Coaching Carousel 2015

Old Titan

I fail to see how a Power 5 school hiring a coach from ORU is any less likely than hiring one from Florida Gulf Coast, Boston U. or Drake.

Have any of those three schools (for example) gone through anything resembling the controversy and scandal ORU has suffered in the hearts and minds of the general public?

Any ORU graduate/employee/fan/etc. knows from experience that association with ORU comes with its share of baggage, whether we think that's fair or not. 

It can even be a mitigating factor in the hiring process, for a business school graduate, a theology professor, or a men's basketball coach.

I mean, let's face it - we've all been there before, in a professional or social setting: 

"Yes, I went to/worked at ORU."

"No, I'm not weird."

"No, it's really a great place to work/attend school.  The people are fantastic, and being there made me a better person."

"Well, that was then, but things are much better now."

"Yes, you should hire me/give me a loan/let me date your daughter/etc."

Overcoming any such stigma to garner a high-profile coaching job would certainly be no small feat, for Scott or any ORU coach (which may explain why ORU has had two successful head baseball coaches leave for ASSISTANT coaching jobs at Power 5 schools)

That being said, I suppose anything is possible when it comes to an ORU coach landing a high-major job.

It's just not very likely....

TheEagleman once had a prospective employer ask me if I was going to try and convert everyone in the office....lol.....I didn't get that job.....last week I was at the race track on Belmont day and was wearing my blue ORU baseball hat....I noticed a guy staring at me and he comes over and asks me if ORU is for Oral Roberts University....I said yes....he laughed and said this was the first time he had ever seen one of those and asked me why I was wearing it and I admitted it was my alma mater....he said that he had seen our basketball team on TV a few times but didn't know we had a baseball team....I mentioned that we had just played in the NCAA Tournament and over the years baseball has been our best sport.....I think he was impressed.... :|

• Upvote 2

OT, you left out:

"Oral Roberts...isn't that the guy who saw a 10,000 ft Jesus and demanded money for the school or else he was going to kill himself?"

Got that in an interview a few weeks ago and it wasn't the first time.

• Upvote 1

Hey, come on....it was only a 900 foot Jesus....but thankfully that Florida dog track owner came thru with the cash...... :|