NCAA Regionals

Old Titan

TheEagleman is in favor of changing the ORU slogan from Expect a Miracle to Let's Kick Some A$$...... :nerd:

Headline from NW Arkansas newspaper: "Eagles can hang with bigger boys."

Um...excuse me...but when it comes to baseball talent, I think we're just as "big" as the "big" schools.

We're not exactly junior varsity.

I really do not get why everyone on here thinks every thing is a jab at ORU. Every post about Arkansas is an "us against the world, they don't respect us" type post. You really think "Eagles can hang with bigger boys" is disrespectful? It isn't talking about your talent. If anything, it is saying despite being small, you guys have the talent.

Sorry, but if you ask everyone in the country about ORU baseball they will say they are a smaller program than the SEC or Big 12 programs. It is a fact. You play in a weaker conference, and have 20,000 less in enrollment than the University of Arkansas. Saying ORU can hang with the big boys is a compliment. You guys aren't "big" when it comes to baseball. This is your 4th NCAAT appearance in history. This is Arkansas' 14th straight. We have been to more CWS than ORU has been to the tournament. We have had more players drafted in the last 2 years than any other school in the country. That is what the headline is referring to. We are a name brand in college baseball, and ORU isn't on a national scale.

Does that mean we will beat you? Heck no. Does that mean we are a better team? Absolutely not. However, our history is much richer than ORU's, so that is what is being referred to as "bigger boys" when comparing us to you. At the end of the day, how many players we get drafted, and what conference we play in will be irrelevant on Friday. You guys are clearly a very good team this year. I am personally more worried about playing you guys than I am Oklahoma State. Your bats could put up 10 runs on us if we aren't sharp on the mound. However, that still doesn't change the fact that the perception of you guys is being a small school.

Boss Hog....You may want to double check your stats on how many times ORU has made the NCAA tourney in baseball.

You lost some credibility points with that one.

• Upvote 1

Let's face it.....OSU is the favorite here because they are playing at home.....but.....Arkansas has a good team and ORU also has a good team....heck, St. Johns is pretty decent also.....this is gonna be a great regional......If ORU can hit the ball....we can surely win..... :nerd:

Um, Im not going to say ORU is "big time", but this is ORU's 25th tournament appearance, not 4th.

Big time arkansas' 28th appearances barely eclipses small time ORU.

Arkansas isnt even the biggest name in this regional.

• Upvote 1

I googled it, and that is what came up. 1978, 2011, 2012, and 2015 is what came up. That is what I get for using wikipedia. My apologies. The sad thing is I was there in 2006 when you beat us, so I should have known that site wasn't right. It still doesn't change the fact that you guys are not as nationally known. You have had good teams, but it still doesn't make you a big boy, and there is nothing wrong with that.

ManiacAlum, I never said we are the biggest name. I know more about Arkansas than OSU, so I am not going to compare ORU to OSU. I know our history, so that is why I used us as an example. Again, you guys may be better than us, and may beat us tomorrow. That does not change that you are from the Summit League, and most people around the country will consider this an upset. I won't consider it an upset because I know the teams you guys have had. However, the majority of the country thinks this is a 2 team regional, and a lot are picking Arkansas. Like I said, on Friday, that will not matter.

Whether my facts are right or wrong, it still doesn't make any sense that so many ORU posters think we are disrespecting ORU, or looking past them. That isn't the case at all. You probably hope that is the case so you can continue to play the "us against the world" card, but go read what our coach said about you guys today. Go read what posters on Hogville are saying about being worried about you guys. You came into Fayetteville and beat us on our own field, so you certainly can do it in Stillwater.

we all know ORU baseball was built on when Arkansas would use to agree to play.........unbelievable 

pretty diplomatic answer from Coach Folmer.

no mention that the series ended because Van Horn refuses to play in Tulsa.

5 min in...

"...how much do you think those days of playing Arkansas in non-conference has really allowed the program (ORU) to be where it's at?"

• Upvote 1

Thats fair. ORU fans, including myself, can be defensive from putting up with so much crap from fans, local media, etc.

I thought the article from the Arkansas paper was good, it has a lot of quotes from Folmar. And it was more of an "at a glance" piece anyway.

And I would expect OSU or Arkansas to advance, just like the experts, but as an ORU fan thats fine with me. Kyle Peterson seems to love St. Johns, so thats even better.

What I never hear anyone talk about is that ORU advanced to 6 regional finals in our last 9 tournament appearances, including the 2006 championship (should have won in 2011 too). And we beat 9 "power five" teams along the way. Thats incredible for a school from a low major conference. It will be interesting to see if we can keep that going in this new era of ORU baseball.

we all know ORU baseball was built on when Arkansas would use to agree to play.........unbelievable 

pretty diplomatic answer from Coach Folmer.

no mention that the series ended because Van Horn refuses to play in Tulsa.

5 min in...

"...how much do you think those days of playing Arkansas in non-conference has really allowed the program (ORU) to be where it's at?"

Ha! Classic.

This is just fantastic, we will actually have the opportunity to play teams from the SEC and Big XII. Wow, talk about "Big Time"! Oh wait, aren't we 5-1 against the Big XII already this year and undefeated against OSU and OU this year?

This is just fantastic, we will actually have the opportunity to play teams from the SEC and Big XII. Wow, talk about "Big Time"! Oh wait, aren't we 5-1 against the Big XII already this year and undefeated against OSU and OU this year?

Great, so you guys should roll through the regional. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry for the "chip" Hogfan but if you are from ORU you will understand we never get respect. Of course Arkansas should be favored by the national pundits, you guys are from the SEC and have more name recognition. I do get a chuckle when it comes to OSU however. Over the course of the last 2 years our record against them is 3-1 in our favor including sweeping them both in Tulsa and Stillwater this year. But, that apparently means nothing to the media. Good luck and if you have any pull with Arkansas, try to get us back on your schedule. We regularly/annually play OU, OSU, Witchita State and Missouri State. Why not Arkansas? Fayetteville is just as close.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was a pretty complimentary article. The weather forecast looks promising.

ORU Alum,

Thanks for posting the presser. Coach Fulmer is a class act. He represents our school well.

OSU gets a 5-4 walk off win in the 9th vs. St. Johns....so it will be ORU vs. the Red Storm tomorrow afternoon in an elimination game..... :sweat:

Eagleman,

Who are the Red Storm? Don't you mean the Redmen? hehe

Eagleman,

Who are the Red Storm? Don't you mean the Redmen? hehe