Western Illinois at ORU

theeagleman5

The Leathernecks come to Tulsa tonight for the final series of the season....this is a big one because WIU is playing for a chance to get into the Summit League tournament next week and ORU needs to get a sweep to improve our overall record for an at large bid just in case we falter in the league tournament.....WIU is 17-30 and not very good....ORU is 35-14....TheEagleman is expecting ORU to plate a lot of runs and I set the over/under number for the 3 game series at 27......GO BLUE!!!... :clap:

High School graduations will be held both nights of this game series at the Mabee Center so be sure and factor in a little extra travel time in order to be at the stadium for the first pitch.  Congratulations ORU Seniors and Go Eagles!

Downpours early morning in Tulsa; still sprinkling at 9:00am, more rain in the forecast till Sunday.

Looking kinda iffy all the way around...

ORU blanks WIU tonight, 2-0 at JLJ to open the series.....awesome pitching for the Golden Eagles as Trujillo (6 inn)...Leary (2 inn) and Sequeira (save) hold the Leathernecks to just 6 hits while striking out 8 combined.....ORU now 36-14....... :clap:

Another shut out for ORU pitchers tonight as Altimirano, Holley and McDavid combine to blank WIU, 4-0.....HRs for Sequeira and Cummings....even Mantle chipped in with a pair of hits for the Eagles who are now 37-14....while the pitching is fantastic this weekend....TheEagleman is a little concerned about the bats but perhaps it's just a glitch....hopefully we will break out tomorrow although we are not likely to make my over/under # of 27 this weekend..... :nerd:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but in looking on thesummitleague.org site, it appears that Omaha is not listed as a team that is eligible for the Summit League postseason baseball tournament this year.  If so, then that means Western Illinois and North Dakota State, who are currently both tied in the baseball standings at 10-19, are each fighting for the 4th seed in the tournament today.  So Western Illinois still has a lot to play for today.  

I do not know about tie-breaker scenarios, but if ORU beats Western Illinois today, they may knock them out of the 4 seed and cause us to have to play NDSU in the first round game of the tournament.  We have completely owned Western Illinois this year, but NDSU has beat us twice by 1 run in each game.  I think I would prefer to face Western Illinois rather than NDSU in the 1st round game of the Summit League Tournament.  Western Illinois beat NDSU 4 out of 6 games this year, so if head to head competition is the first tie-breaker, then if NDSU loses today, and we beat Western Illinois, then Western Illinois would still be our 1st round opponent.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but in looking on thesummitleague.org site, it appears that Omaha is not listed as a team that is eligible for the Summit League postseason baseball tournament this year.  If so, then that means Western Illinois and North Dakota State, who are currently both tied in the baseball standings at 10-19, are each fighting for the 4th seed in the tournament today.  So Western Illinois still has a lot to play for today.  

I do not know about tie-breaker scenarios, but if ORU beats Western Illinois today, they may knock them out of the 4 seed and cause us to have to play NDSU in the first round game of the tournament.  We have completely owned Western Illinois this year, but NDSU has beat us twice by 1 run in each game.  I think I would prefer to face Western Illinois rather than NDSU in the 1st round game of the Summit League Tournament.  Western Illinois beat NDSU 4 out of 6 games this year, so if head to head competition is the first tie-breaker, then if NDSU loses today, and we beat Western Illinois, then Western Illinois would still be our 1st round opponent.

Either a WIU win or NDSU loss will knock the Bison out of the playoffs and make WIU our first round opponent, as the Leathernecks have the tie-breaker over NDSU.  Omaha is not eligible for the tourney due to their transitional period for joining D-1.  NDSU and Omaha are scheduled to play early today, so we will likely know the outcome before (or during) our game.  And, while I would rather face WIU in the first round, there's no way we would "throw" today's game...just have to hope Omaha pulls out a win.

Yes, we need all the wins we can muster just in case we do not win the Summit Tourney. "Tanking" today's game would not help for at-large consideration.

It took 12 innings, but NDSU finally beat Omaha. Please take out WIU.

NDSU just walked-off Omaha in the 12th inning 5-4.  The fourth seed (and our first round opponent) is dependent solely on our game this afternoon.

Thank you. Bison softball season ended today in Eugene, so this lessens the hurt a bit. See you guys Wednesday in Sioux Falls.

Yes....ORU rolls to the sweep 11-3 over WIU today thanks to 4-5 for Anthony Sequeira including a 2 run HR....also 3 hits for Domenico and we got good pitching again including a scoreless inning from Kurt Giller....So ORU finishes 38-14 on the regular season and faces NDSU in the first round of the Summit Tournament..... :clap:

• Upvote 1