ORU at NDSU

theeagleman5

ORU travels to Fargo tonight to face the fast fading Bison of North Dakota State....these guys actually beat us a game in the opening Summit series at JLJ last month but hopefully the Good Guys can avoid a loss up north.....the combined record of the Bison starters this weekend is 4-16.....and ORU has won 15 of the last 16 games.....so TheEagleman is setting the over/under for runs scored in this three game series at 26.......Trujillo is back on the mound for the Eagles in the opener....GO BLUE!!!.... :nerd:

hummm....so you think we can average 9 per game?....TheEagleman will take the over also..... :nerd:

Just when I think they can't possibly score more than a dozen runs in a game AGAIN--well, to quote Reagan, there they go again!

Go, Eagles!

I grinched and moaned a little earlier in the season about ORU leaving runners on base (fearing a carryover of the same season-long affliction suffered last year), but during this hot streak I've been amazed at not only how the Golden Eagles have manufactured runs, but also how they've immediately responded offensively whenever the opposition scores.

Wednesday night in Stillwater was a perfect example:  after grinding out a 4-2 win in Tulsa, ORU took one right on the chin with a 3-spot from the Cowboys in the bottom of the first inning. 

The natural reaction might be, "Oh, no - here they go", but instead the good guys put up big crooked numbers in their subsequent two frames to ice the game by the third inning.

You gotta love it when your team shows that kind of "we're-never-out-of-it" toughness.  Very impressive to behold! :clap:

• Upvote 1

Who can give me a report on the injuries?  what's the injury and how much longer will they be out?  Giller, Domenico, Martinez, Stout, others.

Another 10 run rule win for ORU....good pitching by a healthy Trujillo an some long balls lead by Seguira's 6th of the season.....this team is on a roll like we haven't seen for many years.....we are now 26-10 overall and 14-2 in the Summit.....Eagles and Bison playing a DH this afternoon.....gotta get this pair played before the rain rolls in....right now that's about the only thing stopping this ORU team..... :nerd:

Who can give me a report on the injuries?  what's the injury and how much longer will they be out?  Giller, Domenico, Martinez, Stout, others.

baseball seems to be more secretive about injuries than Sutton and the basketball team.  Hax had the baseball trainer on the pregame a few games ago and he would not use player names and spoke pretty generally.  about all i took away from the interview was that he is a big KC Royals fan.

someone can correct me if i'm wrong here, but this is the impression i've gotten from what little Hax has said during the broadcasts

Giller - might be done

Martinez and Dominico - are close to being back

Garza and Stout - if they come back, it will be around conference tournament time

• Upvote 1

ORU wins game one this afternoon 5-3 over NDSU....good pitching by Altamirano for 6 2/3 innings then the bullpen closed it out Holley and Sequeira....we are now 27-10 and playing for the sweep in the nightcap..... :clap:

The Bison pitchers have found a way to cool off the ORU bats today......after getting only five in the opener....ORU trails 4-1 in the 6th inning of the nightcap....the Golden Eagles will need to come from behind if they want the sweep up in Fargo..... :sweat:

Not so fast....Sequeira just hammered a two run HR in the top of the 8th and ORU has taken a 5-4 lead over NDSU.....this team is never say die...... :nerd:

ORU drops game 3.  repeat of the loss to SDSU -- errors, poor base running, throwing to the wrong bag, etc.

all streaks have to end.  shame it had to happen now.....probably no shot of getting ranked this week.

Oh well....they died....can't win them all....ORU blows it in the bottom of the 9th....NDSU wins the finale, 7-6.....we fall to 27-11 but still get the series.....now we head home for a game with UALR..... :|

ORU falls hard in the RPI from yesterday's loss to #254 North Dakota State.  We started the series at #30 and fell to #34 yesterday after beating NDSU on Friday.  Today, we sit at #44 (source www.d1baseball.com).  NDSU has played eight games against top-100 competition and have two wins to show for it - both against ORU.  Fortunate for us, I don't think NDSU will make it to the Summit League tournament, but if they do, I hope we don't play them in the first round.  Their #1 pitcher seems to have our number.

At this point, in order to get ranked, we need to win ALL Summit League games.  In addition, we can't get blown out of any of the remainder of our mid-week games (which right now is only UALR and at Wichita State).  Hopefully we can get some make-up dates for the lost WSU and MSU games in February.  Personally, I don't really care if we get ranked.  I want to make the NCAA tournament and, whether we are a #4 or #3 seed, I hope that we have the confidence to know that we can get to the Super Regional based on the way we have been pitching and hitting this season.  Our mid-week game successes should provide that confidence.

UALR is #156 and 3-4 against teams ranked in the top-50.  As easy of a time as we had with UALR earlier in the season, Tuesday's game is not a "gimme game".  If you're in the Tulsa area, you need to make an effort to come to the ballpark and breath some life into a team coming off a relatively bad series (although we won the series, they really didn't play that well defensively) and put the team on another winning streak.

Based on what I heard on the radio this week, several of our infield fielding errors were from the players not getting down on the ball and the ball skipping through their legs.  I have to believe that the playing field was not very good and the players were attempting to "keep their heads" - literally.  Hopefully coming to the friendly confines of JLJ will bring us some quality wins over the next four games.

I think some coach somewhere once said: "Depth is great until you need it". That's kind of how I feel about these conference inclement weather doubleheaders. That's the second one against a Dakotas school where we couldn't get outs if our lives depended on it.

ORU's RPI hit isn't as bad as I anticipated it would be after 1) Playing NDSU and 2) Losing to NDSU.

Even a sweep might have still dropped us to the low 30s.

It may have helped that ORU opponents OU, Texas Tech and Memphis all got series wins against quality conference opponents, moving up in the RPI.

We did pick up a few more votes in the coaches poll, moving up to 40th overall. But nothing in any of the others.

OSU actually moved up a spot in the Collegiate Baseball poll.  :shake:

We should have scheduled a game between your baseball team and our softball team.

Kidding.

Although the teams are pretty similar in their respective sports. RPI of 51 and getting votes in the polls(30th/35th).