Assistant Coaching Vacancies

ORUalum

This looks like a nice hire. It certainly strengthens our KC connection. Could really help in recruiting. 

Very interesting hire.  Our 2017 recruit, Derrick Walker, I assume played for him on the Mokan AAU team.                            

Really good hire!

Looks like Elijah Landrum of Tulsa Central also plays for MOKAN Elite

• Upvote 1

Love seeing former players staying connected with the program. #putDoMointheHall

Wow, on paper that's a stunning hire. Can't wait to see what he can do on the recruiting trail. 

Love it when I'm proved wrong on stuff like this!

ORU new basketball assistant Rodney Perry has strong AAU connections

full article

excerpts --

“Everyone has told me about how great the people are here at ORU, and they told me I’d be a great fit,” said Perry, who also left his seven-year post as head coach at Avila University in Kansas City, Missouri. “I’m extremely excited, and I’m looking forward to the things we’re going to be able to do.”

“I coached against some of the best players in the country while coaching in AAU,” Perry said. “I’ll be able to bring what I learned on the circuit to ORU.”

“Rodney’s connections to AAU opens a lot of doors,” said Sutton on the eve of his 18th season at the helm of the Golden Eagles. “He has a lot of connections around the country, and he’s coached in Kansas City and that’s been a recruiting area of ours for a long time.”

“At Avila, we weren’t afforded a lot of scholarships, so we had to really develop players. That will be a key asset I’ll take with me to ORU,” Perry said. “I’ve been known for being able to develop kids, and Sedrick Johnson is a prime example.”

“I’ve known Marc (Stricker) for a long time, and he played at UMKC on some really great teams,” Sutton said. “He’s well thought of in the coaching ranks, and I was blown away by his knowledge of the game and his knowledge of recruiting.”

“I took my time to make sure we got the right coaches,” Sutton said. “I also wanted the right people who will allow this program to grow the right way.”

Obviously, it's going to take a season or two to evaluate but after chewing on this for a few days, TheEagleman has to say that our new assistants look to be very good hires especially from a recruiting perspective. Not sure what input these guys will have in practice and on game nights but ORU surely has two guys who have a lot of contacts on the recruiting trail....and let's face it, we haven't been bringing in many Caleb Greens, Ken Tutts and DoMos lately.....so in this case it seems that change should be good.....changes needed to be made and the Suttons don't appear to be going anywhere in the near future.....any chance that the prior assistant coaches may have been given a gentle nudge out the door???....:mellow:

6 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Obviously, it's going to take a season or two to evaluate but after chewing on this for a few days, TheEagleman has to say that our new assistants look to be very good hires especially from a recruiting perspective. Not sure what input these guys will have in practice and on game nights but ORU surely has two guys who have a lot of contacts on the recruiting trail....and let's face it, we haven't been bringing in many Caleb Greens, Ken Tutts and DoMos lately.....so in this case it seems that change should be good.....changes needed to be made and the Suttons don't appear to be going anywhere in the near future.....any chance that the prior assistant coaches may have been given a gentle nudge out the door???....:mellow:

You know, Eagleman, I was thinking that it made no sense to let Kyan to go a rival...but maybe that made it easier to swallow if he was gonna be "nudged."

But that's nothing more than pure speculation on my part.

I doubt Kyan was nudged.  I think he was pretty well liked by players and coaches.  Of course that is only an opinion from the outside looking in.