Chi Chi Gonzalez call up?

ORUalum

All signs point to Chi Chi Gonzalez making major league debut for Texas Rangers Saturday - DMN

LINK

ARLINGTON – All aboard the Chi Chi train.

With the starting rotation depleted, it appears the Rangers will turn to Alex “Chi Chi†Gonzalez to start Saturday’s game against Boston. Gonzalez, the club’s first-round pick in 2013, would be making his major league debut.

Gonzalez was scratched from his scheduled start against El Paso on Thursday night. Rangers officials said Gonzalez was not scratched due to a health concern, but have yet to announce a starter for Saturday.

• Upvote 1

They announced him as Saturday''s starter on the Rangers TV broadcast tonight. Good luck ChiChi! Only trouble is ORU will hopefully be playing in the winners bracket at the same time.

Uh......that doesn't appear to be the case.....looks like ORU will be playing in the elimination game in the afternoon....so you can watch Gonzalez go up against the Red Sox...... :|

Gonzalez had a shaky first inning but now has thrown 3 scoreless frames and the Rangers lead Boston 1-0 as we start the 4th....the Texas fans seem to love Chi Chi in this game being televised nationally by Fox due to the rain delay in St. Louis..... :nerd:

Cheech throwing no-hit ball through 5 innings, with 5 walks and a couple of K's. He stands to get the win if Texas can hold their 5-0 lead.

Cracking up that the Rangers radio crew described Gonzalez' style as "working deliberately".

I love Cheech, but it's true: the guy works slower than Congress.

Gonzalez' night is over....he leaves with a 6-0 lead after 5.2 innings of two hit ball.....very nice debut by Chi Chi....no reason to send him down...he looked very poised.....unless the Rangers fold the kid will get the win..... :clap:

As luck would have it I made it to the game fun seeing an alum put out A good showing

Gonzalez did ORU proud tonight....who is the last ORU pitcher to get a major league win?....I guess the kid with the Mets...Hefner.......maybe none got a win in their major league debut.....Mike Moore???.... :nerd:

A David Ortiz double with one out in the 6th breaks up the no-hit bid on the 93rd pitch, but Big Papi gets caught off 3rd on a leaping grab by Cheech for the 2nd out. Classy move by Ortiz who pointed at Cheech and clapped while standing on second after his double, as if to say "Well done, young man".

Gonzalez was lifted one batter later after a double by Mike Napoli, but the Rangers got out of the inning without giving up a run.

Stellar debut for Gonzalez: received a boisterous standing O from the Ranger crowd as he left the field.

• Upvote 1

Yes....the Standing O gave the TheEagleman reason to smile......excellent job by Alex Gonzalez tonight....the kid was a real pro out there....this could be just the first of many major league wins for #21..... :clap:

how 'bout that stellar base running from hamilton??  two homers last night and running the bases like a 10 yr old tonight.   just josh being josh

great job by Gonzalez in his debut! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Standing O for Chi Chi. #MLDebut pic.twitter.com/3K4bIovRg3

— Texas Rangers (@Rangers)

May 31, 2015

Nice job by @alexgonzalezchi in his major league debut. pic.twitter.com/QB6r3B67FY

— Texas Rangers (@Rangers)

May 31, 2015
  • Upvote 1

Looks like Otis is going to have to get some Rangers tickets.

That was awesome. Standing ovation was loud on the broadcast and got a lot of attention on Sportscenter and the MLB Network.

Chi Chi should get a spot in the Rangers patchwork starting rotation.

Maybe he can keep them within shouting distance of my 'Stros. ;)

how 'bout that stellar base running from hamilton??  two homers last night and running the bases like a 10 yr old tonight.   just josh being josh

I thought the same thing, till I watched the replay:  it wasn't Hamilton's fault.  

Adrian Beltre started down the line at third, then came back and tagged up, as if the ball had been caught in centerfield.

If Hamilton saw that (which he should be watching for), he assumed (correctly) he was in danger of being "doubled off" second for an out by the throw from center, so he started to scurry back.  

It was only then he realized the ball had actually dropped in for a hit, and he was stuck in no-man's land at that point.

I'm no Hamilton fan, but if I'm him, I'm headed back to the dugout to ask Beltre, "What the heck, dude?"  :fubar:

Every time I hear Chi Chi's name, I remember that episode of WKRP in Cincinnati where Les Nessman was doing sports and mispronounced Chi Chi Rodriguez's name as "Chai Chai ROD-druh-gweez." I miss that show! My favorite though, was when Mr. Carlson had someone drop turkeys out of a plane. "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly," he said.

Gonzalez is scheduled as the starter for the Rangers on Friday night at Kansas City against the Royals.....maybe some of the KC alumni will purchase a few tickets to support Chi-Chi......then again...maybe most are Royals fans....  :clap:

The casting for WKRP couldn't have been better. Classic cliches and stereotypes with great chemistry.