-3 runs a start...to me, it's a no brainer for Texas. And I just checked it out...Hamels is signed thru 2018 ...he's in his prime at 31 and is a former World Series MVP....he can take the ball in the big games and perform....cool cucumber........ :nerd:

By the way...Chi-Chi took a loss last night....6 runs given up in 5.2 innings...didn't see the game but his ERA went from 0.90 to 2.27......A's were seeing the rookie for the 2nd time in a month....so looks like they figured him out.....his record drops to 2-2.... :|

Never said a word about where Cheech pitches.

I said it's stupid for Texas to include Gonzalez in any deal that only nets them Cole Hamels.

Because it is.

HUH?....I guess that's why you ain't an MLB GM.....Gonzalez and a couple other Ranger prospects for Cole Hamels is a wonderful trade for Texas.....heck, it could net them a World Series.....TheEagleman loves Cheech but he's not likely to ever be near as good as Hamels.....that being said, Cole got lit up by the Yankees today....so what do I know?....lol.... :?:

"There's a sucker born every minute."

- P.T. Barnum

"Have we got a trade for you."

- untold many GM's in the past 40 years to his Rangers counterpart

Never said a word about where Cheech pitches.

I said it's stupid for Texas to include Gonzalez in any deal that only nets them Cole Hamels.

Because it is.

That's, well, just plain not true.

Cheech took another loss today as the Rangers fell in Toronto, 3-2....Gonzalez went 6 solid innings giving up 3 runs on 4 hits but 4 walks hurt the rookie from ORU....he is now 2-3 with a 2.59 ERA...... :nerd:

The guy is pitching great; getting absolutely no run support.  Rangers are really scuffling right now trying to score runs.

Rangers had no problems getting some runs tonight.....they have 8 so far vs. Baltimore.....now they need to get some for Gonzalez...... :|