Coaching Carousel 2015

Old Titan

Liberty announcing coach today. School willing to pay big money. Swung and missed on many. Would not be shocked to see Ritchie McKay return.

— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN)

April 1, 2015

EDIT:

it's McKay

As I reported earlier … Ritchie McKay is returning to coach Liberty for the second time. Story: http://t.co/hc36jQuIAO

— Gary Parrish (@GaryParrishCBS)

April 1, 2015

Pure speculation on my part but could Chris Lang in his tweet listed above mistaken Coach Scott Sutton for his brother Coach Sean Sutton?  Secondly, what does Mr. Goodman (cited above) consider to be "big money"?  With what Coach Sutton is being paid here I would suggest that Liberty would have to be talking at least $750,00.00 per year base with incentives before I would even start to consider a move.  Of course, I am not Coach Sutton and there are factors other than money that motivates someone to make a change in their life.  One of those factors would be the issue of who I could bring with me by way of my assistants/support staff and what their respective pay would be. 

Just checked Chris Lang's Twitter account and he cited Evan Daniels as saying that the new LU coach will be Ritchie McKay.  Jeff Goodman confirms the same.

Pure speculation on my part but could Chris Lang in his tweet listed above mistaken Coach Scott Sutton for his brother Coach Sean Sutton?  

No mistakes unless you consider who might have planted this info.  Could it be a former ORU Athletics employee stirring things up?

The ORU coach's name randomly pops up as a candidate for the Liberty job, despite the fact that it makes zero sense on any level.

The only person suggesting the move is possible is a Liberty beat writer, who almost certainly got his info from a athletic department employee.

Liberty has a senior staffer with lifelong ties to ORU.

Connect the dots.

OK, let's connect those dots and see what we come up with: you're saying that a young, up-and-coming athletic adminstrator at Liberty (Mike Minyard) is going to risk his career, plus his relationship with his alma mater (ORU), his first boss (Scott Sutton), his last boss (Mike Carter), and the Lynchburg media by planting a fictitious rumor that's frankly only of interest to about two dozen people on this message board?

And can someone please tell me WHY he would do this?

As far as that goes, can anyone provide ANY real proof to make such an incriminating accusation?

Folks, all I know is this: there is no greater supporter of ORU and its athletic endeavors in the country than ol' MM, and I would be STUNNED if he had anything to do with planting a false rumor in the media that would be embarrassing for ORU in general, or Scott Sutton in particular.

Well said OT, and I did not mean to sound like I was accusing him in my last post. That is why I asked why someone would think that.

Who said it was false, or even embarrassing? Leaks like this happen all the time, at every school. Where do you think they come from?

I can think of a dozen reasons WHY someone would leak the info, and I don't think it's nearly as scandalous as you're acting.

It's really not a big deal at all. But it is pretty difficult to envision a scenario where this particular coach suddenly emerged as a candidate for this particular job without placing the mutual connection between both sides right in the middle.

I totally agree with OT - but what could have played out is that the writer asks MM about the potential new coach, to which MM responds, I cannot comment about that at this time.  The reporter, later in the conversation, and still trying to get a scoop, asks a follow-up question to MM such as, who would be your dream coach for Liberty.  MM takes the question literally - rather than seeing it as a reporters attempt to get a scoop, and responds Scott Sutton.  The reporter, thinking he got his scoop, reports it.  

• Upvote 1

Who said it was false, or even embarrassing? Leaks like this happen all the time, at every school. Where do you think they come from?

I can think of a dozen reasons WHY someone would leak the info, and I don't think it's nearly as scandalous as you're acting.

It's really not a big deal at all. But it is pretty difficult to envision a scenario where this particular coach suddenly emerged as a candidate for this particular job without placing the mutual connection between both sides right in the middle.

Wrong on every single count. |(

I don't even know what that means.

So what is the scenario that is playing out in your head that leads to Scott Sutton being mentioned as a candidate for the Liberty job?

Fair enough. If you say so I'll take your word for it.

Fwiw, like I said before, it's not particuarly scandalous no matter who leaked it. Administrators invite coaches they have connections with to interview for open jobs all the time. Insiders pass along tidbits to media they work closely with all the time.