2015 - 2016 Roster

ORUalum

6-10 240.....That's just what ORU needs this upcoming season to replace Henderson inside.....a transfer with experience to help Owens is perfect!....let's sign him up!... :nerd:

He is a religion major at Wake Forest - set to graduate so he will be available for next season. Have to wonder if Danny Manning also helped with this process.

I saw a transfer from Wake Forest on campus the other day.

How long ago did you see him on campus? Would be nice to hear from him soon otherwise he may be moving on to other options. 

Sure hope we can land this guy!?!

Could be the missing piece to the puzzle. And, he could get PLENTY of playing time next year!

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the update.  i was wondering where things were with this guy. 

i wonder what the chances of Bobby Word returning are if things do work out landing another player.  i have not seen anywhere that he has generated much interest.

• 2 weeks later...

daniel%20green.jpg

LITTLE ROCK – Daniel Green, a 6-10, 240-pound forward who began his college basketball career at Wake Forest, has announced he will transfer to UALR for his senior season. Green becomes the fifth

member of head coach Chris Beard’s first recruiting class.

Green chose UALR after receiving interest from Charlotte, Oral Roberts, Rice, Illinois State and Cleveland State.

Link

Bobby Word's twitter states he is still unsigned....might be worth a call to see if he would be interested in returning to the team.

After the initial excitement, I wasn't that high on Green:  injury-filled career, and hasn't played in 3 years.  Super skinny, not a scorer.

As for Word, he left because he was the odd man out in a crowded backcourt (Emegano, Young, Anderson, Crawford). His return would not help ORU's fortunes next year.

As I've whined about for years, ORU's most pressing problem on the roster is lack of space-eaters underneath.

And unless Chris Miller is somehow academically eligible his freshman year (and I can find no one in-the-know who says he will be), ORU is going to be really lacking in that area this coming season.

And unless Chris Miller is somehow academically eligible his freshman year (and I can find no one in-the-know who says he will be), ORU is going to be really lacking in that area this coming season.

that's not good news.......summer school???  expect a miracle????

Bobby Word is a solid 3 point shooter who could provide significant depth. If we had 1-2 injuries to our guards there would not be a big drop off for Bobby to play at SG. Especially with the frustrating loss of Bilbury, having someone else who knows the system and could be plugged right in would still provide value.

If instead we could get a reliable big body who could contribute, perhaps from a juco, then I would prefer that to resigning Bobby Word. However, with 350+ D1 schools out there, I would think that most of the useful big men have been signed by now.

Any team could use a reliable bench player if they sustain injuries to their starters.  The challenge is keeping those back-ups motivated until their time arrives.  Otherwise, their attitudes can become cancerous in a locker room.

Neither Bobby or his dad are apparently content with him not starting at ORU.  Which would be problematic this upcoming season, since I'm told that Bobby ranked behind returning starters Obi Omegano and Aaron Young, redshirt Aaron Anderson, and newcomer Chris Crawford in the backcourt for 2015-16.

While I'm sure the coaching staff shares your sentiment about never having enough good bench players, Bobby apparently didn't like the writing on the wall.  He needs to be wherever he can be happy, otherwise it's bad for all parties concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

i think this is everyone:

1. Obi Emegano- RSr

2. Brandon Conley - Sr

3. Aaron Anderson - RJr

4. Jalen Bradley - RJr

5. Aaron Young - Jr

6. Darian Harris - RSo

7. Albert Owens - So

8. Javan White - Fr

9. Chris Miller - Fr

10. Chris Crawford - Fr

11. Kris Martin - Fr

12. DaQuan Jeffries - Fr

known interest or offer:

Chima Moneke - JUCO - F

Jalen Bradley - JUCO - PG

DaQuan Jeffries - HS - SF

Chris Owens - HS - SG

So, Orlando "Tre" Vance makes No. 13 on the list.

Barring some unforeseen development over the summer, this is your 2015-2016 roster of scholarship players.

Which, of course, is already down to 12 eligible players if Chris Miller redshirts as expected.

Talked to a 6A high school coach this weekend who thinks ORU got a good one in Daquan Jeffries.  Seemed surprised he wasn't on the radar of more prominent mid-majors in the region (in other words, TU).

The last time I heard a local coach offer anything similar about an ORU signee was re: Kory Bilbury, which turned out to be pretty prophetic.

It feels like between the Chris/Chris/Kris + Daquan combo we could have a good core for the future but that doesn't make me feel super confident about the upcoming season.

It'll be nice to one day seize on the opportunity of having an Obi/Domo/Glover type of player again.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe Bobby can learn a thing or two from watching Lebron up close..... :|

best of luck to Bobby.  it's a good thing he held on to that red-shirt and played his first season at ORU.  the year off will help him add to his game and come back with 2 good seasons for Cleveland State.