NCAA Regionals

Old Titan

It also helps us that since St Johns is a decent 4-seed, OSU will probably have to pitch Michael Freeman, their ace, in the first game.  He currently has an ERA of 1.05 that ranks 4th best out of the entire NCAA.

ORU ranks 2nd nationally in batting average (.321) and 24th in ERA (3.10).

Arkansas does not rank in the Top 50 in either of these categories.  However Arkansas is 35th in fielding percentage (.976).

Some thoughts from the SB Nation Arkansas Razorbacks site:

Dave Van Horn announced shortly after the Selection Show that he'll likely go with Trey Killian on the mound vs Oral Roberts and they'll continue to evaluate Keaton McKinney, whose hip was bothering him in the SEC Tournament last week. McKinney would likely start the second game if he's available.

However, AND THIS IS REALLY GREAT NEWS, Missouri State can't host the super regional because of a stadium conflict with the Springfield Cardinals, the local AA team. Therefore, if Arkansas wins the Stillwater regional, the supers will take place at Baum Stadium in Fayetteville.

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2015/5/25/8655521/ncaa-baseball-tournament-bracket-arkansas-2-seed-stillwater-razorbacks

Since the game is on the SEC network is there a chance that it will also be on ESPN3?  Would love to stream it on my phone at the office.

One of these eight teams is going to the CWS in Omaha (sorted by RPI):

Missouri State (7)

Oklahoma State (11)

Iowa (29)

Arkansas (35)

Oral Roberts (37)

Oregon (62)

St. Johns (66)

Canisius (193)

Fairly balanced group of eight - and while a solid list, no name that "strikes fear" or is a clear favorite. 

Why not us???  Go EAGLES!

This truly is a wonderful draw for getting to the CWS as Jason mentioned above.....while it's no cakewalk....these are all teams ORU can handle if we bring our A game to Stillwater.....and Missouri State can be beaten also if they advance.....plus if I understand that comment above....we avoid the Arkansas ace in the opening game?.....not a bad thing although I am sure the Hogs have a lot of pitching depth.... :nerd:

The last time ORU went to the Super Regional, we beat Oklahoma State (twice) and Arkansas - we never had to play Princeton.  Could it happen again??  Why not the EAGLES??

• Upvote 2

What's the word on X....our #2 pitcher?....if he can't go next weekend that hurts our chances of advancing...... :sweat:

X is day-to-day.  He will be evaluated again tomorrow, but nothing has been definitively decided on his condition.  If he can't go, there are a number of pitchers that will need to step up their game and pitch in (pun intended).  I think that we have a deep stable of pitchers.  With our bats, I like our chances the deeper we get into the tournament.  I don't think that the coaches are afraid of putting most of our pitchers in there to compete.

tough year for the pitching staff - Garza (set up man) and Stout (closer) go down at the beginning of the season.  Giller (weekend starter) goes down mid season and X (weekend starter) injured in the conf tourney.  just an amazing job by Coach Sned and Coach Folmer working around arm injuries.

i would feel a lot better about ORU's chances if they had their full compliment of arms.

Some thoughts from the SB Nation Arkansas Razorbacks site:

Dave Van Horn announced shortly after the Selection Show that he'll likely go with Trey Killian on the mound vs Oral Roberts and they'll continue to evaluate Keaton McKinney, whose hip was bothering him in the SEC Tournament last week. McKinney would likely start the second game if he's available.

However, AND THIS IS REALLY GREAT NEWS, Missouri State can't host the super regional because of a stadium conflict with the Springfield Cardinals, the local AA team. Therefore, if Arkansas wins the Stillwater regional, the supers will take place at Baum Stadium in Fayetteville.

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2015/5/25/8655521/ncaa-baseball-tournament-bracket-arkansas-2-seed-stillwater-razorbacks

Wow, assume much this guy?

First off, even IF Arkansas somehow won the Stillwater Regional, I fail to see how they automatically would host anything, should Iowa advance from Springfield instead of Missouri State. 

The No. 2 Seed Hawkeyes have a better RPI and better winning percentage than the Hogs - why would they automatically have to go to Fayetteville?

I seem to remember somewhat similar scenarios to this in past seasons (where both "paired" No. 1 Seeds failed to advance from their respective regionals), and the Super Regional site boiled down to several factors, including which advancing school was willing to BID more for the right to host.

Maybe that's what this guy is assuming:  the Razorbacks would simply BUY the right to host, should it not be clear cut who-hosts-who.

Regardless, this clown seems to think getting past ORU (or, St. John's, for that matter) is a formality, in either the first-round or later in an elimination game.  All he talks about is what it will take to beat OSU.

Do these people not remember Chad Rothford and Chance Chapman?

Good. Please look past ORU. Start planning a Fayetteville/Stillwater Super Regional. And definitely forget about 2006.

Since the game is on the SEC network is there a chance that it will also be on ESPN3?  Would love to stream it on my phone at the office.

Usually SEC Network games can be viewed on ESPN3 only if one has SEC Network through their cable package. With this being an NCAA event with only sporadic SEC Network coverage, it's possible that restriction could be lifted, I would think.

Good. Please look past ORU. Start planning a Fayetteville/Stillwater Super Regional. And definitely forget about 2006.

Absolutely. It surprises me that in all the (admittedly limited) analysis of the pairings that I could find, no one mentions that (1) we're 2-0 against OSU THIS YEAR, and (2) the last time we were in a regional with both OSU and Arkansas, we won it. Those would seem to be relevant data points. If there were Vegas odds on winning the regional, I think we'd be a pretty good value.

TheEagleman sets the odds for the Stillwater regional as follows......OSU  2-1.....Arkansas 4-1....ORU 5-1.....St. Johns 12-1.......for my money....I would be inclined to lay a few bucks on the Golden Eagles..... :nerd: