Coaching Carousel 2015

Old Titan

Let the games begin!

Keep an eye on this one: Sean Sutton becoming a strong candidate as Arkansas-Little Rock's next coach. A terrific fit in a lot of ways.

— Dave Sittler (@DaveSittler)

March 19, 2015

If that happens, I'd love to see Tom Hankins come back as an assistant coach again.  I don't know what his arrangement is at SIU, but it would definitely require an Asst HC title for him to make the move and establish a pecking order within the coaches' ranks.

Another name to follow as these jobs come open is Norm Roberts, current assistant to Bill Self at Kansas, previously Bill's wingman at ORU and Tulsa, and former head coach at St. John's.

My guess is that Norm would be looking for a more high-profile job than UALR, but you never know...

doesn't Sittler promote one or the other Sutton brother every "coaching carousel"?  wasn't he responsible for the Scott Sutton/Nebraska rumors that ended up being unsubstantiated?

having said that, i'm sure Sean is ready to lead his own program again and UALR would be nice because he could stay in the region and be near his dad.

A quick check with the U.S. Department of Education's website:  www.ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetails.aspx for 2013 shows UALR spent $535,648 for their head men's basketball coach and $435,828 for his assistants.  Further, the total basketball budget that year for UALR was $1,654,446 and their entire athletic budget was $9,367,469.  At the same time ORU spent $664,428 for Coach Sutton and paid his assistants $470,352, with a total basketball budget $2,712,614.  Further, ORU's total athletic budget was $12,124,195.  Therefore, why would Coach Sutton even consider such a move which is clearly a demotion in pay and budget?

I'd love to see Sean have his own program again but UALR would be a tough pill to swallow. Being in the same region, we'd most certainly be competing for similar levels of talent.

Although if it means we could have Hankins back ... 

A quick check with the U.S. Department of Education's website:  www.ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetails.aspx for 2013 shows UALR spent $535,648 for their head men's basketball coach and $435,828 for his assistants.  Further, the total basketball budget that year for UALR was $1,654,446 and their entire athletic budget was $9,367,469.  At the same time ORU spent $664,428 for Coach Sutton and paid his assistants $470,352, with a total basketball budget $2,712,614.  Further, ORU's total athletic budget was $12,124,195.  Therefore, why would Coach Sutton even consider such a move which is clearly a demotion in pay and budget?

Sittler's tweet references Sean not Scott

FWIW, the rumor was that Scott Sutton interviewed for - and then removed himself from consideration for - the Bradley job when Geno Ford was hired:

BREAKING: Geno Ford fired at Bradley http://t.co/KTWdDNzJUV

— HoopDirt.com (@HoopDirt)

March 23, 2015

Would he (or Sean, for that matter) revisit that job?  Bradley has always been kind of a graveyard for Missouri Valley coaches, but for a brief time in the 80's was a factor nationally, with Dick Versace and his curly perm.

Not sure how good a job Bradley is at this time. The Valley is all hoping Greg Marshall get another job.:)

Looks like Josh Pastner is trying to get out of Memphis before they fire him. Very good recruiter but not much of a coach.

Alabama, Alcorn State and now Arizona State jobs are open. Alabama is going after Marshall.

heard on sports radio that Barnes believes he is on the way out at Texas and that they will also pursue Marshall.

Texas BB is a much better job than Alabama. He has passed up a couple of jobs in the SEC already. Might have a hard time passing up Texas.

Texas can throw a lot of money at him, but Marshall should understand that it is still a football school. Wichita State's actual attendance is better than Texas. It will be interesting to see what he does. I suspect that Marshall will get a nice raise at WSU and stay where he is.

Terry,

I think with Texas you are getting all those recruits from the state and they are building a new BB facility within 2 years. Marshall is a really confident guy and supposedly he has stated he could win a NC at Texas within 5 years.

Although his gig at Wichita St is the best of mid majors I think. He ask for and he gets anything he wants from the Koch brothers. How many coaches recruit via private plane and make 2.5 million especially at that size of school? Great job and by far the best in the Valley.

As Doug Gottlieb has stated, sometime you just don't mess with 'happy'. But the resources that Texas has and will commit to will make the job almost impossible to turn down.

More $$$ doesn't always make you happy...and Marshall is basically a god at WSU....he should stay there.... :nerd: